Excerpt from the new RS article, "U2: Hymns For the Future" about "Winter" vs Singles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Excerpt from the new RS article, "U2: Hymns For the Future" about "Winter" vs Singles

The March 19, 2009 issue arrived in the mail today, and, while I'm sure there isn't much in the way of new information in it, there was part of it that I felt compelled to type out(a little of it was in the part the RS site has, but not close to all of it). It has to do with the battle over "Winter", and the philosophical musical differences between Brian Eno and the band. It's the debate we've had countless times about whether or not U2 are focusing on singles too much, pretty much had out in consolidated form in this article. Eno plays the part of the person who doesn't care about singles, and Bono responds with an argument that is valid and interesting (except for lumping the Sex Pistols in the same category as the Beatles). The rest of the article isn't about this particular subject as much, and this is just over a page from an article that has in the neighborhood of 4 pages worth of text. Read on...

In the basement of London's Olympic Studios, armed only with a MacBook and a Nord keyboard, Brian Eno is leading a doomed, one-man insurgency. It's early December and U2 are wrapping up their sessions for No Line, the track listing almost finalized, but Eno is still pushing for prayerful, moody songs that were long ago abandoned. He's most passionate about "Winter", which sounds like no other U2 song. It begins with fingerpicked, chiming acoustic guitar and falsetto backing vocals, and once Bono hits a key line - "Summer sings in me no more" - Eno's dramatic strings kick in. "Listening to the silence, the deaf and dumb roar of white noise/your voice", Bono sings at one point, followed by a choral chant. "Beautiful, isn't it? They're bonkers to leave it off," Eno says with real sadness, as the tune winds up with soaring, dissonant strings - they're synthesized played on his little keyboard down here in the basement.

Well before Barack Obama thought of it, U2 embraced Abraham Lincoln's idea of a team of rivals. "Brian's job is basically to take everything and destroy it," says Lillywhite. "And I suppose I come in after he's destroyed it, and I listen to what he's done, and to what was there before, and I sort of get some middle ground, and try and bring it back to a place where art and commerce live side by side." Adds Edge, "That tension is important to the process. But I think we're pretty much always right."

Eno, whose fearlessly arty vision has shaped some of the best rock of the last 30 years - from Roxy Music to his experimental solo albums to Bowie in Berlin to Coldplay's Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends - is bald, professorial, and unexpectedly genial, with Prada glasses hanging on a chord around his neck. "It's too long, it needs a bit of work," he says of "Winter." "But, you know, they won't spend time on it. They've spent months working on the ones that are supposed to be the radio singles. Months! This: played, put aside."

"Winter" didn't make it, but another ballad, "White As Snow", came in at the last minute. And Eno is all over the record - the squiggy synth sounds are his, and many of the songs had their seed in the atmospheric loops he records using the program Logic Studio, giving them titles such as "Grunge Beatstorm Gate." "You can hear Brian in the sort of Germanic krautrock feel of the title track," says Clayton. "You can hear his brain there."

Eno and Lanois both pick the hypnotic, seven-minute-plus "Moment Of Surrender" as a favorite track, and the one closest to the original concept of the album. It came out of what the band its producers describe as a small miracle: They all stood together one day and improvised its entire structure from scratch, all at once. That original backing track made it to the final album, complete with a trance-y bass line Clayton was figuring out as he played it - you can hear him imitate the bass part from Grandmaster Flash's "White Lines" and then switch to another idea altogether - and Mullen's uneven high-hat work, thanks to a busted electronic drum kit. ("Adam is the star of the show on this album," Bono says. "No one knew he could move from his rock & roll pulse thing to the jaw-dropping bass part on 'Moment' or the sort of neo-Motown bass on 'Magnificent'") Eno fought hard to keep the band from messing too much with the original track. "These fucking guys," he says with a smile, "they're supposed to be so spiritual - they don't spot a miracle when it hits them in the face. Nothing like that ever happened to me in the studio in my whole life."

