Get Out of Your Own Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's odd they didn't do a single mix that either finished the Kendrick verse or cut it out completely.

I like it based on my first listen. Wasn't expecting to hear Kendrick on there. Very interesting. I would guess that American Soul is next on the tracklist.

Also, The Blackout is finally on Spotify! I haven't listened to it in full since it was first released. It's very good. I think it's my favorite of the songs they've released from SoE.

Also, assuming it wasn't confirmed already, that picture they showed during the concert awhile back is 100% without a doubt the album cover. It's the picture for both GOOYOW and The Blackout on Spotify.

I'll reiterate what I said in the general SOE thread: I can tell they were aiming for ATYCLB uplift, and after two listens I think they nailed it. Good lyrical and melodic work from Bono and the whole song feels like it's floating. Kendrick outro is cool too, but I wish it didn't cut off

This. Great to hear some ambience back in a U2 song as well.

I only listened twice but the lyrics are really solid (Lincoln’s ghost doesn’t bug me).

The song is catchy and not nearly as “poppy” as TBT (not a bad or good thing, just different). I LOVE the backing vocals during the chorus. Song is a solid effort but too soon for me to rate it.

For now....I like his vocals delivery, like the lyrics, like the chorus. It’s a good tune.

Love it !. TBT should have been so much better than it was....still liked it, but this one is a big step forward. Exciting times !.

Ironically, I think U2 got in their own way on this one.

The song is catchy and memorable, but I'm not in love with it. It is ok, but it just sounds underwhelming for some reason.

But on a whole, not a bad song at all, but my hopes were higher for this one.

The outro with the Kendrick preacher I absolutely hate. It ruins it for me. And the effect on the word "superstars" is absolutely cringe. And it is really stupid and lazy how it just cuts off ON THE SINGLE VERSION. Yes I know it leads into another song, but they should have amended it for the single version. If it was up to me, I'd just get rid of the whole preaching thing altogether for the single version, and have it as just something exclusive to the album version.

Things that will be said on Interference when Get Out of Your Own Way is released:

1. It should have been the lead single.
2. My non-U2 friends love it.
3. I can really see this one charting and hitting the mainstream.
4. It's going to go viral on Youtube/Last.fm, etc.
5. It's their best single since (insert BD/Vertigo).

HA I thought a few of things...!!!!

The outro with the Kendrick preacher I absolutely hate. It ruins it for me. And the effect on the word "superstars" is absolutely cringe. And it is really stupid and lazy how it just cuts off ON THE SINGLE VERSION.

I don't think what we're hearing is a single version, but just the regular album version. Not sure if there is/will be a single version.

Very mediocre in my opnion. The only of the new songs i like is TLTTGYA. Based on the other songs SOE will rival October and NLOTH as my least favorite U2 albums.

The Blackout and American Soul are much better songs than this.

One listen and I like it less than most of my least favorite U2 songs.

This song will frequently be getting out of my own way, as I'll be hitting skip on the CD player nearly every time it's about to come on.

the whimpering in the chorus is sickening. revolting. totally ruins an otherwise good song.

Last edited:
It was unremarkable until the f******g rapper bit- then it went shit very quickly

there is a hook in this song which makes it less cringe than the title suggests it's going to be. absolutely no idea why the rapping pops up at the end. is it supposed to be clever?

a lot of you sound as offended about this song as i am about american soul. "american soul" has to be the most post-2000 U2 song title imaginable, and it's every bit as terrible as the name suggests.

get out of your own way at least doesn't insult me, but it doesn't really draw me in either.

Just picked up the guitar... does this song actually use the same chord progression as the chorus to The Best Thing??? Most of the song is just G-D-A-Bm, I think.

Edit: And the main riff to Beautiful Day is A-Bm-D-G-D-A, hence further similarity there.

Last edited:
This song just made me like Wild Honey and transformed Stuck in a moment into a masterpiece.
I can t stand this song. And for those who compare it to BD, please listen to BD again..... :down:

I don't think this is bad. It's cheesy, but Bono "The Cheddar" Vox is gonna bring that to most songs these days.
I think the structure of the song is pretty spot on, the wailing backing vocals are maybe a bit much but they work. Some nice Edge tone there at the back end of the song.
Catchy as a pubic crab.
Nice work, U2.

Disclaimer: The 'rap' at the end is so utterly dreadful. Why? Why? I can't play this song for any friends now. Cause they'll hear the end bit. And I can't allow that.

I don't think this is bad. It's cheesy, but Bono "The Cheddar" Vox is gonna bring that to most songs these days.
I think the structure of the song is pretty spot on, the wailing backing vocals are maybe a bit much but they work. Some nice Edge tone there at the back end of the song.
Catchy as a pubic crab.
Nice work, U2.

Disclaimer: The 'rap' at the end is so utterly dreadful. Why? Why? I can't play this song for any friends now. Cause they'll hear the end bit. And I can't allow that.

Yeah, it’s curious why they didn’t take out the segue way. I’m wondering if we’ll get a proper single mix after the video comes out?

I'm worried about this album. U2 keep insisting on putting truly stupid things into their songs.

Best Thing - "A boy" lyric
GOOYOW - Horrible rap at the end (that cuts off on the single version no less)
American Soul - A chorus that isn't even its own. Refujesus. Opens with the horrible rap
The Blackout - Rhyming names

And they also destroy the title of The Showman by adding "Little More Better" in brackets.

These guys have lost their minds. :down:

Back
Top Bottom