Get Out of Your Own Way - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:06 PM
Ive given this about a dozen spins today so Ill weigh in on my thoughts and try to provide some reasoning rather than a blanket statement of "This song is like finding gold in my pocket" or "This song is like poop in my cereal bowl"

My thoughts:

The first 20 seconds are beautiful sounding. The record player "screeching/popping" sound at the very start that then leads into the chiming and organ sound is just awesome.

Bono's vocal delivery is cool and different. I especially like how he manages to deliver the line "The Face of liberty is about to crack, she had a plan until she got a smacked in the mouth and it all went south" he changes speed and style in his delivery and it works.

The lyrics are on point, my favorite being "The enemy is armies of assistance", which to me means people who are complacent and don't speak out…love it. The Lincoln's ghost line does stick out as odd but its not that bad and Im okay with it.

The chorus start of "Get out of your own way" is a bit subdued in the way "You're The Best thing About Me" is but then when it goes into the main chorus it picks up and explodes. During which we hear the background singing of "oooooh, ooooooh, oooooooh" which sounds awesome!

Edges solo is nice but seems like they have him on a leash and he doesn't really let loose. He is also not front and center in this song but similar to SOI, in the background doing a lot of work.

The rap part is very out of place and is just off to me, I don't like it. Im sure it will have a flow on the album into American Soul but I don't care for it at all. Thankfully, its at the very end of the song and I can ignore it.

I hate rating songs so soon but my first impression (might change for the better or worse): 8.5/10 its a good song.

CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #122
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskinsella View Post
I could name plenty.
Congrats, you want a prize?

Zoomerang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #123
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabiggestu2fan View Post
I think this will be u2's most divisive album. Seems for the most part either people really love the songs or really hate them.
Nah, Pop rang.

Still remember the lengthy Pop vs ATYCLB arguments when I signed up here.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:32 PM   #124
Acrobat

Get Out of Your Own Way

So, where's that day of the dead video then? Are they going to release that in a couple of weeks or what??
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #125
Refugee

Local Time: 07:06 PM
Wonder if we will get the music video for this on Friday along with a push on Friday as if it were a single, I.e. featured on Spotify, that kind of thing.
RoKKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:31 PM   #126
New Yorker

After several listens I like this Get Out of Your Own Way best out of the releases so far. Best Thing would have been right above it but single mix and the way it was produced takes away from a bit. I can see some U2 fans hating it but I think Edge sounds good and it was a nice little solo, relative to what he has been putting out.
Flying FuManchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:38 PM   #127
The Fly

So far this honestly feels like the first U2 album I'm having a hard time wanting to even own. These songs are kind of OK, but they really don't have anywhere near the magic of the first few decades of U2. If I wasn't already a U2 fan, why would I even want to own this? It feels like an effort to be excited about this album.
drt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #128
War Child

I feel weird about this one.

I like it. I like the verse melody. I love the chorus. I love the solo. I love the vibe. The lyrics are shaky, of course, but whatever.

But my problem is that it...just doesn't really hit me. I don't know why. It's a bit too lightweight or something. There's no sense of gravity? I'm struggling to convey my feelings on this one - I like all the individual pieces of it, but when put together they just sound like U2 By Numbers.
The John Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:45 PM   #129
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphorn View Post
OK, here's what I'm actually liking about all of these separate threads about the SOE songs. It seems to be spread pretty even between, "I love this one, not so much with the other one," but then the next person comes along and has exactly the opposite feeling. So a little for everyone?

Personally, I like all of them but I'm really enjoying GOOYOW right now because it's fun to listen to. I like all 3 versions of TBT, and of course Blackout. American Soul will be good live, but it hasn't grown on me yet.
you will also get the crowd that will come back and say "Ok I gave song X 10 more listens and it is not as bad as I thought. Like most U2 songs they take a few listens to get used to!"
cseggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:47 PM   #130
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by akann View Post
Bill Flanagan reckons this album could be better than AB.

U2 have to stop surrounding themselves with yes men and get Eno and Lanois back on deck.
Flanagan also said something about this one not being immediately accessible like most great U2 records tend to be and will take time to get...something like that!
cseggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #131
War Child

Also, from a production standpoint, I think there's not a big enough liftoff from the prechorus to the main chorus, which is what made Beautiful Day so damn invigorating.
The John Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:16 PM   #132
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The John Tree View Post
I feel weird about this one.

I like it. I like the verse melody. I love the chorus. I love the solo. I love the vibe. The lyrics are shaky, of course, but whatever.

But my problem is that it...just doesn't really hit me. I don't know why. It's a bit too lightweight or something. There's no sense of gravity? I'm struggling to convey my feelings on this one - I like all the individual pieces of it, but when put together they just sound like U2 By Numbers.

Stakes. It’s missing stakes at this point. TBT has the nice tension in the question of, if you’re the best thing about me why am I walking away from you? That’s interesting.

At this very early juncture, GooYow sounds like the song U2 would have written had they broken up after the Vertigo Tour and reunited to write a song for a Pixar movie in order to win an Oscar. It has an uplifting, uncomplicated message and is supremely well executed and sounds like the U2 you used to love.

It’s also stuck in my head right now. Tomorrow many be different.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:18 PM   #133
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomerang96 View Post
Congrats, you want a prize?
Have these songs hit you at a bad time of the month?
jameskinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:38 PM   #134
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskinsella View Post
Have these songs hit you at a bad time of the month?
Im not sure there’s a good time of the month to hear these, tbf.

Beware that your Trump-esque remark might set off some of our more sensitive SJW here, but for your sake I hope it doesn’t.

Anyway, are you looking forward to making a sweet playlist a few years from now with these classics sitting shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Steets, Bad or Stay?
Zoomerang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:12 AM   #135
War Child

I’m liking the song quite a bit. The soaring chorus ranks among their best of the 2000’s, but I think the versus are a bit clunky. They’re hard to sing along with and it’s hard to imagine a song that refers to masters, slaves, and Abe Lincoln being any kind of a hit on mainstream radio. Overall though, a solid effort.

For now, I would rank it a somewhat distant second to The Blackout among the songs we’ve heard.

U2freakboy is offline   Reply With Quote