Eno's iTunes library is a U2 superfan's wet dream, with what seems to be hundreds of discarded songs and alternate takes. In some cases, Eno has written critiques in the "Comment" field, such as "This song needs faster and more urgent singing." He demonstrates the evolution of one potentional single, "Stand Up Comedy": It began as a tune driven by Middle Eastern-sounding mandolins, with Bono singing, "We don't know what the future's gonna bring." From there, it took on a "You Really Got Me"-like riff and a chanted chorus that revolved around the words "for your love" - a little too close to the Yardbirds for comfort. Then it shifted again: new riff, new melody and a chorus that retains only the words "for your love" - upstairs, Bono and LIllywhite are still working on it. "Get On Your Boots," which began as a Garageband demo by the Edge, went through a similarly complex progression. At one point, it was called "Four-Letter Word." And at some stage it lost its central riff, leaving it sounding like what Lillywhite describes as "a Beck B-side" that was in danger of being dropped from the record altogether.

Eno ducks the question of whether U2 have an artistic as well as commercial justification for focusing on potential hits. "You should ask the band that," he replies. And it turns out Bono has strong feelings on the subject. "We grew up on the rock & roll 45," he says. "It is, in an evolutionary way that Brian should, but doesn't, appreciate, the Darwinian peak of the species. It is by far the most difficult thing to pull off, and it is the very life force of rock & roll: vitality, succinctness and catchiness, whether it's the Sex Pistols, Nirvana, the Pixies, the Beatles, the Who, the Rolling Stones. And when rock music forgets about the 45, it tends toward progressive rock, which is like a mold that grows on old, burned-out artists who've run out of ideas. We have a soundtrack/Pink Floyd side of our band, and it has to be balanced by fine songwriting. And it's an infuriating thing for me to see indie rock & roll give up the single to R&B and hip-hop. And that's why I love the Kings of Leon album or the Killers album: These are people who have such belief in their musical power that they refuse to ghettoize it." Bono pauses, and returns to the subject of his friend Eno. "What he's listening for is a unique feeling, a unique mood and a unique palate. And he doesn't get hits - I bet he told Coldplay to leave 'Viva La Vida' off their album. Brian would listen to '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction' and say, 'I love that song, but can we get rid of the guitar bits? You know, the part that goes duhnt-duhnt-dunna dun?'"

Eno's iTunes library is a U2 superfan's wet dream, with what seems to be hundreds of discarded songs and alternate takes.

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Awesome - thanks for transcribing. At this point, the playful Eno / Lanois / U2 bickering is like listening to an old couple arguing in the supermarket. It grates a bit, but you know they know each other so well, that it's all right.

The funniest line, in a wry way:

"You can hear Brian in the sort of Germanic krautrock feel of the title track," says Clayton." lol!

This is depressing to read, knowing that there's a less overcooked version of Stand Up Comedy somewhere (I can't see how it could be worse than what we got), and that Bono's still on this 45 bullshit. We get it, you did this with the last two albums, give it a fucking rest. The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby didn't focus on hit songs--guess what, each album had a handful of successful singles! Focus on the fucking MUSIC, not on the audience.

I wanna hear these different Stand Up Comedys.
I want Enos laptop.

But I still think Winter is out of place and the album is near-perfect as it is.

I'm pretty sure there were songs on TJT and AB that the band made in hopes of them being well-received possible hits, let's not go overboard here. U2 have always cared about being popular, acclaimed, and relevant, there's nothing new or wrong with that either.

Thanks so much NamckuR. It only makes me more upset with the band. Achtung Baby had no sell-out moments -- maybe some of the lyrics, but nothing else. It was pure brilliance. Now, U2 is releasing dumbed down stuff -- trying to get on the charts with compromised artistic integrity. The Killers suck! Radiohead and Mogwai don't want to be lesser known. Prog rock isn't pretentious for the sake of it. These bands passionately make the kind of music they love and hope others will love it, too. Bono is praising far less talented people like Brandon Flowers, who is nothing if not pretentious and is full of himself if he thinks Thom Yorke and Radiohead have gone off track before "In Rainbows". The whole point has to be the music and then your audience. You can't let your audience tell you what to write to such a degree that you're only trying to appeal to so many people that you end up with formulaic fluff. What would the Beatles be if they didn't push boundaries. I'm all for Eno, even if I haven't loved all his work. The last decade has been a disaster for U2 because they've confused commercial success and Grammys recognition with artistic integrity. So tragic!

I'd like to hear those earlier versions of the singles, if Brian Eno thinks they were better, though -- maybe as b-sides.

I'm pretty sure there were songs on TJT and AB that the band made in hopes of them being well-received possible hits, let's not go overboard here. U2 have always cared about being popular, acclaimed, and relevant, there's nothing new or wrong with that either.

