Get Out of Your Own Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, no. This is how it works:

Tim was a typo of 'time,' and can only replace U2 lyrics that use 'time.'

Ron was a typo of 'ton,' and can only replace U2 lyrics that use 'ton.'

Or, for lack of U2 lyrics featuring the word 'ton,' a joke about Bono eating a Ron of cake would also be acceptable.
Can I replace tonight with Ronight?

Just watched the BBC version of this song.

I like this song and that performance was the best one yet! Orchestra sounded great, band was sharp...Dilly Dilly!

No, no. This is how it works:

Tim was a typo of 'time,' and can only replace U2 lyrics that use 'time.'

Ron was a typo of 'ton,' and can only replace U2 lyrics that use 'ton.'

Or, for lack of U2 lyrics featuring the word 'ton,' a joke about Bono eating a Ron of cake would also be acceptable.

Achtung Baby was recorded at Hansa Ron Studios.

Acceptable per these strict requirements?!

So anyway, what's happened to the video?, I know it's U2 but they tease it and then don't release it?

I see this thread has drifted into Zooropa territory.

I love Zooropa, not as big a fan of Stay as most, but it does have my single favorite line in just about any U2 song:

Red lights, gray morning
You stumble out of a hole in the ground
A vampire or a victim
It depends on who's around

(full disclosure: had something to do with who I was dating at the time - ha!)

I don't mind pop U2, I like just about everything they've done. But I would prefer they get with Batman and Robin and do an all-out NLOTH and do it right this time.

And Unos Dos Tres Catorce is just fine with me. Love that song.

GOOYOW is an ok song and it flows with the album so the only complaint from me is the BD heartbeat sound at the beginning. But I can ignore that and get on with it regardless

Get Out of Your Own Way is a good song, maybe even very good, but certainly not great. The Kendrick sermon at the end seems out of place and is unnecessary; it also does not work as well as the small part of the sermon that appears at the start of American Soul. When I finalize my personal Songs of Experience playlist/burned CD, I will add the single version of this song, which happily omits Kendrick.

This song is a "pop song" as Bono said it was. And there is nothing wrong with that.; however, to get to the Beautiful Day level, it needed to have a better ending like Beautiful Day had. A pleasant, but certainly not soul-stirring Edge solo, and a needless Kendrick sermon, fall far short of the caliber of the ending of Beautiful Day.

Get Out of Your Own Way is a good song, maybe even very good, but certainly not great. The Kendrick sermon at the end seems out of place and is unnecessary; it also does not work as well as the small part of the sermon that appears at the start of American Soul. When I finalize my personal Songs of Experience playlist/burned CD, I will add the single version of this song, which happily omits Kendrick.

/QUOTE]

I was coming here to post updated thoughts and you covered them perfectly.

This song starts cool, has solid verses, a great chorus and while Edges solo is "soft", it's fine in the context of the song. The "sermon" at the end however is horrible. Not that what Kendrick said is bad or delivered poorly because it isn't and it's not. The problem is it is out of place in the most awkward way. Imagine listening to With or Without You and then someone comes on shouting completely unrelated verses in a completely different tone. Horrible decision!

Now at the beginning of American Soul it works perfectly. In fact, I have no idea why the entire "sermon" wasn't placed at the front of American Soul.

With that said, GOOYOW is a good song and thankfully the single version omits the massively out of place "sermon".

Back
Top Bottom