Get On Your Boots Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had to read the title of this thread twice to make sure I wasn’t seeing things! :lol:

I think a decent excuse is that by 2009 we were all starved of any new U2 that naturally some would go bonkers over that. I mean, bloody hell, I remember that one-off Christmas song in 2008 getting a lot of attention here.

I think a decent excuse is that by 2009 we were all starved of any new U2 that naturally some would go bonkers over that. I mean, bloody hell, I remember that one-off Christmas song in 2008 getting a lot of attention here.

I was surprised because there are a bunch of appreciation threads for the new songs and then I see Boots. It’s like a ghost thread has reappeared!

And I still like that Christmas song. It’s pretty.

I'm so happy to have scrolled back and not seen a post from me making glowing comments about this giant turd
Me too... although I don't share the grim revulsion you have for this song. I place it at the lowest rung of U2 songs but wasn't crushed when it came out, so I was pleasantly surprised to not see a gushing comment from me.

However, I may not be so lucky when it comes to the SUC (the week has passed HIAS) appreciation thread. I rate it far worse than Boots, but I probably said different in 2009

I still like Boots. I probably said as much in 2009, and I’ll stand by it now.

But yeah, should never have been a single.

I've decided this is a better song than Vertigo.

Really?

Well to each their own . . .

I have always really liked boots -- not as a lead off single, but I've always been a fan.

When the song was first released, I would hit it up on the jukebox when out on the town and the bar maids would always jump around and dance, I noticed. Quite impressive for a U2 song. Ha!

I think NLOTH should have been the first single, it would have not charted well, ala The Fly, but like The Fly, it would have signaled that the album would be a bit different and hopefully get people interested in the album.

Never hated the song.

Cedars of Lebanon....hate it
Fez being born.....don't like it at all
White as snow....don't like it at all
Unknown Caller.....don't like it at all
Boots.....it's ok. Has some cool things going on in it but the lyrics are really bad. The let me in the sound bridge with the drums is cool....eh, not a good song but not bad....just ok.

There’s a good song somewhere in Boots. Edge’s riff is pretty cool, almost Bond-esque. I like Larry’s drumwork too and the bridge is pretty great.

But the lyrics suck, the chorus is super-bland and none of the pieces remotely work together.

There’s a good song somewhere in Boots. Edge’s riff is pretty cool, almost Bond-esque. I like Larry’s drumwork too and the bridge is pretty great.

But the lyrics suck, the chorus is super-bland and none of the pieces remotely work together.

Yeah there are some good elements there, but it definitely has its issues, "Sexy Boots" being chief amongst them, and it was definitely out of place in the middle of the album (really on the album period).
Still was fun live.

Sexy boots, yeah

26233637-26233639-large.jpg

Sexy boots, yeah

26233637-26233639-large.jpg

This picture is the bands fault; Adam, Larry and Edge. When they were in the dressing room for this photo shoot, as soon as they saw him they should have collectively beaten him with their respective instruments.

Larry owns the most blame, it’s his band. He is the one that needs to say “Bono, you’re calling in sick today and if you ever put that shit on your 49 year old eyes again...I will stick not one but two drum sticks so far up your ass that I’ll play the opening sequence of Like a Song on your liver...which reminds me stop drinking so much because in 5 years your going to look like Ms. Doubtfire.

Back
Top Bottom