Eno / Rubin Comments in March issue of Q Mag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cg

The Fly
Sorry if this has been posted already ...

The newest Q mag has a huge feature on the history of U2. There are a couple interviews with Brian Eno and Rick Rubin. Kind of interesting. Eno discusses his "falling out" with U2 after ATYCLB and Rubin talks a bit about what it was like working with U2 at Abbey Road. He saw the Abbey Road session as sort of testing out what making an album would be like and says "I think it'll be great."

There are a couple of scans of these particular interviews if you click here.

Edge says the band was attracted to working with Rubin because "he's absolutely transparent as a creative presence, but his recordings still have a philosophical similarity of trying to get to the pure thing."

Maybe (definitely) I am just a dork - but the article got me psyched!

I found it pretty interesting, too. I had no idea there had been a "cooling off" of the relationship with Eno over song credits on ATYCLB.

As far as Rick Rubin, it sounds like both he and the band are enjoying working together and really admire each other. That's good, but you just never know what's going to happen during the process. I love WITS, though, and I'd love if the album went more in that direction.

At any rate, I trust the band and I hope they can find the right producer to help them bring out the songs they are trying to create. Does that even make sense? lol!

The Eno "fall out" makes sense in the context of the article when Eno says he wasn't as directly involved with the creation of ATYLCB and mainly helped by provoking the band. When the band writes the ATYCLB credits, they remember their own work on the songs, and don't recall Eno's early-morning stuff.

Considering no money was involved, it's only an oversight.

Well, considering that Eno and U2 have had a relationship for more than 2 decades, it surprises me to see dirty laundry being aired.

Taken "in the context" of the things Paul McGuinness says about Eno in the U2 by U2 book, there definitely seemed to be some financial and songwriting credit disagreements with Eno ...

cg said:
Well, considering that Eno and U2 have had a relationship for more than 2 decades, it surprises me to see dirty laundry being aired.

Taken "in the context" of the things Paul McGuinness says about Eno in the U2 by U2 book, there definitely seemed to be some financial and songwriting credit disagreements with Eno ...

that's true....I guess I just have mixed feelings about Eno to begin with, so it's easy for me to think he's being petty about it. I kind of hate to see it in this article (or series of articles, I guess) which is supposedly celebrating the 20th anniv. of JT. It seems like there must have been a lot of positive things he could have said.

On the other hand, there's no overestimating the influence he has had on the band over the years. Without him, U2 may not be the band they are today, for better or worse. :shrug:

The Eno credits on "ATYCLB" are no different that the credit's he was given for "UF", "JT", "AB" and "Zooropa." They're all production and performance credits.

Here's what Eno says in the article, when asked if there had been a "falling out" with u2:

"We didn't really fall out, but I was quite upset when All That You Can't Leave Behind came out and on the credits under each song it said "Music by u2" without mentioning that I'd made a contribution. I wasn't asking for more money. But credits, man, it doesn't cost you anything. But anyway, that was all a long time ago and I've forgotten about it now."

...but he didn't forget to mention it in an interview published in a major publication.

Then again, if it doesn't bother U2 that he talked about it in the interview, then the mention shouldn't matter to anyone.

love2bmama said:
Here's what Eno says in the article, when asked if there had been a "falling out" with u2:

"We didn't really fall out, but I was quite upset when All That You Can't Leave Behind came out and on the credits under each song it said "Music by u2" without mentioning that I'd made a contribution. I wasn't asking for more money. But credits, man, it doesn't cost you anything. But anyway, that was all a long time ago and I've forgotten about it now."

If he did get screwed over by them I can see where he would be pissed off. The problem is no one other than he and the band really know what was agreed to, and now each pretty much has to stick to his/their story. Can I believe a band wouldn't want anyone to think they had help from someone else writing their songs? Yes. Can I believe a producer would like to take a bit more credit that was really due for the songs? Yes.

So it could easily be either way. But we'll never know for sure. :shrug:

:huh:
It does say "music by U2", but Eno got credit on synthesizers on plenty of songs on ATYCLB, not to mention production on all of the songs, plus mixing on Grace.

without looking back at the cd liners, it seems to me that the vast majority of u2's songs say just that "music by u2". That's what's weird about Eno's comment, because if he didn't complain about not getting songwriting credit before, why complain now?

However, what he said may be totally taken out of context anyway, so there really is no way to know.

U2girl said:
:huh:
It does say "music by U2", but Eno got credit on synthesizers on plenty of songs on ATYCLB, not to mention production on all of the songs, plus mixing on Grace.

If they were working on a song in the studio and he said "hmm, what about adding this to this song?" and played a new bit on a synth and the band decided to use it, I would figure he should get a songwriting credit for that.

If the band had the entire song ready and he played the piece they had written as it was written, then he should only get credit for being a musician.

love2bmama said:
without looking back at the cd liners, it seems to me that the vast majority of u2's songs say just that "music by u2". That's what's weird about Eno's comment, because if he didn't complain about not getting songwriting credit before, why complain now?

However, what he said may be totally taken out of context anyway, so there really is no way to know.

