Get Out of Your Own Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono said in the Howard Stern interview that the song was a "letter" addressed to one of his daughters, who is an activist.

Worst song on the album. My gut reaction to the initial seconds we heard of the Mexico video shoot were correct.

Same. I don't really know how to describe it other than it's boring.

I love the Edge backing vocals, but I don't know if you could make a song any more U2 by the numbers.

Beautiful Day Rhythm Section
Extremely Literal Lyrics
Catchy Chorus, but almost too catchy

And of course U2 would choose this song as the next single. It's not bad, but it's the type of song I feel any artist could pull off. U2 has always been about making pop music, but their own way.

This would be the beer/pee break for me when it comes on during the show. Unless they can add something to it, the song goes no where.

It doesn't take only "Beautiful Day" rhythm section, it emulates "Beautiful Day" structure, build-up (and break down after the chorus) with the difference that it chopped the "see the world in green and blue... after the flood all the colours came out" section". Even the final Edge guitar solo-outro you can see it in "Beautiful Day" specially in the live arrangement.

This song is so underrated, to me it is one of their better pop songs lately.
The second chours is the higlight and in the verses I really like the synth sound in the background.
To me the song is better than BD(which is to me one of U2 most overrated songs).

I've gone hot, cold, luke warm and now comfortably warm on this one.
It's a hell of a catchy chorus, the first verse is wonderful, it's got some nice though generic guitar, and it ambles along at a good clip. It's harmless at worst, and quite decent in places.
But overall, I just am not offended by it. My kids adore it. It's probably their fave.
Probably a 6.5/10 for me at this stage.

I have yet to loathe it. I don't know what the extreme hate for it is, aside from perhaps bitterness of why the band went with it in the first place. On the neutral playing field it's indeed harmless.

This song is so underrated, to me it is one of their better pop songs lately.

The second chours is the higlight and in the verses I really like the synth sound in the background.

To me the song is better than BD(which is to me one of U2 most overrated songs).

No way is this better than BD....... That song captures a feeling and energy as well as a classic U2 sound that this one doesnt. I dont get why people say its like BD its like a very weak 2nd cousin.

BD was also epic live (maybe not so much now, but it was). Get Out stinks live imo

I have yet to loathe it. I don't know what the extreme hate for it is, aside from perhaps bitterness of why the band went with it in the first place. On the neutral playing field it's indeed harmless.

Yeah the hate group about this song is one of the biggest head scratchers I’ve ever seen at Interference. It’s a fantastic song, just like The Best Thing. Too many cynical people.

I guess people think it's a song about America because of the second verse, even though Bono has already said it's about his daughter.

I dunno.

I suspect lines can lend a song to have more than one meaning or audience, but yeah, it's ultimately about her.

Yeah the hate group about this song is one of the biggest head scratchers I’ve ever seen at Interference. It’s a fantastic song, just like The Best Thing. Too many cynical people.

Yeah, it's a pleasant tune. The only real issue I ever had with it was that its yet another U2 song relying on the G-A-D-Bm chords (which The Best Thing already used... in that order). But that's a pretty minor thing at the end of the day. I just listen to it for what it is and it gets the job done.

Best thing is a wonderful song (and the bass is so underrated. I think it’s one of Adam’s best work )

I cannot support Get Out. Maybe it’ll change over time

No way is this better than BD....... That song captures a feeling and energy as well as a classic U2 sound that this one doesnt. I dont get why people say its like BD its like a very weak 2nd cousin.

BD was also epic live (maybe not so much now, but it was). Get Out stinks live imo

BD is to me a mainstream pop back-scratcher song, when it came it sounded too much un-U2. It was too much pop for being them, too easy. If you compared to what they had release in the 80s and 90s.

I agree with you that it did work live, but only well on the Elevation and Vertigo tour.
On the tours after I think its been a bit booring.

Ofcourse GOOYOW is a pop song, but it has a more electronic feel over it, more atmosphere.

I love Best Thing — that’s a pop roller coaster with a joyful heart and an aching soul where Bono grabs you by the shirt and sings in your ear the whole Tim. It’s exhilarating, and I can’t think of another U2 song it sounds like.

This one sounds like it belongs at the end of an animated movie about being yourself. Its pleasant. But that’s about it.

There are two things that are true.

1) this song is better than many here are giving it credit for

2) it's not better than Beautiful Day, that shit's crazy talk

These are facts.

Not that I think this song is better than Beautiful Day, but I can't imagine the shit fans and public would give that song if it were released now.

What?! It's a Beautiful Day, Don't let it get away??? can we get any more simple and trite?!?

Oh here we go - See China right in front of you? WTF??
Tuna fleets clearing the sea out :huh:
Bedouin fires at night... holy hell, really??

Get Out is a fine song. All the pieces fit, its done well, but in the end, it hit me like Invisible did. Good song, i get why people may like it a lot, but it's not not different enough to draw me back again and again.
Even The Best Thing that i've heard around 3000 times, i still am more interested in listening too because its a bit different for the band.

Tim won't leave me as I am
Tim won't take the boy out of the man

Jesus. Tim sounds like a real asshole.

Back
Top Bottom