From Bono himself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:
I'm not sure exactly what people want from Bono (or any other band member) re: their studio work.

We've already made it clear: we don't want more cliches! I don't care if Bono - or the others - play their cards close to their chest or let loose with a torrent of information, just as long as what they do say (or in some cases, what they don't say but reveal by their actions of playing cards close to their chest) is actually meaningful and has substance. Mindless cliches and hot air about "a whole new level" or the infamous "punk rock on Venus" don't tell us anything useful. They're meaningless, just a soundbyte with no substance.

Can't we just settle for them saying they're into the new album and excited about the new musical direction ?

They say that every time. Pop proved it's not true.

And I don't see what U2 knowing every single detail of their live shows has to do with them talking about the new album. (remember the Edge "Melbourne" thank you debacle on last tour?)

I'm just saying that Bono in particular has a track record about being less than well-informed about his own music.

Axver said:

We've already made it clear: we don't want more cliches! I don't care if Bono - or the others - play their cards close to their chest or let loose with a torrent of information, just as long as what they do say (or in some cases, what they don't say but reveal by their actions of playing cards close to their chest) is actually meaningful and has substance. Mindless cliches and hot air about "a whole new level" or the infamous "punk rock on Venus" don't tell us anything useful. They're meaningless, just a soundbyte with no substance.

Ok? Fans don't have to listen or care about such "soundbytes." It sounds like you are expecting meaningful, substantial information regarding the upcoming album in every interview (or interview with a question referring to new material) with Bono or any band member for that matter...in the same way I could choose not to read this thread you can choose not to listen to Bono... :wink:

bottom line: there is really no point in getting frustrated by comments like Bono's...he will say what he wants when he wants, and when the time comes and he says something more "meaningful," hallelujah :)

I'm just saying that Bono in particular has a track record about being less than well-informed about his own music.

Oh wow.........he forgot the last time they played Bad.........Whoopdie Doo!

ps Bono was asked the question, so he had to give the best answer he could. he didn't volunteer a "cliche" but when you're Bono and hundreds of people want to interview you, and you are interested in speaking out about issues other than music, people are still going to throw the musical ones at you at the end of the interview on entirely other topics. imagine how sick he must be of getting asked the question!

Axver said:

They say that every time. Pop proved it's not true.

Maybe Bono feels they are taking it to the next lever with this album ?
And the old "punk rock on Venus" line was never relevant because, uh, it had nothing to do with the actual album we got. He said that back in 2003, if not 2002. Before the new producer came, and before the album changed direction.

Well, pretty much anything they say will be a soundbyte until we hear the album. :shrug: For all I care they can say the new album is mouses playing metal on Mars - I will listen to the album and then decide whether it deserves the hype or not. I still rather listen to him than the perpetual "getting lost in the music" Edge, and he has given some of the most memorable - and accurate - soundbytes.

:confused: You think they weren't into Pop when they were making it ? I doubt that. And of course they say that every time, I would hope they still get excited about their new work each time.

:huh: Yes, because being able to say "Yes, the last time we played _____ was on __ __ 19__" says everything about being well informed about your own music. Let's try to pull that one on Edge, Larry or Adam.

U2girl said:

:huh: Yes, because being able to say "Yes, the last time we played _____ was on __ __ 19__" says everything about being well informed about your own music. Let's try to pull that one on Edge, Larry or Adam.

Well, I think it does say something about him being well informed. He is one of the guys who has to put their setlist together. Maybe the reason why they have been playing Pride and One so heavily is because Bono thinks they haven't played it for a decade or so.

gump said:

Well, I think it does say something about him being well informed. He is one of the guys who has to put their setlist together. Maybe the reason why they have been playing Pride and One so heavily is because Bono thinks they haven't played it for a decade or so.

Bono is absent-minded, not senile. :wink:

Frankly, I'm not sure I can be bothered replying. My previous points have not been refuted. The replies either miss the point or aren't effective.

Have fun worshipping the oracle of knowledge that is Bono. Meanwhile, I'll listen to people who actually have a passion for their music and don't spout off soundbytes that are all style and no substance.

