Get Out of Your Own Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My hope is that somehow a combination of increased radio exposure via a push to new formats and promotional performances like the Grammys will help this chart at least at number 83 on the Hot 100, so that Ordinary Love is no longer the biggest chart success in the "songs of" era.

Best Thing failed to chart, although it was undoubtedly their biggest radio hit since Vertigo.

They should release Love is Bigger, perform it on Grammys like the BBC version, then Summer of Love in the spring. Just give up on this song.

I am struggling to find a U2 song that I've gone back and forth on more. I never hated it- in fact, always liked it on some level. It took a while for me to really get it and warm up to it more than just "it's a nice enough song" then it just keeps going up and down.

Some days, I'll hear it and it's just there. I'm waiting for it to end. Other days, I'll hear it and it really grabs me. Today, I heard it for the first time in a few days and felt an energy and vitality in the music I hadn't noticed before.

This was, in my mind, only the latest example of the "SOE is a grower" crowd being proven right. Even on the simple, straightforward pop songs, I'm finding new things all the time.

Same here. It’s not a terrible song, but I like it better if I ignore the lyrics. I skip it and American Soul if I’m feeling impatient.

Best Thing failed to chart, although it was undoubtedly their biggest radio hit since Vertigo.

Anyone know the current chart placement for it? Oddly enough, I'm still hearing it on the radio somewhat consistently, so agreed on the "biggest since" deal.

so ... did they really animate the dead Syrian boy washing up on the beach in that little teaser thing they put on Facebook?

:uhoh:

Just an observation, they are really trying to market themselves to black audiences with these last two video releases.

tumblr_nxbbyxoHKq1smcqifo1_250.gif

so ... did they really animate the dead Syrian boy washing up on the beach in that little teaser thing they put on Facebook?

:uhoh:

Yeah, not a fan of that piece. the rest of it is mostly visually interesting, although the kids on the globe is pretty cliched.

Yeah, not a fan of that piece. the rest of it is mostly visually interesting, although the kids on the globe is pretty cliched.

Perhaps not a good teaser, but in-animation it's awesome. They've got the "perfect beach sunset" advertisement looking thing and BAM, screams "wake up everyone."

For a song that has no teeth, this music video has fangs. I just wish they made Trump fatter.

The style is also 100% my kinda stuff. I dig everything about this music video.

I get that it's supposed to be jarring and make you uncomfortable, but I still don't need to see a real life dead child in a pop video.

I get that it's supposed to be jarring and make you uncomfortable, but I still don't need to see a real life dead child in a pop video.

I think the impact of the event itself, the photographing and distribution, serves as a symbol beyond just the death of this individual child. Sure, it might be a PG sounding song, but clearly they wanted to be a little more serious in some light. I credit them... for all the blabber they kept on saying about how the election changed everything and delayed the album, I hardly hear something convincing enough on album to justify delay.

I think the impact of the event itself, the photographing and distribution, serves as a symbol beyond just the death of this individual child. Sure, it might be a PG sounding song, but clearly they wanted to be a little more serious in some light. I credit them... for all the blabber they kept on saying about how the election changed everything and delayed the album, I hardly hear something convincing enough on album to justify delay.

i understand the intent, i just don't think it was successful.

ETA: well, it's on Drudge, so maybe it was successful -- although they seem more upset about the KKK and Trump juxtapositions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom