Everything Great about SOI Era

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
24g0she.gif

Gone are the good ol' days of musical snobbery. Adele wouldn't have had a chance on a U2 message board in the 80s or 90s.

This coming from a Katy Perry fan? Ha!

For fucksakes... Yes, music snobbery died with the 90's. Good music can be found everywhere despite genre or popularity. The anti-hero is dead.

Listen to some hip hop, some pop, some old school country, listen to some electronic music, old rock, punk, just think for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Are you Dutch??

The response I was looking for would have been "Dutch Hater"!

Of course if you haven't seen Austin Powers 2 this wouldn't make any sense...so... ;)

I loved the reference! Even if no else got it or even laughed if they did, I'll
just let you know that was some brilliant movie quoting. :up:

Are you Dutch??

The response I was looking for would have been "Dutch Hater"!

Of course if you haven't seen Austin Powers 2 this wouldn't make any sense...so... ;)

Yeah but I totally forgot about that movie, of course. :lol:

You're making me quote Taylor Swift again aren't ya? :wink:

giphy.gif

While you go punch him, I'll roll one up for us to split, no worries :D

Adele has the creepiest lyrics in her songs.

Exhibit A, "Someone Like You", aka most stalker-ish song I've ever heard:

We broke up long enough ago that you've met someone else and married them, "but for me, it isn't oooverrrrr". So I'm gonna show up unannounced and uninvited on your doorstep (at the house you presumably live in now with your new wife) and after having waited years to spill out my hea - wait a sec, never mind. Instead I'll just find a carbon copy of you and project all these emotions onto this poor unwitting sap. This plan cannot fail. All the best to you and your new wife!

:hi5: Teamwork!

I get your point that Someone Like You sounds like a complete stalker, but yeah, the lyrics work as well if you're having a hard time getting over someone. I don't take the lyrics literal, as if she's planning on doing it, but more that they are the thoughts in her head. Things she wants to do but knows she shouldn't. Thus she's going to find someone like the person she can't forget, someone she can have the same feelings for and thus help her forget the other person, so she can live on happily ever after with the new person. It's more pain and inability to forget than stalker for me. But that might be personal. :wink:

Yeah but I totally forgot about that movie, of course. :lol:

You're making me quote Taylor Swift again aren't ya? :wink:

giphy.gif

I get your point that Someone Like You sounds like a complete stalker, but yeah, the lyrics work as well if you're having a hard time getting over someone. I don't take the lyrics literal, as if she's planning on doing it, but more that they are the thoughts in her head. Things she wants to do but knows she shouldn't. Thus she's going to find someone like the person she can't forget, someone she can have the same feelings for and thus help her forget the other person, so she can live on happily ever after with the new person. It's more pain and inability to forget than stalker for me. But that might be personal. :wink:

stalkering + repeating the same mistake = Someone Like you

I like my interpretation better. More laffs :wink:

The best thing about the SOI era so far for me has been SOI the album. I love it. Invisible, Reach Me and California are spectacular songs.

Baaaa

H1EAcTyaa9-4.png

I still listen to SOI a full six months after release. By this time I was convinced NLOTH was utter shat and HTDAAB was played out completely for me (and I was convinced it was utter shat not long after). To me, that's really saying something cause I never listen to music six months after I've heard it for the first time as much as I do SOI.

I still listen to SOI a full six months after release. By this time I was convinced NLOTH was utter shat and HTDAAB was played out completely for me (and I was convinced it was utter shat not long after). To me, that's really saying something cause I never listen to music six months after I've heard it for the first time as much as I do SOI.

No wonder. The album is simply BRILLIANT! :heart:

I love SOI. I still think it's their most complete album since Achtung Baby. I listened to it A LOT when it first came out. I've taken a break from listening to it since December. This way, the next time I start listening to it again, it will sound fresh and new. :wink:

I feel the same, kind of. As a whole, NLOTH stopped working for me after a while. I'd revisit it off and on, but there were songs I just completely skipped. Bomb, while I had initial love for it, I just stopped listening to it all together. In another thread I mentioned I listened to Songs... the other evening from start to finish.. And what, almost 6 months later I still like it. The production is just perfect and the songs flow so well.

Bono probably impressed me most on this record--specifically, his lyrics were on point and thoughtful. What kinda bothered me about U2's previous couple of albums was the fact that some songs didn't really know what they wanted to be (other than adhere very generally to a basic guideline of "be uplifting!" or what have you). I mean, I get that his lyrics can be intentionally vague so as to be more open for interpretation, but he seemed to rely a bit too heavily on that philosophy for the past decade or so. And, aside from the occasional rough patch, his vocal delivery sounded very fluid--a little more youthful and, I dunno... jaunty? (sure, let's go with "jaunty")

1. California

2. The Crystal Ballroom (sorta)

3. The tour (probably)

Bono probably impressed me most on this record--specifically, his lyrics were on point and thoughtful. What kinda bothered me about U2's previous couple of albums was the fact that some songs didn't really know what they wanted to be (other than adhere very generally to a basic guideline of "be uplifting!" or what have you). I mean, I get that his lyrics can be intentionally vague so as to be more open for interpretation, but he seemed to rely a bit too heavily on that philosophy for the past decade or so. And, aside from the occasional rough patch, his vocal delivery sounded very fluid--a little more youthful and, I dunno... jaunty? (sure, let's go with "jaunty")

^This. Best album lyrically since Achtung Baby, hands down.

Add me to the list of those who have yet to get tired of this album. I have not listened to a new U2 album this much since Zooropa was released.

I've seen for myself, there's no end to grief
That's how I know
And why I need to know
That there is no end to love

2. creepy synths on Troubles

3. This is Where You Can Reach Me Now, esp. the flawless pronunciation of the word soldier, which makes me happy every the time.

4. Adam, Adam, and Adam.

5. This.
18402855962_bd5976de27_b.jpg

Commitment. The band, particularly Bono, sounds committed to the music again. That's my favorite thing about this era.

Commitment. The band, particularly Bono, sounds committed to the music again. That's my favorite thing about this era.

True. Even though they're saying some negative things about the album, it's mostly aimed at the production and not the songs themselves. If the passionate live performances and their eagerness to play new songs (12 so far, vs. 7 on all of 360 if we exclude the unreleased stuff) on tour is any indication, they love the new music. Even most concert reviews call out the new songs as highlight.

Back
Top Bottom