Get Out of Your Own Way - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2017, 08:59 AM   #166
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
you're totally misinterpreting what he said to suit your own opinion

can you not understand the difference between "people complained about things" and "people would have complained about things"

No, I didn’t. He was right. If they complained then, you don’t think they’d complain today?

BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:04 AM   #167
War Child

Local Time: 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
You complain over and over and over about Bono using a Gaelic thing and saying ‘a boy’, but you can’t understand some folks not liking ‘can’t stand the sight of a puppy’ or ‘your skin is white but you think you’re a brother’? Really?!
First off, I didn't know it was a gaelic thing. If it is, then, what do ya know, it's not as bad anymore. Because I previously thought it was just a lazy piece of writing that people let pass, which could have easily been fixed to "the best thing that happened to a boy" (get rid of the word "ever" and it fits).

But the lyrics to some days, all of them, fit the song. All the way through it's a light-hearted song.

Whereas other things I complain about, are utterly out of place in songs, such as the name rhyming in The Blackout, and the hideous preaching at the end of GOOYOW. It seems to me like they're defacing good songs these days with really silly things, which (to me) are not small issues.

American Soul is fucked all the way through IMO.

Jarvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #168
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:58 PM
Quote:
speculating about how people would have reacted to old, great stuff that has stood the test of time as a way of minimizing criticism of current work is foolish. the lyrics for Stay are and always were great.

It’s not speculating when you lived it(although not on an Internet forum) and I am merely pointing out the hypocrisy. If you don’t like the lyrics, that’s fine but don’t use the 90s U2 as the bar of greatness when they wrote the same type of questionavle lyrics. Some shudder at the idea of “Ned and Fred” but this is the same band that tried to rhyme Puppy and Sloppy....say that out loud....puppy and sloppy...they don’t rhyme do they but it was the 90s so it’s okay cause (insert excuse here).
CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #169
Refugee

People saying recycle bits -- never before -- and by the way I think it's fine and that's what artists do all the time -- look at Stephen King for 10000 examples...

But the beginning of this song I hear Miracle Drug opening...

This song is pretty good so far... And it's pretty clear to me that they made the album all run together hence all the weird endings of songs when you listen to them by themselves which is annoying to me.

Red Hot Chili Peppers did this for BLOOD SUGAR SEX MAGIC, but they did it perfectly.
clerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #170
Refugee

Quote:
No, I didn’t. He was right. If they complained then, you don’t think they’d complain today?
again, can you not understand the difference between PEOPLE COMPLAINED and PEOPLE WOULD HAVE COMPLAINED
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #171
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvio View Post
To me, Zooropa is one of their worst albums anyway. It was way too weird for my taste. Some Days was good though, don't get people's hate with that one.

Some Days is one of the few songs I like on that album(bass is awesome) and it’s a fun song.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #172
The Fly

Quote:
You complain over and over and over about Bono using a Gaelic thing and saying ‘a boy’, but you can’t understand some folks not liking ‘can’t stand the sight of a puppy’ or ‘your skin is white but you think you’re a brother’? Really?!
It's an Irish thing, not a Gaelic thing.
jameskinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #173
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
It’s not speculating when you lived it(although not on an Internet forum) and I am merely pointing out the hypocrisy. If you don’t like the lyrics, that’s fine but don’t use the 90s U2 as the bar of greatness when they wrote the same type of questionavle lyrics. Some shudder at the idea of “Ned and Fred” but this is the same band that tried to rhyme Puppy and Sloppy....say that out loud....puppy and sloppy...they don’t rhyme do they but it was the 90s so it’s okay cause (insert excuse here).
maybe because questionable rhymes in an amusing song aren't as much of a crime as fucking rhyming names in a serious song? also you're saying that people WOULD HAVE complained about they lyrics for Stay