I think it's about degrees. Achtung Baby's "Mysterious Ways" and "Even Better Than The Real Thing" might have been attempts at a hit singles, but they were so different from everything on the airwaves. They were still great pieces of music and not obnoxious at all. They could have been so much more mainstream and lame to appeal to a wider demographic, but the art was able to survive the vetting process of the charts. The Fly didn't, but it's not at all a lesser song. My fear is that, while old U2 understood this, the new U2 doesn't.

This sums up U2's old ethic at 2:38: "We might lose some of the pop kids, but we don't need them."
YouTube - U2 - Zoo TV - Opening Night (1992)

It's almost like the band would prize Vertigo over The Fly. In fact Bono said in a 2005 interview with Rolling Stone that he thinks ATYCLB and HTDAAB might have better songs than Achtung Baby, but he only favors the latter for its thematic cohesiveness; is he bonkers?

Bono and Edge are right in that if music is truly, truly great, it will rise to the surface, and be heard blaring from car windows, from nightclubs, and college kids' stereos. The hit single isn't dead -- if anything, this is the golden age of the hit single. And U2 still want to be relevant and still want to be big. They always have been. And they still ARE: NLOTH opened up at number 1 in the US, in the UK, and I'm sure nearly everywhere else around the globe. The Killers' last album is ridiculously good; Bono is absolutely right.

I think part of the problem with U2 is that Bono's political work is really, really hard to line up with the band's schedule. Bono does a LOT of non-U2 work, and the band really stretches to let him do it. In the old days, they'd go into the studio every couple years, bear down, focus, and cut an album. Now, it's 4 years between albums (at least), and when the band gets into the studio, there's this sort of musical diarrhea at the beginning, where every band member shows up with buckets of song ideas and ingredients. So it takes a LONG, long time to sift through all the rough drafts, and figure out what works. As Eno points out, a lot of valuable rough drafts get tossed to the wayside. I realize that U2 is middle-aged and have families and busy lives, but I think the music would be even better if they made albums more frequently.

Hopefully, that's what the band realizes, and they truly *will* record a Zooropa-like follow up album, quickly, this summer.

I think it's about degrees. Achtung Baby's "Mysterious Ways" and "Even Better Than The Real Thing" might have been attempts at a hit singles, but they were so different from everything on the airwaves. They were still great pieces of music and not obnoxious at all. They could have been so much more mainstream and lame to appeal to a wider demographic, but the art was able to survive the vetting process of the charts. The Fly didn't, but it's not at all a lesser song. My fear is that, while old U2 understood this, the new U2 doesn't.

This sums up U2's old ethic at 2:38: "We might lose some of the pop kids, but we don't need them."
YouTube - U2 - Zoo TV - Opening Night (1992)

It's almost like the band would prize Vertigo over The Fly. In fact Bono said in a 2005 interview with Rolling Stone that he thinks ATYCLB and HTDAAB might have better songs than Achtung Baby, but he only favors the latter for its thematic cohesiveness; is he bonkers?

Aargh! :doh:

I agree with what you have said. Remember with Pop, how Bono was talking about pushing to see how exotic of stuff they could get played on the radio? I fear he just wouldn't say that now. He still wanted to get U2 on the radio, but on their own terms. Now it seems like they get timid and back off.

I like NLOTH, and it is a step in the right direction, but I think U2 will never go back to the attitude of just writing a song that sounds awesome and releasing it because it's awesome - without considering whether it could get played on the radio. I mean, doesn't Bono love songs that never got played on the radio?

but I think U2 will never go back to the attitude of just writing a song that sounds awesome and releasing it because it's awesome - without considering whether it could get played on the radio. I mean, doesn't Bono love songs that never got played on the radio?

What about MOS, Unknown caller, Fez - Being Born, White as snow, NLOTH, COL? U2 does a mix of singles and "album only" cuts every album. Of course if you think those songs I listed suck then that's your opinion. :sexywink:

This is depressing to read, knowing that there's a less overcooked version of Stand Up Comedy somewhere (I can't see how it could be worse than what we got), and that Bono's still on this 45 bullshit. We get it, you did this with the last two albums, give it a fucking rest. The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby didn't focus on hit songs--guess what, each album had a handful of successful singles! Focus on the fucking MUSIC, not on the audience.

I agree JT didn't focus on hits, despite having some very successful songs. That said, WOWY was one of those slow love songs that tend to do very well on the charts. Little wonder it was the first single.

However, I do feel that AB was more hit-oriented. Songs like MW, "One", "Even Better Than..." are very catchy and perfect for radio. In fact, I think that this makes it one of U2's most accessible albums. The darker nature of some songs allows AB to be a great album - but the darker side is also something everyone has experienced ("love", "lost love", "broken love", etc.), which, in turn, still makes the album accessible.

And, having heard NLOTH, it's easy to see that U2 have focused on the "f*cking music". This is not that accessible of an album. But there's still potential big songs on it. So why not work on that potential single as well as the album tracks?

The best part is that "Winter" was still made available to us, albeit in a different form. But even if "Winter" was this absolute great track, U2 still might have left it off the album. Look at all of the "Mercy" discussions. Many fans adore this song and feel it's perfect as is - yet we still haven't seen it released.

Those Achtung singles were catchy as all hell, but good lord they were like a lightning bolt on the radio. That might be hard to see if you are looking at it only in hindsight, but that really was the case. I had already owned Rattle & Hum and really enjoyed it, but it was the sound of the Fly that just slapped me right across the face and totally sold me on U2. And I actually specifically remember that Mysterious Ways was a single at the same time as Peter Gabriel’s Digging in the Dirt, and both of them sounded like a shot from the future. If you ever caught them back to back it was like you’d tuned into another world for 10 minutes, then you’d go back to whatever regular cock rock/cheap pop of the day, brought straight back to earth. As I got older and more into music beyond commercial radio (I was 14 when Achtung was released) I realised that the sound of Achtung and even Zooropa was not all that unique or fresh in the greater scheme of things, but on those radio stations and those music channels at that time? Absolutely. There’s no way - no fucking way – songs like Vertigo or Crazy Tonight are doing that for anyone anywhere.

Both Bono and Eno are each to a degree correct. I’d actually hate to see U2 give up their attempts to push their music into the charts, because everyone is right, they’ve always done it, always been desperate to have it, and up until Pop, when they did it, it was always electrifying. New. Different. Unique. Brave. Post-pop, they’re playing the game by its most basic, generic rules. That’s where they’ve gone wrong. And as Eno points out and as I’ve been saying – if it’s taking you 16 months to hammer out something like Crazy Tonight, take a hint. Sure, it’s catchy and fun and would likely get great radio play, but no-one will be talking about that one in 10 years. It has an incredibly short shelf life. Crazy Tonight’s popularity is peaking right now. And that 7 minute futuristic gospel/soul song you knocked up in an afternoon? There’s the track that will only grow in stature from now. Take a hint.

But then, it's 2009. The middle ground is gone. If you're going to be guided by singles, you're going to have to create crap. The flipside is you give not a care in the world for singles. There is no middle ground as unfortunately, the idea of a truly great song rising to the top is completely dead and buried. I suspect they are well aware of that and have made their choice, and that's why in just over 10 years we went from The Fly to Vertigo.

So we could consider this early version of SUC an entire different song... it has different lyrics and melody. Maybe something to be considered for Songs of Ascent?

To make another point about who is/isn’t right and wrong here: It’s neither. Remember Eno would have dumped Streets, but Bono gets you Stand Up Comedy. So they’re both a very high risk to fuck it up, and really it’s about that judgment in the middle. I’d suggest using a different middle man next time. I think it’s time to put Lillywhite out to pasture.

To make another point about who is/isn’t right and wrong here: It’s neither. Remember Eno would have dumped Streets, but Bono gets you Stand Up Comedy. So they’re both a very high risk to fuck it up, and really it’s about that judgment in the middle. I’d suggest using a different middle man next time. I think it’s time to put Lillywhite out to pasture.

In other words:

BRING! FLOOD! BACK! :wink:

I like SUC a lot though. :reject:

To make another point about who is/isn’t right and wrong here: It’s neither. Remember Eno would have dumped Streets, but Bono gets you Stand Up Comedy. So they’re both a very high risk to fuck it up, and really it’s about that judgment in the middle.
That's not actually correct. Eno says quite clearly on the "Making of The Joshua Tree DVD" that he wanted to start again from scratch because they had spent months on the song and he felt they were stuck. He didn't dislike the song, but wanted to approach it from a new perspective. The old Bono was much more gutsy. The new Bono doesn't realize that radio is much less forgiving than it used to be.

Those Achtung singles were catchy as all hell, but good lord they were like a lightning bolt on the radio. That might be hard to see if you are looking at it only in hindsight, but that really was the case. I had already owned Rattle & Hum and really enjoyed it, but it was the sound of the Fly that just slapped me right across the face and totally sold me on U2. And I actually specifically remember that Mysterious Ways was a single at the same time as Peter Gabriel’s Digging in the Dirt, and both of them sounded like a shot from the future. If you ever caught them back to back it was like you’d tuned into another world for 10 minutes, then you’d go back to whatever regular cock rock/cheap pop of the day, brought straight back to earth. As I got older and more into music beyond commercial radio (I was 14 when Achtung was released) I realised that the sound of Achtung and even Zooropa was not all that unique or fresh in the greater scheme of things, but on those radio stations and those music channels at that time? Absolutely. There’s no way - no fucking way – songs like Vertigo or Crazy Tonight are doing that for anyone anywhere.

Both Bono and Eno are each to a degree correct. I’d actually hate to see U2 give up their attempts to push their music into the charts, because everyone is right, they’ve always done it, always been desperate to have it, and up until Pop, when they did it, it was always electrifying. New. Different. Unique. Brave. Post-pop, they’re playing the game by its most basic, generic rules. That’s where they’ve gone wrong. And as Eno points out and as I’ve been saying – if it’s taking you 16 months to hammer out something like Crazy Tonight, take a hint. Sure, it’s catchy and fun and would likely get great radio play, but no-one will be talking about that one in 10 years. It has an incredibly short shelf life. Crazy Tonight’s popularity is peaking right now. And that 7 minute futuristic gospel/soul song you knocked up in an afternoon? There’s the track that will only grow in stature from now. Take a hint.

But then, it's 2009. The middle ground is gone. If you're going to be guided by singles, you're going to have to create crap. The flipside is you give not a care in the world for singles. There is no middle ground as unfortunately, the idea of a truly great song rising to the top is completely dead and buried. I suspect they are well aware of that and have made their choice, and that's why in just over 10 years we went from The Fly to Vertigo.

To be fair, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses wasn't the lightning bolt that The Fly or Mysterious Ways were either, but it was a catchy single and it was on the same album.

I agree JT didn't focus on hits, despite having some very successful songs. That said, WOWY was one of those slow love songs that tend to do very well on the charts. Little wonder it was the first single.

However, I do feel that AB was more hit-oriented. Songs like MW, "One", "Even Better Than..." are very catchy and perfect for radio. In fact, I think that this makes it one of U2's most accessible albums. The darker nature of some songs allows AB to be a great album - but the darker side is also something everyone has experienced ("love", "lost love", "broken love", etc.), which, in turn, still makes the album accessible.

And, having heard NLOTH, it's easy to see that U2 have focused on the "f*cking music". This is not that accessible of an album. But there's still potential big songs on it. So why not work on that potential single as well as the album tracks?

The best part is that "Winter" was still made available to us, albeit in a different form. But even if "Winter" was this absolute great track, U2 still might have left it off the album. Look at all of the "Mercy" discussions. Many fans adore this song and feel it's perfect as is - yet we still haven't seen it released.
I don't know if that's quite accurate. As Bono writes "With Or Without You" was a very odd sounding piece of music. It doesn't sound very '80s. It's nothing like Rick Astley or even INXS or whatever. It's a very subtle piece of music. Now, all U2 singles feel they have to be very obvious and simple and quite formulaic -- both melodically and lyrically -- to suit the radio. As radio has worsened, so has U2 music dumbed down.

"One" did well on the radio, DESPITE it being a great piece of music; it's not obvious at all and has wonderful keyboard moments that really heighten it. "Mysterious Ways" has a brilliant bridge that's dense with keyboard and heavy bassy sounds. It's slightly more commercial than the other stuff, but not overly so. It's about degrees. A line has been crossed this past decade. I would even argue that "Staring at the Sun" was a bit too commercial and simple; good but not great.

Also, darker themes just don't do well unless they're really expressed in the cheesiest ways. Hence, modern emo like My Chemical Romance, etc. Really dark stuff like some of Radiohead's best hasn't done as well; you'd have to go back to OK Computer to find a successful Radiohead video and even those numbers probably aren't good enough for U2. Still, "No Surprises" is not a popular lyric with the mainstream.

