Get Out of Your Own Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ps. Just read the earlier pages on this thread. Didn’t mean to open the wound again! If you’re craving Zoo era U2 again just check out some of the live shows - Daddy’s Gonna Pay live is a revelation. I’ve been having fun with that while accepting the new stuff for what it is, conservative but nicely engaging pop.

I hear quite a bit of U2 influence on Parachutes. Maybe not quite as much as their other albums, but definitely still there.

Yeah probably bits here and there but I always thought it was an indie record at heart

GOOYOW has definitely emerged in my mind as the best of the three "released" songs. I love it and can't wait to hear it live. It is very tight and well structured. It sounds modern. It's fun.

Blackout sounds modern but with a definite U2 feel, I enjoy it too, but not as much as GOOYOW.

I know this view will not be shared by all or even many, but this song makes me happy and that's not a bad thing in my book.

GOOYOW has definitely emerged in my mind as the best of the three "released" songs. I love it and can't wait to hear it live. It is very tight and well structured. It sounds modern. It's fun.

Blackout sounds modern but with a definite U2 feel, I enjoy it too, but not as much as GOOYOW.

I know this view will not be shared by all or even many, but this song makes me happy and that's not a bad thing in my book.

You should never feel bad about saying that a U2 song makes you feel happy. Too many people here seem to have totally lost that concept, instead letting a stray lyric or sound effect they don’t like “ruin” the song for them. It’s why this place is often referred to by the broader U2 fandom as the “U2 Hate Forum”

Ps. Just read the earlier pages on this thread. Didn’t mean to open the wound again! If you’re craving Zoo era U2 again just check out some of the live shows - Daddy’s Gonna Pay live is a revelation. I’ve been having fun with that while accepting the new stuff for what it is, conservative but nicely engaging pop.

Yeah, if you’re craving Zoo era, you’re only 2 decades late.

You should never feel bad about saying that a U2 song makes you feel happy. Too many people here seem to have totally lost that concept, instead letting a stray lyric or sound effect they don’t like “ruin” the song for them. It’s why this place is often referred to by the broader U2 fandom as the “U2 Hate Forum”
You're calling yourself 'The Broader U2 Fandom' now?
I thought you were still just plain ol Hayway.

Though I agree with your first point, entirely.

It’s why this place is often referred to by the broader U2 fandom as the “U2 Hate Forum”

Is this true?! Oh my, so THIS place is considered the hate forum, within this place there’s another place that always refers to this place as ‘the other place’, and it was created because they felt this place was too apologist u2. So that must mean THAT place is considered the deepest depth of hell, or something close to it?

Mind blown.

It seems the consensus is that this song has a targeting Beautiful Day vibe and level of success feel to it. I think the only way they could achieve this well is by reinventing that sound for today; which I think was what they attempted. It just seems like the music doesn't soar and the lyrical hook is a little too flat.

My hypothetical: Do you think that maybe this could have been elevated to that Beautiful Day level if perhaps the old team of Eno/Lanois were involved with it? (I know we can only speculate, but I kind of lean toward this thought)

It seems the consensus is that this song has a targeting Beautiful Day vibe and level of success feel to it. I think the only way they could achieve this well is by reinventing that sound for today; which I think was what they attempted. It just seems like the music doesn't soar and the lyrical hook is a little too flat.

My hypothetical: Do you think that maybe this could have been elevated to that Beautiful Day level if perhaps the old team of Eno/Lanois were involved with it? (I know we can only speculate, but I kind of lean toward this thought)

Short answer; no.

That team is played out.

I think a true bridge would have helped this song tremendously.

GOOYOW is a finely crafted pop-rock song.

Agreed totally. One thing that has bugged me a bit about modern day U2 is that a lot of their songs have a component or piece of construction that doesn't sit right with me.

Get Out has none of those. I think they nailed the mix on this one.

I said already and i will say it again, this song very nice, but couldbe even better and maybe become a post 2000 classic if they repeated the " tonight tonight" whole section at the end.

Last edited:
I absolutely love the first verse, the chorus (or pre-chorus) and the post chorus (or chorus). Solo is decent. The second verse? WTF?

eh, the whoa-whoas are a lazy crutch for U2 and the most irritating trope of the last 10-15 years of rock music. They're lazy signifies of emotion and just sound insincere at this point. Also, the faux communal aspect of music that's been dominant since the indie collectives and been mainstream since the stompy-clappy-woahy "folk" boom c.2010 is annoying as fuck and needs to die.

Yeah, this one continues to impress me. Its sort of a ATYCLB/SOI hybrid sound. I think that whole last section is really well layered and really like bono's higher octave harmony on the chorus. It kind of has that uplift blast that early 2000's U2 had, but it still has a crisp, modern sound to it. This one grows on me, while American Soul is kinda slipping down for me...

This, the Blackout and Best Thing are all fine by me.

I can't however fathom what the bleedin' heck people are praising American Soul for. The original Glastonbury was like a million times better scooby!!!

This, the Blackout and Best Thing are all fine by me.

I can't however fathom what the bleedin' heck people are praising American Soul for. The original Glastonbury was like a million times better scooby!!!

Ditto for me.

good point, I remember people talking about hating U2 in 1994 and wishing they would go back to the UABRS era -- that they had balls then, and now it's all wussy songs like Mysterious Ways. it's *always* a feature of any band with any sort of longevity.

and it's important to note that we were all younger in 1994. i was a teenager, and music never quite hits you the way it does when you're 16 or 17 -- and we heard those songs with less developed brains and raging hormones and wild emotions, and lyrics like "7/11" don't offend the way "ATM machine" does 15 years later, not because one lyric is better/worse than the other, but because WE are different and WE have changed.

all that said, while GOO sounds vastly better now that i have my good headphones, what i find embarrassing isn't the lyrics, but the ("children, children, future, future") let's-hold-hands chorus, and it doesn't seem to go anywhere interesting at all. lots of pretty background but this one doesn't work for me.

my big picture thought at this stage: Bono is at his best when he's writing about himself and longing for a piece of him that is missing, and longing for something better. it's just not as engaging when he's trying to pass on advice (some rare exceptions would be Stuck and OOTS, because he sounds so *invested* in Hutchence/teenagers with eating disorders, whereas a song like MD feels too detached to be memorable). this is why TBT > GOO, for me, because TBT is about Bono and GOO is about his sons or something.

I'm just catching up on this thread, but this is spot-on [emoji106]

This is my fave of the 3 recordings, though the others are better songs weirdly! I just prefer the live Blackout and the Sci Fi Best Thing, neither of which are going on the album.

GOOYOW has a feel good vibe going for it... and though I’d give anything to hear some wah wah guitar and curveball melodies, it’s time to accept that the Zoo days are gone and U2 have settled on the post 2000s model for good.
Have you heard the blackout?

Still don’t understand why they only do the big soaring chorus twice. It needs another chorus at the end. And I don’t see how the abrupt ending to Best Thing is going to transition into Get Out very well. Figured it would make sense on the album but nah.

It's my favourite of the new songs heard so far. Nothing mind-blowing but a really pleasant pop song. Hoping to see the video soon.

Back
Top Bottom