First Listen for me: Vinyl Record Of NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot to answer the question of the thread. I was totally about downloading the leak the last three albums (I had all of POP on cassette before it came out!), but I am waiting until the release date. This album seems important enough to go through the ritual of the purchase, to hold it, and to look at the booklet while I'm listening to it.

My first listen of the new album will be in whatever form it leaks in - most likely 128kbps mp3, unfortunately. Then I'll listen to the whole thing on CD with my box set on 3 March.

Unfortunately, no vinyl here... I don't have a record player, nor do I have the money or parental support (considering that I'm 15) needed to sustain a vinyl collection.

"parental support" :lol:

Although, the more I think about it, I might want to wait until I get the thing on CD to listen to it... I held out with Viva la Vida, and Harry Potter 7.

Am I the only one who loved the Bomb Book? I thought it was quite unique. I found the "scribbling" to be an interesting look at what Bono thinks about, before it's refined into lyrics (which have been rather trite this decade). And Edge's musings about bombs, phobias etc. gave you something to think about. Also loved the yin and yang of the Oppenheimer and Gandhi quotes and how you can open it from either end.

Bottom line is that for me it came off as very personal, and at least it wasn't just a bunch of photos. And while it was frustrating that they didn't include the album lyrics, it DOES have the lyrics to Mercy!

I keep it on a bookshelf, and bought a used copy of the regular CD to have something with the rest of my music.

:up: agreed. This is the item I carried around with me when I thought there might have been a 1 in a zillion chance of them signing something for me. Didn't happen, but yeah I love the book.

Oh and I'm sure my first listen (not counting leaks) will be the cd in my car. Which is fine, it's where I can listen to music most these days. I'll buy the vinyl too because I always do, I'll never give that up if I can help it.

:up: agreed. This is the item I carried around with me when I thought there might have been a 1 in a zillion chance of them signing something for me. Didn't happen, but yeah I love the book.

I would have liked the idea of a good book if it added something extra to songs. Something that offered insight into the meaning of the songs, how they came about, etc.

But the HTDAAB book was full of total nonsense! For one:

"We win, we loose, it's perfect"

What?!?

And yes, they seriously did spell 'lose' like that!:doh:

I'm a DJ so I always get the vinyl as well as the CD. I'm not a believer of the "vinyl sounds better" assertion

Really? :hmm: I believe Vinyl sounds WAY superior than CD! Or maybe it is my stereo? Vinyl sounds crisp clear and you seem to hear more notes than you do on a CD version. I even compared remasters to the original vinyl and vinyl blows the socks off it IMHO :drool:

If it does come out in the UK, it will be my first vinyl record in a very very long time :drool: But of course I will get the CD too for easier use :wink:

Everytime a i see the "First Listen..." title i have a minor shock as i think for an instant that is about the new single :D

I would have liked the idea of a good book if it added something extra to songs. Something that offered insight into the meaning of the songs, how they came about, etc.

What?!?

I understand what you're saying. But I'm also not sure I want the meanings, origins and history of every song spelled out in black and white for me. This was a very personal album according to them, and I think what we see in the book felt personal enough, if that's the extent they were willing to share at the time. I enjoyed it anyways!

Really? :hmm: I believe Vinyl sounds WAY superior than CD! Or maybe it is my stereo? Vinyl sounds crisp clear and you seem to hear more notes than you do on a CD version. I even compared remasters to the original vinyl and vinyl blows the socks off it IMHO :drool:

I think you're totally right...but it also depends on what you are using to play/hear it. It could well be your stereo. I personally think that CD's can be quite clear with a great pair of headphones...or really good surround speakers. Other than that they can sound like complete shit. It also doesn't help that every rock album is being mixed on the CD to have all its levels at full blast so that you can't hear the differences between sounds. Sucks when you turn it even remotely loud...its like everything turns into a big loud mess.

technics MK1200, stanton needles and a good preamp mixer hooked up to a great amp (say, Bryston) with 4 Ohm speakers is the way to go for vinyl.

:hyper:

Dansette Bermuda with a 40 year old stylus.

:up:

Digitalize, I got my record player from a tip/dump. ;) You can probably get one anywhere dirt cheap like a second hand shop, same for the records.

I think you're totally right...but it also depends on what you are using to play/hear it. It could well be your stereo. I personally think that CD's can be quite clear with a great pair of headphones...or really good surround speakers. Other than that they can sound like complete shit. It also doesn't help that every rock album is being mixed on the CD to have all its levels at full blast so that you can't hear the differences between sounds. Sucks when you turn it even remotely loud...its like everything turns into a big loud mess.