I was just listening to the podcast of Larry chatting with another Larry. According to Mr. Mullen, Beautiful Day and Where The Streets Have No Name weren't hits, but only became staples because they were loved by the audience. What? Yeah, Larry, that's why I see the Streets music video all the time and hear it on the radio. U2 is in denial and keeps insisting that they're not compromising their music to appeal to the mainstream, but, based on this article and others, the band obviously is.

Or here's another thought. Why not just dumb down the single version of a song. Streets is not nearly as good to me without the long organ intro; it's so beautiful and not '80sish at all. The single is a disappointment to me, but I don't mind because it gets to the point enough for the mainstream and the album cut is just perfect. So, we all win!

The Cure did that all the time. "Pictures of You" and "Love Song" and "Lullaby" as single versions used more obvious 80s sounding drums; "Pictures of You" itself was cut down from over 7 to 4 minutes and made more "catchy". It's reasonably well known in the mainstream. My cousin even had it during his wedding and I seriously doubt he's a Cure fan; he just liked the song. The album versions are more subtle and I much prefer them.

Why not just do this? Dumb down the single, preserve the artistic integrity on the album?

Muldfeld, do you really think Fez-Being Born or Moment Of Surrender or White As Snow or Cedars Of Lebanon or even Unknown Caller or the title track were made to be hits? There's only a few songs on NLOTH that sound like they were designed to be radio hits.

I don't like the idea of U2 dumbing down their music any more than anyone else does, but I think you can only really make that argument for Bomb.

ATYCLB was a different style from what they had been doing in the 90s, for sure, and I definitely think all three 90s albums are better, but Beautiful Day wasn't dumbing anything down, it was just a return to an anthemic style and a return to guitar chiming. It isn't any more "dumbed down" than Pride(In The Name Of Love) or Desire were. U2's forays into pop music may not be everyone's cup of tea, but Stuck In A Moment is catchy song and one of the best pop songs they've ever written. I actually love Kite, In A Little While, and When I Look At The World a lot too. You can put Kite in a setlist between All I Want Is You and One Tree Hill and it fits perfectly, there's no loss of quality. In A Little While is a soulful pop song, especially the live versions on the Elevation Tour. It has a really great rhythm. When I Look At The World has some Eno soundscapes in and one of Edge's best moments of the decade with its minisolo, and the lyrics are some of my favorite recent U2 lyrics as well. And don't forget that the brilliant The Ground Beneath Her Feet was the bonus track outside of the US.

As for NLOTH, the title track and Fez-Being Born have more adventurous spirit in them than perhaps anything U2 have done since Pop. Moment Of Surrender is one of the best songs they've done this decade and one of Bono's best vocals in nearly two decades. White As Snow is beautiful. Breathe is perhaps one of the two or three best rock songs the band has done this decade. And Cedars Of Lebanon is a great atmospheric closer(though I can't put it in the same category as Love Is Blindness or Wake Up Dead Man). I don't yet think this album is in their top 5, but it's a lot closer than Bomb.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, U2 need to shed their "niceness". I think after 9/11, for some reason the band got in into their heads that from now on their music is meant to save people, to stop people from being depressed. And this whole new "savior complex" was born. So on an album like NLOTH, we have the obligatory savior tracks, as in CT, GOYB, SUC and Breathe. Songs in which were told to stand up and fight and not worry because our love is going to conquer all. U2 were never this cheesy. During the 80's Bono only saved this shit for his on stage speeches, but the songs didn't display any desire to save humanity, it simply just depicted the times. I think Walk On's association with 9/11 brought this all on. It's like U2 can't release an album unless they put the token savior songs somewhere on the record. Once they get over this shit then we can start to hear some really great U2 again. Luckily, I can hear greatness in more than half of NLOTH. It's when Bono starts preaching to me to stand up and sing my heart out that i start to cringe. Maybe it's just a personal preference, but I don't need someone telling me how i should feel, i'd rather be given a glimpse into how the ARTIST is feeling. That's what art is supposed to be anyway.

It begins with fingerpicked, chiming acoustic guitar and falsetto backing vocals, and once Bono hits a key line - "Summer sings in me no more" - Eno's dramatic strings kick in. "Listening to the silence, the deaf and dumb roar of white noise/your voice", Bono sings at one point, followed by a choral chant. "Beautiful, isn't it? They're bonkers to leave it off," Eno says with real sadness, as the tune winds up with soaring, dissonant strings -

Does this sound like the mix we've heard?

Back
Top Bottom