Get On Your Boots tanking on itunes?!?! - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:38 PM
Can somebody give me the short explanation of why there are 2 versions of Boots on Itunes?

Old 01-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:38 PM
Deluxe vs. Regular album.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #108
The Male

Local Time: 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
The song's dropped again nearly worldwide today maybe it'll pick up when the band release a video and actually start promoting the song (which there's been very little of), I'd say we give it a couple of weeks before saying it's a flop
Has the band itself even discussed the song at length? Bono mentioned it in the Brian Williams interview, but otherwise, it seems like all they've talked about is Breathe, Moment Of Surrender, and will.i.am.

Now.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Has the band itself even discussed the song at length? Bono mentioned it in the Brian Williams interview, but otherwise, it seems like all they've talked about is Breathe, Moment Of Surrender, and will.i.am.
To me it seems more like the label wanted it out with the radio release and maybe U2 didn't. I'd say the song will shoot up once the band get to promoting the album and single
Old 01-24-2009, 06:03 PM   #110
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:38 PM
Quote:
Hey gozer,
Ik zie dat je nogal wat problemen hebt met de mensen hier. Ik weet dat het bij ons vrij gewoon is dat dingen nichterig of gay zijn, maar vooral bij de amerikanen is dat nogal een gevoelig punt. Juist omdat ze zelf zo homofoob zijn gaan ze omgekeerd discrimineren, zoals bij ons dat met de moslims zo is.
Het beste hier werkt om ze te negeren, het is de moeite niet, en de site is van een amerikaan, dus ik zou het niet proberen.
Ja, ik had het niet beter kunnen zeggen. Wat een ongelofelijke hypocriete eikels heb je op deze site. Vooral dat Aygo lulletje is niet te geloven. Maar goed, laat inderdaad maar zitten. Die gasten hebben een plaat voor hun kop.

Yo portugese, you are hilarious with your Human Rights Declaration. But I will leave it at that. Galeongirl said it better then I ever could but she is the smart one.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #111
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:38 PM
Quote:
For the love of God, PLEASE no.
Why?? Don't you like CGI???

Old 01-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #112
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:38 PM
i like the song. everyone sounds amazed by the album. everyone.

but i do smell a broad U2 backlash like in 1988 and 1997.

hopefully a series of rave record reviews will nip it in the bud.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #113
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:MrMacPhisto:. View Post
Why?? Don't you like CGI???

I want the video to involve U2 going to a Coldplay concert to throw sexy boots at Chris Martin.

At the end of the video, Coldplay goes to a Killers concert and does the same.

Now.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #114
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:38 PM
Quote:
I want the video to involve U2 going to a Coldplay concert to throw sexy boots at Chris Martin.

At the end of the video, Coldplay goes to a Killers concert and does the same.
It could turn into a reality show.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
A couple of things:

1. No one gives two fucks if YOU think the song is good or bad. Replies like "Boots is bad" are pointless.

2. This is partially U2's fault for splitting Boots' iTunes release.

3. This is partially U2's fault for waiting to release the video.

4. This is partially U2's fault for not releasing the CD version until mid-February.
I agree with #1.

I think #2 is more the result of iTunes than U2. iTunes (or U2) offered the song as part of the deal if one pre-ordered the album. So there appeared to be downloads attributed to the album (probably the higher ranking number all week) and downloads just for the song. iTunes split them, but hopefully they will all count together at the end.

Video should come out now, but then, MTV and other stations don't play videos. The days of a video making a song may be over as these stations seemed more focused on shows other than music videos.

Regarding point 4, CD sales don't count nearly as much any more. They are virtually non-existent in the U.S. In fact, U2 hasn't released a CD single in the U.S. since "Pop". If you see a CD single, it's an import. As for other countries, they still have CD singles and they still sell, but it appears downloads are more and more the way to go.

I would add point 5 to your list - and something mentioned earlier in this thread. Namely, the song is FREE on U2.com. Why pay for it, when one can get it for FREE? U2 gave this song away - thank you! I don't think Kelly Clarkson gave her song away. Radiohead gave their entire album away. Some fans went on to buy it, others didn't. But don't expect Radiohead to dominate iTunes when one could get the album for free! With a free song, little promotion, and no video, it's not a big wonder why the song isn't soaring.

However, would anyone want U2 to do a series of TV ads or TV spots to push the song? I recall tons of complaints when U2 finally did SNL back in 2000. I recall people hating U2 for being on the Super Bowl and doing iPod commercials. It's always been lose-lose for U2. Do well, people hate it. Do poorly, people hate it. Charts are fun to watch, but if the music is good, I'd prefer that.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #116
Blue Crack Supplier

If Apple was debuting a new product that U2 was excited about, they probably would do another collaboration. I wasn't bothered so much by the iPod ads, and I'm VERY much against corporate sponsorship and songs being used in commercials. But because it was for a music delivery system, it didn't seem any different to me than an music retailer's ad for the album. And it seemed very fresh, very original at the time.

This time around, Apple doesn't have anything new to promote, and U2 probably doesn't want to make yet another iPod ad. It's played out (or Coldplayed out, if you will).
Old 01-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #117
War Child

Local Time: 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i like the song. everyone sounds amazed by the album. everyone.

but i do smell a broad U2 backlash like in 1988 and 1997.

hopefully a series of rave record reviews will nip it in the bud.
You know I really do think you're on to something there....it's as almost as if there are radio people (station music directors etc.) that might want to see
U2 fail....humble them again..........I also think there is specifically a Bono backlash a kind of "let's humble this egomaniac..bring him back down to earth"

Time will tell
Old 01-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #118
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:38 AM
if you like it, who cares?
Old 01-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #119
Refugee

Local Time: 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfink27 View Post
To be honest and perhaps this is the wrong forum to do it in but Boots is awful.And that comes from a massive U2 fan.
No...Vertigo and All Because Of You were awful...Boots is better!
Old 01-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:38 PM
I will say that U2 will give Coldplay a run for their money in sales no matter if people here think it will be considered a failure or not. When looking at things as a flop or not a flop you must consider the current market and not past markets beause they are 2 totally different things. A 7 million selling record in todays climate would be pretty damn good for any band including U2. If they do better then that all the better but I didnt expect this album to sell more then the previous 2 and really dont care if it does...if it has better material on it I dont care if the next door neighbor didnt buy it or not