Axver said:

Meanwhile, I'll listen to people who actually have a passion for their music and don't spout off soundbytes that are all style and no substance.

Hmm..I think almost everyone at interference would agree that Bono has more than enough passion for his music, an unwonted passion for his music actually...thats partly what makes U2 so fun to listen to/watch......

So not really sure where you're going with that one Axver :wink:

gump said:

No, it doesn't. You could do that with any member of any band: "What's the exact date you played ____ last?" - and vast majority would probably miss it. Being a human factoid on setlists has zero to do with being informed about your music.

And uh, they play Pride and One because they're hits.

Axver: I guess if you're tired of debating, that's a nice dodge to use. And yes, I'm sure he has zero passion on his own music.

U2girl said:

No, it doesn't. You could do that with any member of any band: "What's the exact date you played ____ last?" - and vast majority would probably miss it. Being a human factoid on setlists has zero to do with being informed about your music.

And uh, they play Pride and One because they're hits.

Axver: I guess if you're tired of debating, that's a nice dodge to use. And yes, I'm sure he has zero passion on his own music.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Meanwhile, I'll listen to people who actually have a passion for their music and don't spout off soundbytes that are all style and no substance.

Yes, I'm sure Bono was thinking of "style" during those "soundbytes."

And if Bono had no passion, he would've quit a long time ago, lets think a little before coming to illogical conclusions that really make zero sense when given some thought...just some :rolleyes:

I think all he's trying to say is that he wishes if Bono would talk about the album, he'd at least give us some information that is indicative of what the album will be like in at least the slightest form.

Because Bono, never, NEVER is. I'm tired of "OMGZORZ tis album is teh awsumour best evar mang!!!11!!one!11". I want a little substance.

Bono resorts to the soundbyte cliche's when he isn't supposed to talk about something. If he said upfront that he didn't want to talk about it the interviewers would keep pestering him and then he ends up saying things he isn't supposed to say. By using the soundbyte the interviewer gets what they want and Bono doesn't get in trouble with the band. He specifically uses things that are meaningless so that it won't get twisted around like the infamous "dense" record being touted as a "dance" record because of the german interviewer. For quite a few years now Bono has talked about how the advent of the internet makes it harder and harder for the band to surprise the fans. To me they are keeping things very close to the chest about this album and one of the ways they do this is by using these cliches. Even the comments Edge has made fall into this category. From past experience it is obvious that no matter what kind of album they think they are making what they end up with may bear no resemblance to it, so saying anything specific only sets up false expectations. It may also limit them in creativity because if they have been talking in specifics then they put pressure on themselves to stick with what they've said rather than follow the creative muse. Sure it would be great if they dropped the cliches and said nothing but that just antagonizes the media into digging more agressively and/or being offended that they aren't communicating as with the resentment of the media blackout pre-AB. So Bono tosses the media peanuts and they leave the band alone.

Dana

I don't think you're quite right. Having taken into account what they've said, it's gonna be something different to ATYCLB and HTDAAB.. but at the same time it doesn't have to be progressive(like POP), it'll be just different

shart1780 said:
I think all he's trying to say is that he wishes if Bono would talk about the album, he'd at least give us some information that is indicative of what the album will be like in at least the slightest form.
what would it matter?
would it make the music better or worse?
or would it help you in your decision whether to go and buy the album or not?

due to the internet we'll get to hear the actual songs before buying the album
so who cares even if Bono would say it sounds like the sounds of swans mating in the bahamas?
it doesn't make 1 bit of difference

rihannsu said:
From past experience it is obvious that no matter what kind of album they think they are making what they end up with may bear no resemblance to it, so saying anything specific only sets up false expectations. It may also limit them in creativity because if they have been talking in specifics then they put pressure on themselves to stick with what they've said rather than follow the creative muse.
So Bono tosses the media peanuts and they leave the band alone.

I've thought this quite often. Your comments were spot on.
well done Dana :up:

Back
Top Bottom