Get On Your Boots Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still love this song. I have since the first listen. In fact, of the beach clips, this was the one that interested me the most. It's fun, sexy, and sonically adventurous. I can see it being low on people's lists in the context of the album, because in that context, it's sort of like "what's your favourite type of candy?" It's all awesome. But on its own, I don't get the hate.

Eta - I agree that the Echo awards performance is the strongest so far. The Grammys is a fairly close second (and would probably be higher were it not for the sound problems - no fault of the band), and the performance at the Brits is the weakest.

When I first heard GOYB I really wasn't sure what to think of it. It took a lot of listens to really get it. The "Let me in the sound" is the best part now. It wasn't my favorite part when I first listened to it however. I've always liked the lyrics to the song. I think the only problem I had with it was being too similar to Vertigo in the beginning and end of the song. Also the whole Escape Club/Elvis Costello thing didn't help. It fits really well in the place it has in the album, right after "Crazy Tonight".

When I first heard GOYB I really wasn't sure what to think of it. It took a lot of listens to really get it.

I agree. I was a bit underwhelmed at first. Actually, I think I was underwhelmed with NLOTH as a whole. Well, a mix of underwhelmed and overwhelmed, as in, not knowing what to think. But after 8 listens or so I decided I fucking love it :drool:

as for Boots, yeah, it's the most played song on my iTunes/lastfm

Boots seems like a standout in comparison to the other songs (like it doesn't fit), but maybe that's just me. I think it's an alright song - it's very catchy. It makes me want to dance. When I first heard it on 1/19, I didn't like it at all. It didn't sound like U2 at all, the U2 I'm used to, and I didn't have high hopes for the album based on that song. After a while, it grew on me and now it's one of my favorites. Lyrically, it lacks the substance 'Beautiful Day' or 'Vertigo' had/have, but musically, it's catchy. It's a good tune simply put.

It fits the album well in that it is a grower like the rest of the songs on the album and its at a point in the album that fits properly. It would not have been good to put this as track 1, they really seemed interested in the track order of the album this time and it shows.

Boots seems like a standout in comparison to the other songs (like it doesn't fit), but maybe that's just me. I think it's an alright song - it's very catchy. It makes me want to dance. When I first heard it on 1/19, I didn't like it at all. It didn't sound like U2 at all, the U2 I'm used to, and I didn't have high hopes for the album based on that song. After a while, it grew on me and now it's one of my favorites. Lyrically, it lacks the substance 'Beautiful Day' or 'Vertigo' had/have, but musically, it's catchy. It's a good tune simply put.

Vertigo has lyrical substance?

People just can't except it when U2 just want to have fun (ie, Discotheque) instead of trying to save the world with every single.

When I heard this song, I didn't like it. In the poll that was on here, I was one of the very few people who dinged it with a low grade (5 or 6, can't remember). I was told it would grow on me. It hasn't. I think it's the worst song on the album.

It's not that it's horrible, it's just that it's really mediocre to me. I have to say that based on it, I was really worried about how the rest of the album would turn out. Thankfully, I think it's just fantastic!

People just can't except it when U2 just want to have fun (ie, Discotheque) instead of trying to save the world with every single.

Actually in the Access Hollywood interview Bono says the song tried to be throwaway but they really suck at that so it ends up very earnest in a way but also throwaway. Really earnest throwaway. The way he talks about it is very funny.

Dana

Love this now.
And loved it then!
I don't get all the hate for this song.
It rocked me boots (pun intended) from the first time I heard it and still considers to do so.
If anything, it sounds really weird in the context of the whole album.
But, I think NLOTH is a weird album.
Btw, I like "weird".

:drool:For me it fits perfectly on the album. When I listen to the album in the car everytime i get to Boots i turn the volume up for 7 to 10. Love it:drool:

I can't believe people are overwhelmingly rating this track as the weakest on the album... It isn't the best, but it sure isn't the worst.

It makes me laugh - people ask for "new U2", yet in reality they are rating the most traditional U2 songs the highest.

Quick Initial Review

Well, I can't really call this an initial review cos I've heard it several times already. But man, is this song a grower?!! I was not crazy about it at first and actually even preferred Vertigo to it. I don't know, the chorus didn't seem all that melodic and Bono's high pitch "you don't know.." annoyed me too much. But after I saw the video, for some reason it has only gotten better and better. I was not happy about the rap singing style but now I find it too incredibly catchy to not like it. The lyrics are sort of WTF but not necessarily lame or cheesy. And man, it fucking rocks! The led zep style "levee breaks" bridge is pretty kickass although I'm not that fond of the phrase "let me in the sound". But overall, awesome rocker! :rockon: 8/10

The "let me in the sound" part could be the first time any form of headbanging at a U2 concert seems perfectly suitable. :rockon::rockon::rockon:

i relly like it- not their best maybe but a good track- it should play well live

evidently though it's not connected with the masses- I know the UK singles chart is a bit of a joke nowadays- and with downloads is difficult to follow as well

but GOYB is No12 this week which isn't very good by U2 standards- not that I'm judging the quality of the track by by chart positions- just unusual that the lead U2 single isn't selling better- and I haven't once seen this on any of the music video channels- not even Q- which is even more unusual

Yeah, no.12 is terrible, especially when you look at what's above it (Kings of Leon excluded). The promotion hasn't been great though, and I wonder whether this was intentional or not - U2 have been around too long to mess this up, surely?

Yeah, no.12 is terrible, especially when you look at what's above it (Kings of Leon excluded). The promotion hasn't been great though, and I wonder whether this was intentional or not - U2 have been around too long to mess this up, surely?

I pay basically no attention to charts but to see it only at no.12 is a bit of a surprise - especially after opening The Brits in midweek. It's not the strongest song (IMO) but I would have expected the fan-base to have propelled it much higher than that. Will be interesting to see how the album fares when it comes out.

^The Prodigy are even in the top 5 with their comeback single. The single doing well doesn't matter that much to me, but I do like the single and thought it would have a wider appeal...not even making the top 10!?! When was the last time the first single from a new U2 album failed to chart in the top 10 on its first week of release? Zooropa maybe? But I wouldn't count that album anyway, due to the nature of the release.

Number 12 is disappointing, I thought that it would at least make the top 10.
GOYB is a grower, without a doubt, which is perhaps why it has only got to 12.
I haven't heard GOYB played on the radio once since I tuned into x-fm and radio 1 on debut day, and I've had radio 1, x-fm and capital on when I drive to and from work.
There's a really disrespectful, snobby, anti-u2 vibe out there at the moment, more than there has been for a while. Society is more pretentious nowadays. God I sound old! :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom