Get Out of Your Own Way - Page 50 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2018, 06:05 AM   #736
Refugee

Local Time: 05:48 PM
I thought the Grammy performance of GOOYOW was very solid, song is starting to grow on me more, was not one I really enjoyed initially.

zoocarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #737
Babyface

Local Time: 09:48 PM
Still a poor man's copy of Beautiful Day but they are allowed to rip off their own songs. Just wish there was more lift off somewhere in the song. Ok but certainly not great.

derekkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #738
War Child

Local Time: 10:48 PM
Is this song a single or not? I'm very confused about if it's been "released" as a "single" yet. No chart positions in the UK, nothing
Jarvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #739
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:48 PM
I think the Afrojak Remix of Get Out is quite good. If Edge has to rip off a riff or sample, the middle portion of the remix would have been fine with me.
Flying FuManchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #740
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekkan View Post
Still a poor man's copy of Beautiful Day but they are allowed to rip off their own songs. Just wish there was more lift off somewhere in the song. Ok but certainly not great.
I agree with you.

Definitely clear they used the Beautiful day formula here. Which is fine- as you say, they're allowed to use their own songs for inspiration. I'll never understand why critics and fans alike expect U2 to have to be Earth shattering and completely different than anything they'd ever released before to be good.

I was thinking of Get out of your own way and what it lacked compared to Beautiful day and City of blinding lights. Aside from the obvious that BD kicked off this U2 3.0 era if you will, there's the differences in sound and feel. BD says "hey, remember those anthems you fell in love with. Here, we're back to that." The song contains some 2000 era bells and whistles as we all know. However, in addition to that, it has a section that truly and authentically recalls 1980s U2. The "See the world......." bridge and the riff in the outro truly capture the JT era, particularly In God's Country. Also, the "what you don't have you don't need it now" vocals immediately recall the high energy, belting War era Bono. Similarly, COBL actually builds and soars like an 80's anthem then at the bridge- Bono shouting "time, time, tiiimmeeeeee......." as Edge winds up that riff- you're getting a dose of early 80s U2 energy again.

Red Flag Day has that early 80s energy. Little Things obviously has that 80s (and 90s with the personal themes) intensity and heartbreak that connects U2 to so many people. The building to a climax, soaring guitars with passionate vocals.

That's really what Get out of your own way lacks. It's very clearly trying to be the next big U2 hit and just as clearly using the BD template. However, it lacks the true callbacks to the U2 energy and as a result, without having much else ground breaking going on, falls short. Even if it had that energy- it would still had to have been DAMN good for the public to eat it up like they did COBL and BD. A good deal better than I think it is.

I go back and forth a lot on the song- I've never hated it. For now, I quite like it. Nice enough song, nice enough message and it fits with the theme of SOE. It's not the clunker some make it out to be.

In my humble opinion, for singles, here are the songs that could do it:

Red flag day- Has enough of the U2 energy, yet very modern sounding, political and personal themes. I think fans and public alike would enjoy it. Very different from what the average person is expecting from U2.

Summer of love- Relevant themes. Excellent song musically and vocally.

Showman- Catchy as hell, nice angle to approach the subjects it tackles from and U2 has never sounded like this.

Love is bigger- Epic U2 anthem. Just like with little things- no new ground, but they get what they're good at right here.

These songs are either different enough or actually good enough to get a lot of attention.
U2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:11 PM   #741
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D. View Post
Nah, I think I've heard enough about Trump everywhere else, I don't need more at a concert.
Plot twist: the political rants of the tour will all be directed at Mitch McConnell
superchuk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #742
The Fly

Eh. I'm on live and let live terms with this one. I don't hate it. I don't love it. 6.17 out of 10.

I'll sometimes have to cringe to get past the "Ah-ah-ah-ah-a-aaaahhhh" -- it feels so weightless and un-U2 to me -- but darned if this song doesn't otherwise lodge itself in your brain and stay there. Which ... I guess was the plan
J_Frank_Parnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:50 PM   #743
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I have a confession to make. I used to think that GOOYOW doesn't sound that much like Beautiful Day, but when they played it in Tulsa, my first thought was “Why are they playing Beautiful Day again?”
Rachel D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:01 PM   #744
The Fly

My favorite version of the song is the Womankind mix. This version eliminates the opening ahahaahs, Kendrick's sermon, and uses the "if I could sing it to you" part three times and closes the song with it. This version is also just 3 minutes long. My custom playlist for Songs of Experience eliminates the album version and uses the Womankind mix.

I think that people who already like this song but had some issues with it would enjoy this version more than the original. And people who do not care for this song would at least enjoy the song more than they previously did.
AtomicHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #745
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicHorizon View Post
My favorite version of the song is the Womankind mix. This version eliminates the opening ahahaahs, Kendrick's sermon, and uses the "if I could sing it to you" part three times and closes the song with it. This version is also just 3 minutes long. My custom playlist for Songs of Experience eliminates the album version and uses the Womankind mix.

I think that people who already like this song but had some issues with it would enjoy this version more than the original. And people who do not care for this song would at least enjoy the song more than they previously did.

While the remixes associated with this album have, save for a couple, been atrocious...the “womankind” mix is one of the better ones.

I would say the Beck LIBTAIIW, Beck LOH and Best Thing Kygo are some of the better (not great) remixes.

Then there are the other GOOYOW , Blackout and LIBTAIIW mixes that are fucking awful/embarrassing.

There is a GOOYOW mix that is literally Bono saying “wow” the whole time (save for 1 chorus inclusion)....it’s so bad!
CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:07 PM   #746
Blue Crack Addict

I'm in the minority that thinks the song is great as is, and I still can't stop blasting it.
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:20 PM   #747
The Fly

Yeah, the remixes for this album range from uninteresting to awful for the most part. However, the Womankind mix of Get Out is superior to the album version in my opinion. Bono keeps trying to say this is a "pop song" but ruined the pop appeal of it with their album mix. The Womankind mix brings out the pop in this song and elevates to an excellent track.
AtomicHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #748
The Fly

Even though its formulaic. I tend to just get lost in the music. Strangely pleasing
Zephyrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #749
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrpilot View Post
Even though its formulaic. I tend to just get lost in the music. Strangely pleasing
Anything sounds good over a G-D-A-Bm progression, really.

trevgreg is offline   Reply With Quote