Well my stereo was a top of the range Sony Kick Ass Digital Super Woofer Speaker thingy in the 90's. I have never been able to put the speakers at full range as I'd blow the fecking widows out :sad: I tried them at level 20, went downstairs and the ceiling light was swaying from side to side DOWNSTAIRS :lol: Anyway I digress....

The point you made was valid on the levels at full blast so you can't hear the difference between sounds! On records you can hear different things so clearly, and on CD it is a cluttered mess. Everything is jumping out at you, I feel CD misses so much :sad: I use the same Stereo for both, I even turn bass down/up change the "moods" and CD is still no way near :angry:

I mean Gloria on Vinyl :heart: CD don't come near it :doh:

:yes:

I fully expect my computer to start vibrating or pinging or something when the first single is released or leaked.
Even if it's off.:up::giggle:

I know as soon as it is I'll be pinging, pinging about the room like a freaking lunatic with excitement :hyper:

I got a record player for xmas. I think the vinyl treatment will go down tres nicely with nloth and a cold one!!

I'll probably buy the $35 edition with the CD, film, and poster. I'll see what iTunes is offering too in terms of extra features. I may buy the album there as well.

I'll probably buy the $35 edition with the CD, film, and poster. I'll see what iTunes is offering too in terms of extra features. I may buy the album there as well.

The Complete Collection will probably be back on iTunes when the album is released. I would think the Cobijn film will be an extra video track with the album, just like many first single videos are included in new albums on iTunes.

I'll probably buy the album from a digital store other than iTunes, so I can get it at 256kbps or 320kbps, after midnight on the 2nd of March. It's really disappointing Universal isn't on iTunes Plus yet. I'll probably buy all the CD versions of the album, utterly pointless and a waste of money but I just want to know I have them all, that's just the kind of guy I am :D. Plus I went trough a shocking number of copies of the Bomb through my carelessnes breaking/scratching the CDs. :doh:

Last edited:

What?!?

Umm, did you even read the book? Written on the same page as the "nonsense" you quoted, is this:

"Trust exists everywhere, even in things that are not 100% trustworthy. Some things can only exist because of trust, like money. Going to the check-out counter is an act of faith. 1 in 28 items are priced incorrectly, but it's random: over time it evens out. We win, we loose, it's perfect."

Now these are random musings but I wouldn't call it nonsense. You have other things in the book like remembrances about Bono's father, the notion of charity, thoughts about the artistic process. It's hardly throwaway.

Whether you choose to take nothing from it is your loss; I found the thing rather inspiring, instead of just listing Amnesty International and Greenpeace's contact information, they try to engage the listener on a more personal level about activism and what's on their minds while recording the music.

Umm, did you even read the book? Written on the same page as the "nonsense" you quoted, is this:

"Trust exists everywhere, even in things that are not 100% trustworthy. Some things can only exist because of trust, like money. Going to the check-out counter is an act of faith. 1 in 28 items are priced incorrectly, but it's random: over time it evens out. We win, we loose, it's perfect."

Now these are random musings but I wouldn't call it nonsense. You have other things in the book like remembrances about Bono's father, the notion of charity, thoughts about the artistic process. It's hardly throwaway.

Whether you choose to take nothing from it is your loss; I found the thing rather inspiring, instead of just listing Amnesty International and Greenpeace's contact information, they try to engage the listener on a more personal level about activism and what's on their minds while recording the music.

Its too bad the album didn't reflect that same level of inspiration

I won't have the willpower to wait for the vinyl. The last few vinyls I've purchased always arrive a week or two after the CD/Digital release and I don't have any physical place to go to that will sell it on the 3rd.

The writing inside the bonus books could be proof that Bono is the next Messiah, but it loses all its credibility for me by having a huge, glaring typo in the final product.

"Loose" instead of "lose" makes me want to stab things.

I won't have the willpower to wait for the vinyl. The last few vinyls I've purchased always arrive a week or two after the CD/Digital release and I don't have any physical place to go to that will sell it on the 3rd.

I talked to the guy at my local record store (Red Eye) and he said there is a chance it'll come in on the 2nd but there is really no way of knowing. It's completely in Universal's hands, and to them, the vinyl release is probably a low priority. The real money-maker is the iTunes release. And I'll be honest, if the vinyl isn't there on the 2nd when I go in after work, I'll just grab the cd! I'm not waiting any longer than I have to!

The writing inside the bonus books could be proof that Bono is the next Messiah, but it loses all its credibility for me by having a huge, glaring typo in the final product.

"Loose" instead of "lose" makes me want to stab things.

It's handwritten. It's not as if it was typed out and they failed to correct it when printing or something.

I'll totally knife fight you Beat It-style.

If it leaks before March 2nd I'll try to put all songs together in the album order and listen to everything at once with a few beers, nobody talking to me, silence silence, just U2 at full volume! :drool:

Back
Top Bottom