Perhaps he only did some of the writing recently. Or he could have finally gotten irritated at being consistantly snubbed and brought it up this time. It's not all that unusual for a producer to get songwriting credit on a couple of songs on an album.

love2bmama said:
ATYCLB was the 1st album with Eno after Passengers. Perhaps he wanted to be credited like he was on Original soundtracks.
It's normal.

------

I love this line : "I don't want it to sound like a band. I'm never very happy when i get the picture of four people playing their instruments in my head"

:bono: : "All That You Can't Leave Behind" is really just about getting to the heart and the soul of what our band is about, which is four of us playing in a room together.

indra said:

If they were working on a song in the studio and he said "hmm, what about adding this to this song?" and played a new bit on a synth and the band decided to use it, I would figure he should get a songwriting credit for that.

If the band had the entire song ready and he played the piece they had written as it was written, then he should only get credit for being a musician.

:shrug: He gets synth credit on several songs on ATYCLB. If he contributed something major to any of the songs, yes he should be credited. (if it's beyond production duties or playing a synth part, that is)

It's surprising that after UF, Zooropa, JT and AB there were no such issues. What was so different on ATYCLB?

I was always under the impression that Eno and Lanois cobbled Beautiful Day together from Always. It's very much a studio-concocted song, just looped parts and awkward edits (ever listen to how cold that bridge comes in? that's not a performance). If he was that crucial to the making of that song, he probably should get credit - a lot was hanging in the balance on that "comeback" single.

I didn't know about this so-called fallout. Too bad. Those kinds of things always undermine the music and make everyone look stupid.

I find it interesting, however, that Eno is listed ahead of Daniel Lanois for the "additional production" credits on HTDAAB. I always assumed that Lanois had the bigger role after Chris Thomas left.

And, now, Eno is producing Coldplay :hmm:

My bet is thats all just a made up story that was agreed by the band members and Eno, to cover up the real reason they fell out.

It was clear to me that there was something up with the their relationship from reading the things they all say about him in U2 by U2.

jimjam said:
My bet is thats all just a made up story that was agreed by the band members and Eno, to cover up the real reason they fell out.

It was clear to me that there was something up with the their relationship from reading the things they all say about him in U2 by U2.

Actually I think the things they say in U2 by U2 totally sync up with Eno's comments here. Basically Eno feels he has played a larger part in songwriting than he has been given credit for.

In the book, McGuinness refers to that, and even says there can never be a situation where Brian makes more money than any member of the band.

Of course, now Eno is claiming it is "about the credits, man" and not the money. But it is the same issue - songwriting ...

I never knew eno wrote any material for the band, i thought it was edge/Bono entirely.

:| Anyone noticed the notes on the next album release date in the last paragraph from the page with Rubin's comments ? 2009?!?

vaz02 said:
I never knew eno wrote any material for the band, i thought it was edge/Bono entirely.

I don't think u2 thinks he wrote anything for them, either, hence the problem. Why he couldn't just be happy with the credits he did get is beyond me, surely he's made a ton of $$ through his work with u2 over the years. This just seems to me like he's wanting a bigger and bigger piece of the pie and the band (w/Paul) finally said enough is enough.

If Eno is unhappy about the credits, what about Lanois? From what I read, he spends way more time in the studio with the band than Eno when they make an album.

vaz02 said:

I think it's not about writing FOR them, but writing WITH them - and as has been pointed out by others in this thread, there surely is a fine line between being a producer, spurring creativity, coming up with ideas, and being one of the actual songwriters.

love2bmama said:

Why he couldn't just be happy with the credits he did get is beyond me, surely he's made a ton of $$ through his work with u2 over the years.

Maybe because he did more than he was credited with? Would you be happy if someone you worked with just took credit for what you did on a project? If he deserves a writing credit (and none of us will ever likely know if he does or not) then he deserves a writing credit, no matter how much he is paid for or given credit for other things he did.

One could also ask why U2 is so afraid of giving such credit where it is due (if it is indeed due)? If Eno did help with writing the songs on this album, perhaps U2 feared people would think they were slipping because they could no longer write their own songs themselves.

Eno did say it wasn't about money and I know I understand that feeling. Hell one of the reason I left a job was that my boss took all the credit for the ideas I came up with. Most people want to what they do to be acknowledged. I doubt Eno is any different.

He states he provided provocative starting points, not songs. The credits would be very long if every song had an explanation how it started out. (and the band had no problem giving him bigger credits on Passengers) Interesting he mentiones money...

The band's used "Music by U2" credits for years as well as "Lyrics by Bono" and I don't see anyone in the band complaining on that.

Last edited:
indra said:

Most people want to what they do to be acknowledged. I doubt Eno is any different.

I know what you're saying is true, it's just that like I said above, I have mixed feelings about Eno in the first place and I prefer to live in my little fantasy world of u2-does-no-wrong. :shh: don't shatter my illusions with your logical arguments, will you?

Interesting read. The Eno thing really isn't a big deal. Things like that happen all the time. They've moved on. It's good. The most excited thing in the article is where Eno acknowledges that he will most likely work with U2 again. It's sort of expected, but at the same time nice to hear someone say it. :love: Brian Eno's one of my favorite people in the music industry, by the way. His work it top notch, some of the finest in the business.

Oh, and does anyone have the photo of Eno and the band in the chef outfits?? That's one of the coolest photos I've ever seen. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom