Get Out of Your Own Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm worried about this album. U2 keep insisting on putting truly stupid things into their songs.

Best Thing - "A boy" lyric
GOOYOW - Horrible rap at the end (that cuts off on the single version no less)
American Soul - A chorus that isn't even its own. Refujesus. Opens with the horrible rap
The Blackout - Rhyming names

And they also destroy the title of The Showman by adding "Little More Better" in brackets.

These guys have lost their minds. :down:

Refujesus, spare me. You act as if Bono pukes gold every time he opens his mouth when it comes to lyrical genius.

You also conveniently leave out Little Things, which has in my opinion has a very self-reflective and powerful lyric.

I'm worried about this album. U2 keep insisting on putting truly stupid things into their songs.

American Soul - A chorus that isn't even its own. Refujesus. Opens with the horrible rap

And they also destroy the title of The Showman by adding "Little More Better" in brackets.

Anyone ever tell you, that you kinda obsess over the smallest of things?

Refujesus, spare me. You act as if Bono pukes gold every time he opens his mouth when it comes to lyrical genius.

You also conveniently leave out Little Things, which has in my opinion has a very self-reflective and powerful lyric.

I left out Little Things because it doesn't offend me, this was a complaining post by myself. Yes, Little things doesn't have anything stupid in, but 1/5 ain't good enough.

Last edited:

I hate when people bring up that 'A boy' lyric - U2 are an Irish band and that's just an Irish turn of phrase.

OK, here's what I'm actually liking about all of these separate threads about the SOE songs. It seems to be spread pretty even between, "I love this one, not so much with the other one," but then the next person comes along and has exactly the opposite feeling. So a little for everyone?

Personally, I like all of them but I'm really enjoying GOOYOW right now because it's fun to listen to. I like all 3 versions of TBT, and of course Blackout. American Soul will be good live, but it hasn't grown on me yet.

Did I miss the American Soul memo? Is that really out there or you guys just find it online for a few hours?

Did I miss the American Soul memo? Is that really out there or you guys just find it online for a few hours?

Scroll up, someone posted a link to American Soul.

And forgive me if someone already posted this, but GOOYOW is on Spotify now. Wasn't there earlier today, or at least I didn't see it. Blackout on Spotify too.

I'd have to say, although The Blackout is great, I think this is the best track so far from a pure songwriting perspective. The production lets it down a bit, though not as badly as with The Best Thing. Yeah, there is a definite similarity with Beautiful Day, but I think it stands up well enough on its own to merit the revisit of that particular 'template'. The chorus means business, and the way it kind of comes in two parts that then fully connect for the climax is cool.

Scroll up, someone posted a link to American Soul.

And forgive me if someone already posted this, but GOOYOW is on Spotify now. Wasn't there earlier today, or at least I didn't see it. Blackout on Spotify too.

Whoops, except on the American Soul thread. Sorry.

At this early juncture I can confidently say this is the worst song they've ever done. So a congratulations is on order for You're the Best Thing About Me, which only held the title for not even two months!

I'm thinking it has a Brandon flowers/killers vibe rather than Coldplay. Certainly melodically. It's not the best song by any means it might of been more suitable around 2007 - 2012.

It's kind of just a middle of the road background paint the house type song.

Disappearing Act blows this out of the water. What happened to Larry's drums and edge's guitar ?

At this early juncture I can confidently say this is the worst song they've ever done. So a congratulations is on order for You're the Best Thing About Me, which only held the title for not even two months!

I don't know, Best Thing is still the bottom for me, though the whimpered whoa oohs are easily the worst thing in their catalog. It's like a dog fellating itself.

After a few more listens it is growing. I do like this song, and it is catchy as hell. But the rap/preach completely and utterly ruins it. I hate that part with a passion. It's the equivalent of making a decent painting and then having a massive shit on it.

I actually think the band has run out of fresh ideas and Bono has run out of lyrics. Not surprising given the longevity of the band. I get the feeling this might be it for album's not named greatest hits.

I actually think the band has run out of fresh ideas and Bono has run out of lyrics. Not surprising given the longevity of the band. I get the feeling this might be it for album's not named greatest hits.

I just get frustrated because they ARE capable of making good songs, they proved that with The Crystal Ballroom and Lucifer's Hands, both of which didn't even make a fucking album, yet American Soul does. :angry:

If "Book Of Your Heart" is a decent song, I might have to jump off a cliff.

I just get frustrated because they ARE capable of making good songs, they proved that with The Crystal Ballroom and Lucifer's Hands, both of which didn't even make a fucking album, yet American Soul does. :angry:

If "Book Of Your Heart" is a decent song, I might have to jump off a cliff.

Crystal ballroom is really good and yet they think it's not in the top 10 for SOI... Baffling.

Can they just release
All my Life already ?

Last edited:
After a few more listens it is growing. I do like this song, and it is catchy as hell. But the rap/preach completely and utterly ruins it. I hate that part with a passion. It's the equivalent of making a decent painting and then having a massive shit on it.

You are clearly upset at that part, so I would suggest doing what I will do (until I have the album and it can flow naturally, as I am told, into American Soul) and edit the song in iTunes to cut off the last 15 seconds.

American Soul is fucking atrocious. The lyrics are fucking awful. The lyrics are literally like a Bono interview with Charlie Rose pasted over the Volcano You & And I Are Rock & Roll riff...it's really, really bad IMO. I liked the other tunes on the album so far but this one sucks.

DISREGARD guys - wrong song thread. Sorry.

They're now fully in Dad Rock mode. Had low expectations for the album but even I didn't think the songs would be this bad.

Last edited:
Crystal ballroom is really good and yet they think it's not in the top 10 for SOI... Baffling.

Can they just release
All my Life already ?

Judging by these SOE tracks, they'd have pounded the spark out of it and buried the hook by the time the mix was complete.

Bill Flanagan reckons this album could be better than AB. :doh::doh:

U2 have to stop surrounding themselves with yes men and get Eno and Lanois back on deck.

Back
Top Bottom