Get On Your Boots tanking on itunes?!?! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #46
War Child

Local Time: 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
I say tank away!

NA arena tour.

Don't you realize that if tickets don't sell, shows being canceled is a likely scenario? I doubt the whole US leg would be scrapped even if NLOTH tanks badly here, but you might find yourself driving a couple of hundred miles just to see them. In the current economic climate, U2 better have the goods because people will just as soon save their money for more important things, like paying their mortgage that they fell 2 months behind on.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
I say tank away!

NA arena tour.

I don't claim to know a lot about how the music industry works but it seems to me, the only reason to care about how well this (or any other U2) song does in the charts is that if an album is more commercially successful, there will be more tour dates in larger venues. If an album is "tanking" the promoters aren't going to book 100's of dates in stadiums.

Arenas FTW!

And the fact that people listen to people like Perez Hilton (or Paris Hilton for that matter) makes me very very sad.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonExplorer View Post
In the current economic climate, U2 better have the goods because people will just as soon save their money for more important things, like paying their mortgage that they fell 2 months behind on.
Mortgage, schmortgage. ROADTRIP!
Old 01-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:11 AM
i still cant belive that after ONE week of the single being out, people are now talking about the album flopping?, the album is number 3 on amazon.com chart with pre-orders only.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie

and Itunes is the only store that matters?

I personally have never bought a track off Itunes and I never will.

They are all compressed to shit. Wait till the album comes out before calling anything a commercial flop, U2 has never been a singles band in their history and it certainly isnt going to change now.

I didnt expect this song to do great in the US because any level of expirimentation and you are asking for trouble there at least on the commercial side of things.

Let be what is going to be cant change anything that has happened. However if U2 do play stadiums in the US in the majority of markets there shouldnt be many problems getting good tickets for the people here, which is good news for the true US hardcore fans
Old 01-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #51
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:11 AM
Yeah, and who knows how many people are having the problems I have. I was able to buy the single, but have been unable to preorder the album. Itunes has been working on it all week.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurent37 View Post
Perez Hilton is so gay it is not funny anymore. And I live in Amsterdam so I really don't have a problem with gay people. Hé, I even have gay friends (no, I don't but that is the poltically correct thing to say, isn't it). He is not man, not a woman but a little troll that looks like he has been run over by a bus a couple of times. God, I just don't like the little fucker.
Mods, I'm going to have to ask with great disgust in my typing fingers why this sort of post hasn't been chastised. This is unnaceptable language, in a public, moderated forum, and all the more so in light of people regularly being scolded for saying things like, "You sound so stupid!" to other posters. Why is it okay to make homophobic remarks but not okay to have petty back-and-forths? I don't know if laurent37 actually is homophobic, but I know that A) I'm not anti-Semitic, and B) if I nevertheless started a thread, or started to post in another thread, casually promoting anti-Semitism, it wouldn't last a second. I'm far more offended by this than I've been by U2popmofo calling me a douchebag, or whatever, from time to time. Priorities, anybody...?

Congrats to bram and Aygo for saying what should've been said by the powers that be. Kudos to the both of you.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #53
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUEFC09U2 View Post
i still cant belive that after ONE week of the single being out, people are now talking about the album flopping?, the album is number 3 on amazon.com chart with pre-orders only.
POP went #1 in its first week and dropped precipitously thereafter, selling a little more than 1million copies in the US total. Don't harp on presales.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

U2 make most of their money touring.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
POP went #1 in its first week and dropped precipitously thereafter, selling a little more than 1million copies in the US total. Don't harp on presales.
But that was pop? they have had another 2 number 1 albums since then/
Old 01-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #56
Gunslinger

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Quote:
Don't you realize that if tickets don't sell, shows being canceled is a likely scenario? I doubt the whole US leg would be scrapped even if NLOTH tanks badly here, but you might find yourself driving a couple of hundred miles just to see them. In the current economic climate, U2 better have the goods because people will just as soon save their money for more important things, like paying their mortgage that they fell 2 months behind on.
I don't know how educated you are, but it is known that the US and Canadian governments are attempting to spend their way (and get us to do the same) out of the recession. Saving money (and incentives to save) has proven to be a major failure in Japan. But this isn't an economics site.

A U2 arena tour in NA will still exceed the demand regardless. The only real question is: how many stops in Chicago, New York City, and LA. Dealing in 20,000 seats is not the same as dealing in 60,000 seats.

That said, I seriously doubt that U2 were/are even giving it any thought to seriously tour NA via stadiums. Given the sound/direction that Boots seems to be going, a "new" U2 is taking shape and the general audience that craves "classic coke" U2 (ie. Beautiful Day) is without a doubt, going to be a little hesitant to jump on this. I don't think this is rocket science.

As for me, I still have to drive 3 hours. Vancouver is my stop.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #57
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
question for the mods - after reporting a redundant post, is mocking then allowed?
You know the answer to this already.

--------------------

I'm leaving this thread here for now, but it really belongs in this forum:
Peeling off those Dollar Bills - U2 Feedback

You can also find more info about U2's sales and charts in that forum.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor

it's not a great song... that's it.

when you have so much time between releases, people get really excited and hyped up and pumped about your new song and it comes out and everyone gives out a big "huh?" it's usually not a good thing.

yes, everyone wants to draw comparisons to The Fly... but The Fly was a departure from sound.. it still had, ya know, proper song structure... an intro, a verse, a chorus, a verse, a chorus, a bridge, a verse, an ending.

this song is strange and trippy and yes, there's a ton going on, but that's not neccesarily a good thing... some will like it, some will hate it. it's grown on me a lot... but i still won't go any higher than a 7 out of 10 on it... and that's being generous.

obviously we're on a u2 fan site and there's going to be those who just go "omgz i can't believe people don't like it it's awwwwwwesome you must not be a u2z fan!!" and that's fine... but the song is one that you need to get into, you can't just hear it once and say "yea, that rules!" with today's music scene, with no real radio other than sattelite, and no real MTV to show videos... who has time for a grower anymore?

i still say that the style of the song bodes well for the album it's self... but as far as a big smash hit single, get on your boots has no chance in hell of being that. and maybe that's the plan, and there's something on the album that will be just that... but, yea... i dunno. we shall see, won't we?

oh... and for those who think less sales will mean arenas instead of stadiums, i don't think so... it'll probably mean a shorter tour with stadiums that they can just play one or two shows in the huge markets, skip the smaller markets all together, and move along to europe.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
And sold 6 million in the ROW at a minimum, which actually is pretty decent, all POP flopping in the US shows is that generally if the music isnt of a "conventional" nature of pop or rock it wont sell down there.

Thats another reason I am happy that U2 put this song out first, they probably didnt have their moneybags manager telling them to put it out because this will make us the most money.

This is the first single since Discotheque that has really been a challenge to people that says "here it is take it or leave it".

I personally am glad U2 decided to give people a kick in the ass with this track....I didnt want to hear another ATYCLB or Bomb even though to me these were very solid albums.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #60
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUEFC09U2 View Post
But that was pop? they have had another 2 number 1 albums since then/
yes, but on the strength (or lack, thereof) of the leadoff single, the new album is so far looking like it's headed toward a POP-like disappointment.