Extra track on Linear is: Winter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back on topic.

I doubt Winter and White as Snow are separate, distinct songs.
It is most likely that Winter is an earlier, longer version of White As Snow.

Because it seems highly unlikely that the band would write 2 acoustic ballads, both about snow and brothers. Further proof is the fact that White as Snow is being used in the Brothers movie as well, replacing Winter.

Looking at this amalgamation of various sources description of the songs seems to cement the fact that these aren't separate songs

9. "White As Snow"

? - identical with the working title track "Winter" (white snow = winter), so we do know more about it.
? - Q-source: "featuring a fine Bono lyric about a soldier in an unspecified war zone, surrounded by a deceptively simple rhythm track and an evocative string arrangement courtesy of Eno"
? - Q-magazine: "6 minute ballad. Echoes of Simon & Garfunkel in this poignant, acoustic string laden ballad about a soldier in the snow of Afghanistan. Will appear in the new film Brothers starring Tobey Maguire about the emotional fallout of the war. Edge on backing vocals with Bono for "Winter"."
? RS-article: "lovely discarded ballad"
? - Independent: "a stark, stripped back and striking tune with imploring vocals"
? - u2tour.de: "This quiet and short track leads almost the end of the album"; "starts with an atmospheric electronic noise, through which the sound of a soulful acoustic guitar sets"; "it is expected formally supporting the voice of Johnny Cash, but Bono is using his voice here similarly intense". "The song is about forgiveness and how your own brother can become a stranger to you". "Musically reminiscent in parts of "Springhill Mining Disaster""
? Brunocam: "Atmospheric acoustic ballad, about a soldier lost in snow in Afghanistan. "Where I came from there were no hills at all / The land was flat, straight highway and the wider / My brother and i would drive for hours" recalls Bono, travel by the mind of a soldier lost in their memories, in an epic track."
? Perfectly Cromulent: "Piano playing a lullaby. Spare, Johnny Cash guitar. This is what "The Wanderer" might have been like had he recorded it. Intro sounds like the Necks. Bono does Nick Cave. A murder ballad: "My brother and I would drive for hours" / "The water was icy, the road refuses strangers"/ "They were hunting in the woods". Hypnotically slow narration. I can see this rapidly becoming one of my favourite ever U2 songs. Like nothing they've ever done. Please make a bare-bones country album one day."

BLITZ: No Line On The Horizon - reviews

you know, one thing that i just thought about is, didn't the actor say that this film would be 90 minutes?

if so, let's say the 3 extra tracks average 5 minutes each, that only brings us to around 70 minutes. so what's going on with the extra 20 minutes? no music?

you know, one thing that i just thought about is, didn't the actor say that this film would be 90 minutes?

if so, let's say the 3 extra tracks average 5 minutes each, that only brings us to around 70 minutes. so what's going on with the extra 20 minutes? no music?

Good question. I'm guessing it'll be no music--there will likely need to be at least a little low-key dialogue unless this thing is uber-arty.

Moment of Surrender could go on for another 20 minutes if it was up to me. One of the best songs ever.

well, that's one thing i'm wondering. will the 9 minute version of Moment Of Surrender be on Linear? Maybe an extended version of Cedars Of Lebanon? Extended Fez-Being Born?

Bono mentioned that there was more than one song about a soldier in Afghanistan in a description about White as Snow on the guardian.co.uk website. I get the feeling the original concept album they wanted to do was about this soldier character.

what if this ends up turning into an alternate/extended NLOTH album? :drool:

maybe this is the double album...

what if this ends up turning into an alternate/extended NLOTH album? :drool:

maybe this is the double album...

I agree that this could be a possibility...with the album known now, I feel there was very little speculation on what Linear really is that perhaps we should give it more thought! :hmm:

I know that there was little info provided by anyone (band/media) on Linear...but what if there are huge surprises? What if there are 14 new songs (that perhaps didn't fit on the album)? :hyper:

We heard there were perhaps 14 songs including some instrumentals, but perhaps it`s not necessarily the 11 we know now +3, but perhaps more new ones. I mean if this thing is 90 minutes long and NLOTH is 54 minutes long, then for 3 extra songs it would be 36 minutes! Highly doubtful....so either there are lots of breaks/talk or some songs on NLOTH are not on it, making more than 3 new (long) songs!

Anyway, just some thoughts, but I wouldn`t be surprised by a few more new tracks! I wouldn't therefore miss the chance to rip them in MP3 to make it a double album some of us wanted all along! :drool: :D

Forgot to point out as well that even that last few videos on u2.com are playing music not on the album:

-Songwriting in Morocco
-Dublin, New York, London

....why? on Linear?

Back
Top Bottom