For comparison: Usenet discussion from 1991 about "The Fly"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone posted this same link a few weeks ago somewhere around here (didn't give it it's own thread though) so I don't remember where, but I remember reading it though, and yeah it's interesting to see how similar peoples first reactions are. And funny that people were being accused of not being "true U2 fans" then too.

The consensus here(or as close as inteference will get to a consensus) is that they didnt nail the Fly live until somewhere on the Vertigo tour(I personally say U2:3D).

Hmmm, I'm more impressed with the ZooTV performance. Not quite the instrumental performance, but I like Bono's voice better in the ZooTV area.

They Fly is a song I loved instantly (Edge's solo almost brought me to tears...it is still his best). Being a huge shoegaze fan - I'm a sucker for echoing/distorted/layered guitars. I loved The Fly more when I heard the rest of the album. It is still one of my Top Ten U2 songs of all time.

I can't say I loved GOYB instantly, but I am certainly liking it more and more. Now, I can say I love it - slightly. There is something about it that keeps drawing me closer, something almost subliminal. I have a strange feeling that U2 is throwing us a curveball, just like they did with The Fly. I'm starting to truly believe that NLOTH is going to blow us away.

One thing for sure - it is now safe to say that U2 is certainly moving in another new direction, which is very exciting.

Finger crossed

Hahaha wow! That's some funny stuff. I wonder how many of those peope are eating their words now. I'll bet you 85% of the people who were trashing the Fly back then look back now and think "gee how wrong was I" :lol:

Yeah, but it did great on alternative rock radio.

And which rock genre dominated the 90's??? :hmm:

The Fly on the Elevation Boston DVD is mesmerizing. The best part of that DVD.

I agree, though I flip between it and Streets. The Fly on the Elevation Tour is so great cause Bono's not playing guitar. We don't need Bono on guitar durring the Fly :lol: But The Edge absolutely kills it and Bono's performance and interaction with the crowd make it one of my favorite live perfomances the band has ever done. Plus the intro is classic and how Bono makes the jet sound before it kicks into high gear. I freaking love it!! :heart:

I agree, though I flip between it and Streets. The Fly on the Elevation Tour is so great cause Bono's not playing guitar. We don't need Bono on guitar durring the Fly :lol: But The Edge absolutely kills it and Bono's performance and interaction with the crowd make it one of my favorite live perfomances the band has ever done. Plus the intro is classic and how Bono makes the jet sound before it kicks into high gear. I freaking love it!! :heart:

Love...we shine like a Burning star We're falling from the sky
Tonight ...... GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO edgeee!

I love how on the Boston DVD version of the Fly they added a guitar part to the chorus where in earlier versions and in the studio the guitar was unheard of in the chorus. I wonder if they played The Fly even once during Popmart? :hmm:

Wow. Just...wow. The Fly is one of their best songs, I'm surprised at some of these comments.

I got into U2 during their Pop Period, so I wasn't shocked at their new 'sound', but I can imagine it. U2 had a certain style that they did from Boy through Rattle and Hum, and then suddenly they abandoned that with AB. I can imagine a lot of fans being confused.

Get On Your Boots will probably become a U2 classic.

I couldn't have imagined how amazingly bland and basic chat sites looked like back then. Please someone show me. :wink:

Yeah, actually it would be like that. Although not as bland as I thought, at least its got colours.

I couldn't have imagined how amazingly bland and basic chat sites looked like back then. Please someone show me. :wink:

I remember when I first got on the internet in 1994, I was on one of the first versions of America Online. Basic and bland it definitely was.

I remember when I first got on the internet in 1994, I was on one of the first versions of America Online. Basic and bland it definitely was.

But at the time you would've thought this the best thing to happen to technology. :D

I was 10 at the time. I didn't even know people (the general public) were using the internet or had email at this point. :shocked:

I learn something new each day.

the fly was a little deeper in lyrical content than boots. im already over the lyrics in boots.

Back
Top Bottom