First Listen for me: Vinyl Record Of NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonna Run 2 U

New Yorker
I think this album will deserve the vinyl treatment from start to finish. Anyone else going to buy the vinyl and just put it on the record player get a cold one and relax? Am i alone, am i the only one with a record player??:ohmy::

When, where, how, which format, speakers or headphones?? The first listen is extremely important!

Album release party?:hmm:

It depends where i'll be when the music is out. If i'm at work and the album leaks as happened with Bomb, i will burn a cd before hearing anything and listen in my car. If i'm at home it will be in my stereo. A good old fashion listening of the album is always the best way to go. Unfortunately i don't have a record player, so i have to go with a cd...

the vinyl edition is now missing from amazon UK listings, link does not exist anymore
hope it's still scheduled for euro release, since its the only format i want to get

I'll buy the CD, and will listen to it on my computer, in dark, late night.

The album will leak, I will go berserk and download it, and then listen to it a million times in a row.

vynll kicks ass,especially when it hasminor scratches to get that authentic crackle. I love listening to my parents old school albums: U2: October, U2: Achtung baby, Michael Jackson: Thriller, the talking heads. absoloutelly fantastic.

However, recently, the speakers (about 20 years old, literally) are packing in, yet it still beats my stereo. I just might buy both the vynll and the CD.

The album will leak, I will go berserk and download it, and then listen to it a million times in a row.

This sounds about right. Actually, it's a pretty much exactly what happenend for me in November 2004. Hopefully in 2013 I'll be listening to NLOTH a little more often than I'm currently listening to HTDAAB.

This sounds about right. Actually, it's a pretty much exactly what happenend for me in November 2004. Hopefully in 2013 I'll be listening to NLOTH a little more often than I'm currently listening to HTDAAB.

Hopefully, they will release the next album before 2013. :crack:

first listen for me will probably be on the car stereo in a supermarket car park haha

I think I'm going to get the vinyl... but I really don't know which one to get:

1) No Line On The Horizon - (just the CD): $9.99
2) No Line On The Horizon Vinyl - (2 LP): $17.99
3) No Line On The Horizon - (CD/Poster/Film Download): $35.99
4) No Line On The Horizon - (CD/Magazine/Film Download): $49.99
5) No Line On The Horizon Box Set - (CD/Poster/Book/DVD): $94.99

I'm leaning toward the box set, but I don't know if I want to spend that much money.

I don't know... its a tough choice.

I have to say I regret buying the 'box set' of HTDAAB. I miss having the actual album, in its jewel case with the booklet and album art to line up alongside all the other albums

I don't even own cd's anymore, I could care less about vinyl. Everything is digital for me. Heck I don't even own dvd's. I have a home server with a library of video and high def media streamers throughout.

I hate tangible media, cd's, dvd's

I don't even own cd's anymore, I could care less about vinyl. Everything is digital for me. Heck I don't even own dvd's. I have a home server with a library of video and high def media streamers throughout.

I hate tangible media, cd's, dvd's
I love having the actual record... especially vinyl.

If my mum likes it, Ill get it on Vinyl as well. I collect records, but I dont play them, so Id rather buy it if I know it'll get used, which my mum will do. :)

She stole my Vertigo 45. :madwife:

what was the difference between the box set and just the album?

The HTDAAB "box" was a booklet, CD and DVD. Which I was a little underwhelmed with myself. The book wasnt particualarly interesting, just some scribbles, doodles and notes by the band. :/

Dvd was pretty much them talking about the songs on the album.

Eh, hopefully I'll listen to NLOTH more than I currently listen to almost all of U2's catalog. I pick and choose my U2 these days, so I tend to make some sort of collection of favorites rather than just one album. As such, I have songs from JT on, but AB dominates (with little to nothing from JT, Zooropa, Pop and ATYCLB). But gone are the "album days" of the past.

My attitude is not unique. The #1 selling album (and this includes CD's and downloads) for the year (meaning Jan. 1st to Dec. 31st) sold just shy of 3M copies in the U.S. Yet five songs (!) had more legal (paid) downloads than that (see this link). It's like we've returned to the 50's and 60's where the single was more popular than the album. Maybe U2's idea of having a "collection of songs" for both ATYCLB and HTDAAB wasn't such a bad idea, because that appears to be where music is going.

So album? :shrug:

Vinyl? :drool: I have a turntable and I collect vinyl, but I tend to go for mp3's. Maybe I will listen to vinyl this time... :hmm: Regardless, I will definitely get the vinyl version if released.

The HTDAAB "box" was a booklet, CD and DVD. Which I was a little underwhelmed with myself. The book wasnt particualarly interesting, just some scribbles, doodles and notes by the band. :/

Dvd was pretty much them talking about the songs on the album.
OK I think I'm going to get the box and the vinyl.

Got to start saving up money.

No Line On The Horizon Vinyl - (2 LP): $17.99
Box Set - (CD/Poster/Book/DVD): $94.99

I especially want the vinyl. :hyper:
Not sure I want the book but I do want the DVD so..
there's not much choice but to go with the Box Set.

I'm a DJ so I always get the vinyl as well as the CD. I'm not a believer of the "vinyl sounds better" assertion, but I love having the vinyl version. My favorite part of a new U2 record, as a DJ, is always thinking, okay, which of these tracks can I get away with playing in a club?

It would be great if the box set contained vinyls as well. I have spent a lot of money buying all U2 albums on vinyl and it seems I will have to spend some more this year. But I still love the experience of playing it on vinyl. It is also nice to be able to consider sides 1 and 2 of the record as two separate halves.

Am I the only one who loved the Bomb Book? I thought it was quite unique. I found the "scribbling" to be an interesting look at what Bono thinks about, before it's refined into lyrics (which have been rather trite this decade). And Edge's musings about bombs, phobias etc. gave you something to think about. Also loved the yin and yang of the Oppenheimer and Gandhi quotes and how you can open it from either end.

Bottom line is that for me it came off as very personal, and at least it wasn't just a bunch of photos. And while it was frustrating that they didn't include the album lyrics, it DOES have the lyrics to Mercy!

I keep it on a bookshelf, and bought a used copy of the regular CD to have something with the rest of my music.

My first listen of the new album will be in whatever form it leaks in - most likely 128kbps mp3, unfortunately. Then I'll listen to the whole thing on CD with my box set on 3 March.

Unfortunately, no vinyl here... I don't have a record player, nor do I have the money or parental support (considering that I'm 15) needed to sustain a vinyl collection.

Back
Top Bottom