Get Out of Your Own Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the dead kid is clickbait?

That's a really weird and disturbing way to interpret it. Given U2's pretty consistent and impassioned views on the particular subject of refugees and their plight, your response to the animation is at least a little tone-deaf.

That's a really weird and disturbing way to interpret it. Given U2's pretty consistent and impassioned views on the particular subject of refugees and their plight, your response to the animation is at least a little tone-deaf.

i asked you the question because that seemed to be what you were implying.

my response to the image was that it was inappropriately used in the context of the video.

I'm not seeing how it's "clickbait." It's supposed to be controversial. It's an ironic image from an ironic scene of the video. Everything's not alright in this fun cartoon paradise.

my response to the image was that it was inappropriately used in the context of the video.

Same. It definitely got a reaction, so .... yay?

I'm not seeing how it's "clickbait." It's supposed to be controversial. It's an ironic image from an ironic scene of the video. Everything's not alright in this fun cartoon paradise.

I'm not sure *anything* is all right in that cartoon. There are rainbows, I guess, so it's got that going for it.

Ugh.

What a sad attempt at "look how relevant and edgy we are." I'm just stunned U2 would include some of those images in that video. I'm not offended, I'm embarrassed for them. Well they'll certainly get the headlines and clicks they're so desperately looking for with this one. It would be nice to think people would want to check it out to hear the music, and that the music was strong enough to deliver the message. And I didn't even think this was one of the songs about all that. Wasn't this supposed to be about his daughters?

And to think I was just considering listening to this record a third time.

Last edited:
Odd video but not necessarily bad(or good). As for the child on the beach, it was unnecessary and doesn’t fit the song. I mean, they could have showed a puppy being run over by a car and that would be jarring too and illicit a reaction but it wouldn’t fit either.

That imagery would fit with the tone/lyrics of Red Flag Day or Summer of Love but not this song.

It’s definitely not click bait but at the same time it’s out of place.

Song: 8/10
Video: 5/10

Oh jesus I just looked at the comments on the video. Somebody released the alt-right trolls. Absolutely disgusting how many of them there are and how seemingly supported they are. I'm obviously not being rational but it kinda unnerves me with them going on tour in the US this year...

Ah, it was posted on Brietbart. Makes sense. Absolute scum of the earth.

Last edited:
Yea, I wish I could say I liked it.

I hate to say it but I can see how someone could post the comment "Look at these old SJWs attempt at being provocative and controversial" on youtube.

Not saying I agree wholeheartedly but it feels oddly dated for a friggin' cartoon...and the content misplaced.

It's a cartoon world...

P.S. It's worth noting, as I think we can all agree, that their videos have always been inconsistent. They get about 25% right, IMO. This does seem like a different sort of misstep, though. I guess I worry more about the single selection in the first place.

Last edited:
No kidding. We are talking about it, are we not?

Good to see them pushing the envelope a bit with the partial theme of the album being commentary on refugees and democracy and a video that supports it. Will definitely get people talking for sure and I agree was probably better suited for Red Flag Day or Summer of Love. U2 have earned enough cred to be able to do stuff like this anyways so I’m not real worried about blowback from this, but with them they always seem to be a friendly target regardless of what they do.

I really don't understand the criticism of "a bunch of old dudes trying to be relevant."

That's totally true when they're trying to make a big hit. That's totally true when they're trying to feature or work with big artists.

Y'all need to get out of your own way on this, though. That's U2 being political and doing it because they have always been political. Can't those four old dudes genuinely be unhappy like the rest of us?

I hope we can see the other video they shot in Mexico. I watched this once, I'll probably never watch it again.

I must say, I was sort of iffy on this song for awhile. But I've really come around to it! Once I stopped hearing it as Beautiful Day part 2, I really grew to appreciate it. I like it a lot now!

I really don't understand the criticism of "a bunch of old dudes trying to be relevant."

That's totally true when they're trying to make a big hit. That's totally true when they're trying to feature or work with big artists.

Y'all need to get out of your own way on this, though. That's U2 being political and doing it because they have always been political. Can't those four old dudes genuinely be unhappy like the rest of us?
I'm with the rocket scientist on this one.

This is exactly the opposite of U2 trying to be hip and cool with the kids.

This is, frankly, U2 being what made them U2. It's spitting in the eye of the IRA U2. It's broadcasting live from Sarajevo or pranking the president during ZooTV U2.

I welcome their return. Been a while.

Oh jesus I just looked at the comments on the video. Somebody released the alt-right trolls. Absolutely disgusting how many of them there are and how seemingly supported they are. I'm obviously not being rational but it kinda unnerves me with them going on tour in the US this year...

Ah, it was posted on Brietbart. Makes sense. Absolute scum of the earth.

Good.

It's done its job then.

It definitely harkens back to the U2 of old when they were more directly confrontational in their politics. Some of their fans, I think, I will welcome that.

So good on them. It's like the political equivalent of playing the greatest hits, or doing the Joshua Tree 30 tour. Hey, Bono should call the White House during the tour and order pizza! (or McDonalds....have to update it). Though playing in the Palestinian territories (or Alabama) might make more of a statement.

Will be interesting to see if they display some of these images when they play the song live. Damn, that will get the crowd going! That would be edgy. Pretty, pretty, edgy. They haven't been this edgy and confrontational since they did the anti-Trump thing during Bullet (or was it SBS? It was def one of the two) at that corporate gig. Edgy. And definitely relevant. No one could doubt their relevance if they did that.

Oh well. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Last edited:
Well I think it’s difficult to discuss the video without discussing the video.

The animation is quite good. As are the production values. Very professional. very, very professional.

Last edited:
I like that it's "in your face," I just wish the video was more clever. The comment that it feels kind of dated, rings with me. The kids on the globe - that is some 70s "I'd like to teach the world to sing" kind of imagery right there. The "Liberty Cracker" box for "liberty starting to crack line."

I think it's visually interesting, and it's not like it needs to be more subtle, I just didn't find it particularly clever, when it really could have been in someone else's hands, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom