[Entertainment News] Edge says new U2 album sounds different

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super Yo

New Yorker
Edge says new U2 album sounds different - UPI.com

Edge says new U2 album sounds different

LONDON, Dec. 21 (UPI) -- U2 guitarist, The Edge, says the Irish rock band's newest album, "No Line on the Horizon," offers a different musical approach.

The guitarist, whose real name is David Howell Evans, said that while the group's 12th studio album will remind fans of the band's usual sound, it also will plow new ground, the BBC reported Friday.

"It sounds like a U2 album but it doesn't sound like anything we've done before and it doesn't really sound like anything that's happening at the moment," Evans said of "Horizon," which has been scheduled for a March 2009 release.

Evans also said the album, U2's first since 2004's "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," features two distinctive parts.

The guitarist said the rockers used their regular musical collaborators, Brian Eno and Danny Lanois, on only half the album's tracks, the BBC reported.

"It's a record of two halves," Evans said. "One half is songs that came virtually fully-formed out of sessions we did with Brian and Danny."

"Then the other half is material we've kicked around a while and went through the usual cycle of versions and incarnations."

thanks for posting... seems like a re-hash of a few old interviews.

Looks like they are making assumptions though, saying that Brian and Danny only worked on half the album... very different to the edge quote that they came out fully formed with brian and danny around.

Thanks for that, and apparently the name of the album is simply Horizon. :wink:

Gee Edge has been doing a lot of interviews on the new album. :wink:

Edge says new U2 album sounds different - UPI.com

Edge says new U2 album sounds different

LONDON, Dec. 21 (UPI) -- U2 guitarist, The Edge, says the Irish rock band's newest album, "No Line on the Horizon," offers a different musical approach.

The guitarist, whose real name is David Howell Evans, said that while the group's 12th studio album will remind fans of the band's usual sound, it also will plow new ground, the BBC reported Friday.

"It sounds like a U2 album but it doesn't sound like anything we've done before and it doesn't really sound like anything that's happening at the moment," Evans said of "Horizon," which has been scheduled for a March 2009 release.

Evans also said the album, U2's first since 2004's "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," features two distinctive parts.

The guitarist said the rockers used their regular musical collaborators, Brian Eno and Danny Lanois, on only half the album's tracks, the BBC reported.

"It's a record of two halves," Evans said. "One half is songs that came virtually fully-formed out of sessions we did with Brian and Danny."

"Then the other half is material we've kicked around a while and went through the usual cycle of versions and incarnations."
That sounds very interesting. Why not have them work with U2 on the more practiced songs, though? I'm a bit worried U2 are doing a cautious approach with more commercial stuff.

U2 NEVER sounded like U2 until 2000. I don't know where they got the idea that they have to sound like older albums.

The Joshua Tree didn't really sound like what came before -- except an evolution of the Unforgettable Fire guitar sounds. More importantly, Achtung Baby didn't sound at all like previous U2 records. Same with Pop. So, this idea of Edge's that U2 always will sound like U2 seems preposterous to me and shows a real lack of courage and imagination at some level. U2 remade themselves before and can really do it again!

Am I the only one that didn't know Edge's middle name was Howell????

What the hell is the point of including his middle name anyway? Sounds weird to me.

People need to know. Why's he trying to hide his middle name unless he's a potential Arab/terrorist.

I'm kidding of course. (Reference to "Barack Hussein Obama")

thanks for posting... seems like a re-hash of a few old interviews.

Looks like they are making assumptions though, saying that Brian and Danny only worked on half the album... very different to the edge quote that they came out fully formed with brian and danny around.

Well, there was that quote from Daniel Lanois in October about mixing half the album, remember? It may well be true!

That sounds very interesting. Why not have them work with U2 on the more practiced songs, though? I'm a bit worried U2 are doing a cautious approach with more commercial stuff.

U2 NEVER sounded like U2 until 2000. I don't know where they got the idea that they have to sound like older albums.

The Joshua Tree didn't really sound like what came before -- except an evolution of the Unforgettable Fire guitar sounds. More importantly, Achtung Baby didn't sound at all like previous U2 records. Same with Pop. So, this idea of Edge's that U2 always will sound like U2 seems preposterous to me and shows a real lack of courage and imagination at some level. U2 remade themselves before and can really do it again!

I think Edge is referring more to the feeling of the songs. No matter what record, or what era, you can tell a U2 song. It's edge's guitar, and bonos voice. You will always be able to tell. No matter what style

I think Edge is referring more to the feeling of the songs. No matter what record, or what era, you can tell a U2 song. It's edge's guitar, and bonos voice. You will always be able to tell. No matter what style

My mum picked up on this when we watched the Chicago DVD. It's a signature sound, that always seems to hover...Not a bad thing.

^ great thing. the best bands are instantly recognisable. Beatles, Stones, all instantly recognisable. Edge is probably the most recognisable guitarist around

Back
Top Bottom