Eze Clips DISCUSSION thread only II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there is no way these are b-sides...and that has nothing to do with the song quality, but because why the hell would Bono blasting b-sides from his Villa.

anyway, songs 1 and 4 sound amazing to me and have the potential to be classics. the others are good too. i am just a bit apprehensive of the "Sexy Boots" in song 3....overall, the song has a great groove, but a stupid phrase could ruin it.

I've been up and down with these songs. It's probably my fault for confusing you. Sorry about that. I'm a bit obsessed. Kind of like when a long lost love leaves you a voicemail and you listen to it over and over and over again trying to figure out exactly what they meant.. :wink:

My god with a comparison like that we really can't doubt your commitment to the U2 cause!! :bow: :D

Here's hoping that they don't let you down when it comes to the crunch... I know exactly what you mean and I was starting to get really worried that I was being way too over the top in my praise and analysis of the clips. I'm a fan who ranks Zooropa #1 in my favourites and ATYCLB at #2 so you can see how messed up my tastes are! :hmm: HTDAAB just didn't click with me at all though and the one thing I'm certain of is that these clips show U2 moving way above and beyond what they were doing on that record. And playing the clips to a few friends has only re-confirmed my enthusiasm because the feedback was very positive - particularly about clips #1 and #4.

Can i just ask.... why are there so many new people signing up just to wine about what these new clips sound like?

get over it, find another band.

Can i just ask.... why are there so many new people signing up just to wine about what these new clips sound like?

Hmmmm....not very cordial.

What else should people talk about? Their favorite U2 moment on SNL? or on Top of the Pops?

Isn't this more exciting and new?

BTW, although my posts may not show it, I've been a member for well over 5 years who has probably posted over 4K times. I just stayed away too long and forgot my password and just started over again....in case you were wondering :D

Hmmmm....not very cordial.

What else should people talk about? Their favorite U2 moment on SNL? or on Top of the Pops?

Isn't this more exciting and new?

BTW, although my posts may not show it, I've been a member for well over 5 years who has probably posted over 4K times. I just stayed away too long and forgot my password and just started over again....in case you were wondering :D

Trust me people signing up to this forum just to have a moan is nothing new.

p.s. it wasnt a dig at everyone

Well it's not like only positive comments are allowed. There will be U2 fans who are excited with the new album and there will be U2 fans who are disappointed with the new album. Both should be welcomed, because afterall, they are U2 fans. There would be no discourse without differing opinions.

Ah sure the more the merrier! And at least now there's something interesting enough hapening to bring new people on board... And to get old-timers like myself actually posting again instead of lurking in the background!!

no need to explain.

I was around when people were moaning about the ATYCLB clips that u2.com were leaking out. That was painful. Imagine 20-30 second clips being completely analyzed and disected over and over and over again. But it was still entertaining none the less.

Now that the excitement has worn off, I would agree that these tracks are underwhelming. But they are in rough form and do have potential. At this point, I think it's safe to say that fans pining for another album in the vein of Achtung Baby are in for a disappointment. So these desperate and forced attempts to compare some element of the new songs to some element of the Achtung songs need to just stop now.

I think you are missing the point. People don't want an album that sounds like Achtung Baby. They want one that has the same effect. They are using it as an example to pinpoint a moment in U2's history where they were daring, innovative and did something totally different, and it turned out to be their best work.

Those that are saying they want another Achtung Baby are not saying they want it to sound the same, they want them to take a risk, go somewhere totally different, and come up with something innovative, new and exciting.

It also irks me that it is those people that are saying 'don't judge the songs on raw sounding clips' are also those who appear to be disappointed with everything. I think many people hear need to practice what they preach.

Have an opinion by all means, but I think the caveat on not judging the clips too early applies to everyone, not just those who are enjoying them.

Wow I snoozed on this!! Thank God for U2 Live Journal...I should probably subscribe to Where the Album Has No Name so I get an email when there are leaks.

Anyhoo, I'm happy the songs are so uptempo, I only heard three "songs" but the one called "Only Love" is my favorite so far. I haven't heard song 1 of the 4 song beach clips...

Reminds me alot of Achtung Baby (which IS U2's best album in MY opinion) from what I could hear of the muffled recordings and in between beach waves and foreign languages. And that's not a "complaint", more of a joke! :lol:

Oh, and just as an FYI, I still have access to tons of bandwidth and web space. Um, should it ever be needed.

I know. I just can't stop listening to it. I can't wait to hear it for real. If its this beautiful from a phone recorder on a beach ... :drool:

I can't wait to hear it in concert.

This song blows me away.
Someone is talking about fuzz.... I can hear the music perfectly and it IS perfect:applaud:

So, let's say for a minute that the 5 songs we've heard, plus the 2 from 06 ("I Believe" and "All My Life") are actually on the album in the way we've heard them....
That's 7 tunes.
More than half the album. What will everyone think if indeed that's the case?
Because most folk here are using the "these are just demos recorded bootleg on a beach" plan...as though much will change between now and November.

What if these are the tunes exactly as to be released? (Minus beach noise of course...):D

So, let's say for a minute that the 5 songs we've heard, plus the 2 from 06 ("I Believe" and "All My Life") are actually on the album in the way we've heard them....
That's 7 tunes.
Because most folk here are using the "these are just demos recorded bootleg on a beach" plan...as though much will change between now and November.

What if these are the tunes exactly as to be released? (Minus beach noise of course...):D

dude...you can't be serious! There's no way in hell to judge an album simply with what we have now...no way..

That's 7 tunes.

All my life and I believe are probably too old and are changed beyond recognition but what about the "surface of your love" song? The guitar was pretty cool and it's a recent clip. If Mercy is fixed up we have more. Also songs related to the larrystudio and larrystuff U2.com clips could add to it as well. This is going to be a solid album.

dude...you can't be serious! There's no way in hell to judge an album simply with what we have now...no way..

Well, I'm not serious in that I know this could very well be nothing that's on the album.
I'm just saying: suppose it actually was?
Since we're all guessing and deliberating, arguing, gushing, bashing, and who knows what else over these tunes, I'm asking a simple question: suppose these are actually the tunes?

That would most likely leave on 4 songs we haven't heard....

Best album since AB. Easily. Probably better also than R&H, OCtober, War, UABRS - The only ones that could possibly beat it with the prmoise it is showing is AB, JT, UF and Boy

Indeed.

In accordance with this, attempts to compare some element of the new songs to some element of the Achtung songs should not stop now. It's all opinion, after all.

Well I would hope that everyone here understands that it is all a matter of opinion.

There are no facts when ranking anything related to music.

I'm pretty sure these are well beyond demo phase. They may have been rough mixes, but doubt there is still re-recording going on.

With waves and idle chatter and muffled lead guitar and percussion parts? Actually, come to think of it, if Radiohead did that it would be hailed as innovative!

Haha, exactly! :lol: I think that would be U2's most experimental album ever.

:wink:

Seriously I meant the songs sound fine to me, not "rough" as some people are saying. Of course there could still be some improvements made, I just hope they don't over-produce them or anything. I want to hear these songs on the album, not as b-sides (of course, minus waves and chatter :D)

These are definitely not demos, or unfinished mixes, these are the final, polished product. I can't see why Bono would play unfinished mixes when the album was completed weeks ago. In any case we will find out everything we need to know in 12 weeks! (Although I have seen some reports saying the album is coming out early in the new year - hope not!)

That's 7 tunes.

Amazing album. :up:

From the clips you can hear the structure of the songs but not the details. The details in a song can make it or break it. If for example we had a beach clip from "the fly" it wouldn't sound nearly as good as the clean version. You couldn't hear the awesome drumming, the haunting organ/keyboard sequence, the little techno stuff etc. The problem with the beach clips is that they sound so muffled that you can hear the direction and the structure of the songs but I would wait till something more audible comes along before passing judgement. I find the clips very interesting and promising but that is really the only sensible thing I can say about them.

imagine that prank pulled on us

there is no way these are b-sides...and that has nothing to do with the song quality, but because why the hell would Bono blasting b-sides from his Villa.

He wants us to be 100% surprised about this album. So when the album comes out everyone will start from zero and we will already have heard the B-sides. 5 of them, no less.

Back
Top Bottom