Get On Your Boots Single Tracklisting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A.) U2(read: Bono) tend to exaggerate - you don't know in what form those
"50 to 60 songs" are in.....how finished or unfinished they are...you had Edge say they put away some songs in deference to Rick Rubin and would come back to them at a later time..maybe they'll actually record them with Rick or really shock us and put out another album within 2 years.

B.) I think some people are forgetting the Spiderman musical...I think some of those songs recorded ended up there or will end up there...I have a hard time believing that U2 recorded up to 50 or 60 songs and then on top of that Bono and The Edge came up with 2+ hours of even more music for the Broadway show..they simply don't have enough time in their lives to have been able to come up with that output of work(with Bono's commitments and band familiy commitments)...its next to impossible

Fair enough...but I highly doubt that they don't have a handful of good b-side material that couldn't make this album and won't make the next one. They've been pretty consistent with having a nice pool of extra tracks to share....but I do agree with most of your comments. :up:

Maybe no bsides cause they really are gonna release a second album. I'd be all for that strategy. What do you guys think?

Sicy ...unless it's an import single U2 doesn't release physical singles in the U.S. anymore...they haven't since POP....that's why some of their singles haven't done well chartwise since you have no sales figures of a single to combine with radio airplay..U2 singles are limited to radio airplay and we all know in the U.S. most radio is cheesy top 40,urban hip hop and R&B..rock radio is a dying breed with most rock stations leaning towards the more hardcore rock or metal bands

that's why I bought satellite radio:D

Huh.. I did not know that. (I never buy actual singles).

Huh.. I did not know that. (I never buy actual singles).

Yeah Sicy...I'll give you an example..

A.) Discotheque - (1997) reached #10 on the Billboard top 100 chart..(it was mostly on the strength of sales of the single combined with some radio airplay)

B.) Beautiful Day (2000) - reached #21 on the Billboard top 100 chart...(on the stength of radio airplay alone)

So you see Beautiful Day was/is played on the radio stations a hell of a lot more times than Discotheque ever was....but Discotheque charted higher on the Billiboard Hot 100 chart because at the time U2 released it as single in the U.S. with "Holy Joe" as the B-side and combined with some radio airplay it charted higher.

Not releasing singles in the U.S. makes the consumer/buyer possibly buy the artist's album instead...at least that was true before I-tunes came along

There'll be lots of B-sides...people said at the news of 50-60 written songs.

I wonder if that is not the remix (why put out a remix when the album version's not even out yet?) but the actual second version of NLOTH.

Can't ya'll find a different bad to bash (I suggest Coldply ;))

Wait a sec... :hmm:

Didn't Coldplay also have an alternative version of an album track (in this case Lost?) as the B-side of the lead-off single Violet Hill from Viva La Vida?

:shocked:

OH NOEZ!!! U2 ARE COPYING COLDPLAY!!!1!!!1111!

:bonodrum:

Hey, wait another sec...

I can remember that one of the B-sides of the maxi-single of Pride (U2's lead-off single from The Unforgettable Fire) was a slightly longer version of the album track 4th Of July.

Phew. Coldplay weren't first doing this. It all originated with U2.

:rolleyes:

Willing to bet the second version of No Line will also be one of the bonus iTunes tracks. (It's apparently the bonus track in Australia.)

Agree with whomever said they were holding back more tracks for a later date. (Of course, we all said that with Mercy too.) Either they may release more B-sides with future singles to spike up interest in those future releases (let's face it - there's a lot of built in interest already in GOYB), or perhaps they may release a set of EPs (a la Coldplay), or perhaps they will release another album in a year or so.

Also agree about the questionable quality of the material. Bono bragged to Bill Flanagan at the end of 94 that the band had formed Passengers with Eno and that they had roughly 80 pieces together...of which 50 were terrible. So we have been down this road before. We know that Eno loves "Winter" and that "Tripoli" was at one point considered for the album -- beyond that, we don't know anything about the other tracks...

Also entirely likely that they are holding back more tracks for another "Rare and Unreleased" thing at some point. There were a good 5-6 tracks that emerged from the "ATYCLB"/"HTDAAB" sessions. I'm betting we'll see more at some point.

Guys one reason not to buy this tracklisting is that CD 2 is CD 1 with one extra track, at minimum either the b-side to CD1 is different or No Line isn't on CD 2 or it's completely bullshit

We get to hear a shit remix of No Line on The Horizon before we get to hear the original. Wonderful.

God, I love this forum.

1. It's probably the alternate version, not a "shit remix".

2. :lol: It took less than two posts for the bitching to begin.

Guys one reason not to buy this tracklisting is that CD 2 is CD 1 with one extra track, at minimum either the b-side to CD1 is different or No Line isn't on CD 2 or it's completely bullshit

Yeah but don't be so sure; R.E.M did this with their lead off single last year ie a 2 track CD with the A side and a B side then the 2 songs repeated on CD2 with a third track...

As regards b sides in general, I think the days of the 4 track EPs are over, ie WGRYWH? and EBTTRT - the fact most UK CD singles have 2 songs nowadays [max] is pretty lame, probably the fact that the record companies want you to go digital!

Yeah but don't be so sure; R.E.M did this with their lead off single last year ie a 2 track CD with the A side and a B side then the 2 songs repeated on CD2 with a third track...

As regards b sides in general, I think the days of the 4 track EPs are over, ie WGRYWH? and EBTTRT - the fact most UK CD singles have 2 songs nowadays [max] is pretty lame, probably the fact that the record companies want you to go digital!

I just think it makes the 2 CD format for singles null and void. I mean why release two cds if one is just a lesser version of the other. REM flopped anyway, so I doubt their release will be a standard :wink:

Umm what? Why do they release a version of NLOTH before the album is coming out when there will be TWO versions of NLOTH on the album, at least in some countries as a bonus track.

Exactly. Both versions of the CD single plus the Euro/Asia album all have the alternate mix of NLOTH. TOTALLY and UTTERLY LAME!!!!
:mad:

This is U2 fleecing all of us. They know many fans will buy every version but they give us the same freakin songs on the lot. Not impressed. :mad::down:

they must have something that can used as a b-side. something that they feel wont make the next album or has been around for a while and might interest the fans. for christ sakes they have been making music for thirty years:angry:

Eno is listed before U2 on the credits. Is this the first time u2 have a track on their album that lists anyone other than them first? i guess they are making up for the snubbing he got on ATYCLB??

I'm not even going to buy the single, this shit is a joke. Singles are pathetic these days, it's why people download. they dont have to pay five bucks for two songs, one of them a dud remix of an album track.

What happened to b-sides? :sigh:

Just the possibility of getting a new album/EP in the next 12-18 months makes the withholding of B-sides completely worth it.

Back
Top Bottom