90s U2 is a bar for greatness, and it's not just me: pretty much everyone is into U2 because of the 80s and 90s greatness. They weren't perfect, but were never as embarrassing as they are now, and there's a huge difference between questionable and dumb as fuck
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #174
Acrobat

Strange, those who questioned the Zooropa record's merits and it's right to exist back in 1993? are we talking loads and loads of actual fans enmasse venting spleen on some ye olde Interference like site that took six days to load on Windows 67 or magazine and newspaper based mainstream music critics, who I recall seemed to give the record a whole load of great to very decent reviews?
patternshirt170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #175
War Child

Quote:
maybe because questionable rhymes in an amusing song aren't as much of a crime as fucking rhyming names in a serious song?
Agree
Old 11-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #176
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
again, can you not understand the difference between PEOPLE COMPLAINED and PEOPLE WOULD HAVE COMPLAINED

Thought it was implied because this forum didn’t exist in 1993 but let me clarify:

People complained in 1993 about U2 lyrics and had this forum existed in 1993, most here would have complained via these threads vs in conversation.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #177
War Child

I think the rhyming names in The Blackout should have just been replaced by the word "yeah" every time. I mean ok, it would have still not been great, but it would have been so much better than the juvenile name-rhyming. It would be more on par with something like "hey hey, sha la la" which I never really minded too much.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #178
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Get Out of Your Own Way

Quote:
maybe because questionable rhymes in an amusing song aren't as much of a crime as fucking rhyming names in a serious song? also you're saying that people WOULD HAVE complained about they lyrics for Stay
Why is rhyming names so bad?

Quote:
90s U2 is a bar for greatness, and it's not just me: pretty much everyone is into U2 because of the 80s and 90s greatness. They weren't perfect, but were never as embarrassing as they are now, and there's a huge difference between questionable and dumb as fuck

80s U2? Agree 100%
Achtung Baby? Absolutely
Zooropa and Pop? Pretty much everyone? No way! You like them both and several posters here do, that’s great and I mean that. But the “greatness” of those albums didn’t expand U2s fan base and bring in droves of fans like the 80s, Achtung Baby or ATYCLB did (I would also argue HTDAAB did much more for U2 than Zooropa or POP.)

I
Old 11-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #179
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
Thought it was implied because this forum didn’t exist in 1993 but let me clarify:

People complained in 1993 about U2 lyrics and had this forum existed in 1993, most here would have complained via these threads vs in conversation.

good point, I remember people talking about hating U2 in 1994 and wishing they would go back to the UABRS era -- that they had balls then, and now it's all wussy songs like Mysterious Ways. it's *always* a feature of any band with any sort of longevity.

and it's important to note that we were all younger in 1994. i was a teenager, and music never quite hits you the way it does when you're 16 or 17 -- and we heard those songs with less developed brains and raging hormones and wild emotions, and lyrics like "7/11" don't offend the way "ATM machine" does 15 years later, not because one lyric is better/worse than the other, but because WE are different and WE have changed.

all that said, while GOO sounds vastly better now that i have my good headphones, what i find embarrassing isn't the lyrics, but the ("children, children, future, future") let's-hold-hands chorus, and it doesn't seem to go anywhere interesting at all. lots of pretty background but this one doesn't work for me.

my big picture thought at this stage: Bono is at his best when he's writing about himself and longing for a piece of him that is missing, and longing for something better. it's just not as engaging when he's trying to pass on advice (some rare exceptions would be Stuck and OOTS, because he sounds so *invested* in Hutchence/teenagers with eating disorders, whereas a song like MD feels too detached to be memorable). this is why TBT > GOO, for me, because TBT is about Bono and GOO is about his sons or something.

and i'm on my 3-4th listen of GOO, with good headphones, and it does get more interesting each time.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #180
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:58 AM
There were plenty who thought U2 lost it when Achtung Baby came out; that they "sold out" by going to this big over the top image. That it was, yes, embarrassing.

This idea that everyone loved 90s U2 is a falsehood.

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote