Eno / Rubin Comments in March issue of Q Mag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:
:| Anyone noticed the notes on the next album release date in the last paragraph from the page with Rubin's comments ? 2009?!?

:tsk: :down: This seems like a stretch, but sadly it's not unlikely. Can't they just get the concept of FALL 2007?! It's not *that* much to ask for.

I haven't read the Q article so far, but I so hope U2 will work with Rick Rubin on their new album. With him and not with 10+ different producers. So far I don't think they have started recording, they seem to take a break now, but I hope B is doing some songwriting and the guys are seriously considering releasing an album within the next 1,5 years.

MrBrau1 said:
The Eno credits on "ATYCLB" are no different that the credit's he was given for "UF", "JT", "AB" and "Zooropa." They're all production and performance credits.

I know! What's he whinging about?

:wink:

... I have this sneaking suspicion that if RR produces the next album, it'll be a masterpiece. He's wanted to work with U2 for *SO LONG* that I think he's bound to make a really special record. Look what he did with WITS! It's one of the best U2 tracks ever, IMO.

biff said:

I think ATYCLB is different in one very signicant way. During the making of that record Bono was absent, as we know, a great deal of the time, and was unable to contribute as much to the creative process day to day. I would not be at all surprised that Eno to a larger extent filled that creative gap, and thus did indeed contribute more to the writing on that record.

I think Bono's absence during the HTDAAB sessions is reflected in Larry's criticism of the album, as lacking emotion. Who brings the emotion? It's Bono.

I heard With or Without You had a falling out with U2 due to not getting proper credit in the U218 booklet. He's pretty upset he is listed as a #2 hit when he really went to #1.

Hopefully they can resolve their differences before the next tour.

LyricalDrug said:

I think Bono's absence during the HTDAAB sessions is reflected in Larry's criticism of the album, as lacking emotion. Who brings the emotion? It's Bono.

Where did you come across Larry saying the album lacked emotion? Just curious cause I haven't run across that.

Dana

rihannsu said:

Where did you come across Larry saying the album lacked emotion? Just curious cause I haven't run across that.

Dana

In U2 by U2 Larry says of HTDAAB: "I think it's a really good record, with some great songs. I'm not as emotionally attached to it as I am to All That You Can't Leave Behind. It just doesn't quite hang together as well as that album. It may be to do with the the mix of personalities involved but it seems to be missing that same emotional thread."

2morrow said:
:tsk: :down: This seems like a stretch, but sadly it's not unlikely. Can't they just get the concept of FALL 2007?! It's not *that* much to ask for.

This is getting blatantly absurd. Every other band I follow could start recording an album now and have it out by November. I wouldn't be shocked if some of them got it out by the end of July! And these are a real mix of bands, from different parts of the world playing different genres (everything from pop-rock to death metal), some in their twenties and some as old or older than U2. I cannot comprehend why U2 are so fucking slow. I don't think it can be put down to perfectionism either, as some of the other bands I know who can spit out albums quickly are perfectionists (and frankly produce much better mixed and packaged albums than U2 have for years). I think it's simply a lack of talent and/or a greater passion for living like rockstars than actually being rockstars.

cg said:

In U2 by U2 Larry says of HTDAAB: "I think it's a really good record, with some great songs. I'm not as emotionally attached to it as I am to All That You Can't Leave Behind. It just doesn't quite hang together as well as that album. It may be to do with the the mix of personalities involved but it seems to be missing that same emotional thread."

Ok, but missing the same emotional thread doesn't equate to lacking emotion. ATYCLB had a common emotional thread through the whole album. HTDAAB travels from fear to faith so it runs through a range of emotions. So for him the cohesion isn't there. But that is not the same as lacking emotion. There is a lot of emotion on HTDAAB but it's all over the place not a common grouping like ATYCLB or even AB.

However, I think part of that is because they focused more on individual songs rather than any kind of theme and the arc of fear to faith has to do with the running order that Edge came up with. Bono talked a lot about people not being into albums anymore and with more people downloading individual tracks instead there is more need to focus on song strength rather than album construction so I don't think they really tried to get anything in particular except the best songs out of what they wrote. In the past song selection for the albums was more about how the songs fit together so if HTDAAB lacks in this regard it is more than likely because they didn't try for it.

Dana

Axver said:

This is getting blatantly absurd. Every other band I follow could start recording an album now and have it out by November. I wouldn't be shocked if some of them got it out by the end of July! And these are a real mix of bands, from different parts of the world playing different genres (everything from pop-rock to death metal), some in their twenties and some as old or older than U2. I cannot comprehend why U2 are so fucking slow. I don't think it can be put down to perfectionism either, as some of the other bands I know who can spit out albums quickly are perfectionists (and frankly produce much better mixed and packaged albums than U2 have for years). I think it's simply a lack of talent and/or a greater passion for living like rockstars than actually being rockstars.
Totally agreed!!!:up:

I was originally hoping for an Achtung Baby style album with lots of atmosphere but I think that's wrong now. I think they should just do what they want to do as that usually will yield better music. I'm going to tune out of U2 for a while because there's going to be another Doves album, and the new Arcade Fire album is a bloody masterpiece already. Wow! More please! Radiohead will probably have another album at the end of the year. If U2 comes out with an album this year it will be very crowded especially if Coldplay's new album produced by Brian Eno and Timbaland comes out this year as well.

There's lots of good music out there if people look for it. I recommend Sunset Rubdown's Shut up I am dreaming of places where lovers have wings. Lots of Wall of sound atmosphere going on there.

Axver said:

This is getting blatantly absurd. Every other band I follow could start recording an album now and have it out by November. I wouldn't be shocked if some of them got it out by the end of July! And these are a real mix of bands, from different parts of the world playing different genres (everything from pop-rock to death metal), some in their twenties and some as old or older than U2. I cannot comprehend why U2 are so fucking slow. I don't think it can be put down to perfectionism either, as some of the other bands I know who can spit out albums quickly are perfectionists (and frankly produce much better mixed and packaged albums than U2 have for years).n I think it's simply a lack of talent and/or a greater passion for living like rockstars than actually being rockstars.

everybody is different man. everyone, every band. you cant say u2 are somehow independant of this fact. they have been slower than average in recording the last couple records, yes. but great music has nothing to do with lack of talent, or less passion. these are subjective criteria. come on! have faith in a band that has repeatedly made unbelievalvbly good music. if u2 had the music for an album that they believed in, they would release it. why should you doubt this?

maybe most bands could record an album in the space of time you are thinking of, but whats the point if the musicians themselves dont fully believe in it?

U2 havent written the songs you expect of them yet. give it time. the expectation of what should be is not a refletion of what is... just let it be for fuck's sake. we're talking about creativity here! it doesn't flow like a tap.

this marks the end of my rambling rant...

Why do Eno and U2 'fall out?' Does Eno sometimes feel they are going down 'a path he can't follow' or doesn't approve of? (like Pop?) He's really been a big part of their success and I think they should listen to him!

Read back over the first few pages of the thread - your question is talked about pretty specifically.

rihannsu said:

Ok, but missing the same emotional thread doesn't equate to lacking emotion. ATYCLB had a common emotional thread through the whole album. HTDAAB travels from fear to faith so it runs through a range of emotions. So for him the cohesion isn't there. But that is not the same as lacking emotion. There is a lot of emotion on HTDAAB but it's all over the place not a common grouping like ATYCLB or even AB.

However, I think part of that is because they focused more on individual songs rather than any kind of theme and the arc of fear to faith has to do with the running order that Edge came up with. Bono talked a lot about people not being into albums anymore and with more people downloading individual tracks instead there is more need to focus on song strength rather than album construction so I don't think they really tried to get anything in particular except the best songs out of what they wrote. In the past song selection for the albums was more about how the songs fit together so if HTDAAB lacks in this regard it is more than likely because they didn't try for it.

Dana

For what it is worth, while I think it's fine that Bono used his sales pitch of "fear to faith" as a theme for Bomb, a really great U2 album (for me) has a musical theme as well, not just a lyrical theme. I think it is even more telling what Bono says in U2 by U2 about HTDAAB:

"It's missing sonic cohesion. The number of different producers was always going to be a tricky point because, while each of them did extraordinary work, you have to have a clarity of vision for the sonic archirecture that creates the aesthetic of the whole album. And maybe the running order wasn't right. Maybe I didn't involve myself enough. I've been getting out of the way of the consensus rather than getting in the way of the consensus, which is my usual position. It's my job to disturb the waters."

I totally agree with what he says there. Bono needs to be involved in the studio to a much greater degree than he was for Bomb. Whoever the producer is - I could care less - as long as it is not just Larry, Adam and Edge writing tunes and Bono popping in when he is not busy.

To Axver's point that U2 want to "live like rock stars" rather than "be rock stars" - i think that is unfair. U2 want to live like people. Fathers, husbands, friends. They have earned it. If they want to wait 2 years to make an album and tour again, I'm more than willing to wait.

purpleoscar said:
Coldplay's new album produced by Brian Eno and Timbaland comes out this year as well.

WTF? :lmao: I had no idea they enlisted Timbaland. :lol: I guess we can expect at least three or four club bangers on their next album.

Chris Martin getting down with his bad self :drool:

cg said:

For what it is worth, while I think it's fine that Bono used his sales pitch of "fear to faith" as a theme for Bomb, a really great U2 album (for me) has a musical theme as well, not just a lyrical theme. I think it is even more telling what Bono says in U2 by U2 about HTDAAB:

"It's missing sonic cohesion. The number of different producers was always going to be a tricky point because, while each of them did extraordinary work, you have to have a clarity of vision for the sonic archirecture that creates the aesthetic of the whole album. And maybe the running order wasn't right. Maybe I didn't involve myself enough. I've been getting out of the way of the consensus rather than getting in the way of the consensus, which is my usual position. It's my job to disturb the waters."

While I agree on more Bono in the studio next time, and that they should use 1 producer - the sonic cohesion is better than the albums have been for a long while. The album covers virtuall all U2 phases sonically, and it's dominated - ABOY, AMAAW and LAPOE aside - by Edge's trademark chiming guitar.

Compare this to ATYCLB, where it feels like they're doing a optimistic pop album up to and until song 7 and then someone stepped on a brake and we got to a completely different sound and mood for the rest of the album. Or Pop where they're split between straightforward rock songs, the dance songs and the experimental sounds. Even Zooropa I think was about 50/50 between guitar driven songs and experimental.

I'm also not following Larry's "not emotional" comment. I think it's probably the most personal album they made since AB, in particular for Bono. He adresses the death of his father, his marriage, his daughters, his Africa work on this.

U2girl said:

While I agree on more Bono in the studio next time, and that they should use 1 producer - the sonic cohesion is better than the albums have been for a long while. The album covers virtuall all U2 phases sonically, and it's dominated - ABOY, AMAAW and LAPOE aside - by Edge's trademark chiming guitar.

Compare this to ATYCLB, where it feels like they're doing a optimistic pop album up to and until song 7 and then someone stepped on a brake and we got to a completely different sound and mood for the rest of the album. Or Pop where they're split between straightforward rock songs, the dance songs and the experimental sounds. Even Zooropa I think was about 50/50 between guitar driven songs and experimental.

I'm also not following Larry's "not emotional" comment. I think it's probably the most personal album they made since AB, in particular for Bono. He adresses the death of his father, his marriage, his daughters, his Africa work on this.

wow i really disagree. bomb had absolutely no flow for me sonically. songs 1-7 on ATYCLB flow as well as any album i've ever heard.

not sure how to explain it technically, but pop and zooropa do have cohesion sonically in my mind. regardless of whether the songs are guitar or synth driven, it just sounds like they all fit together on those albums.

bomb is a non-experimental hodge podge of sounds that u2 (and other musicians) have had past success with. i like some of the songs a lot, but i doubt i will ever love listening to the whole album front to end - and that is the only u2 album i would say that about.

cg said:

songs 1-7 on ATYCLB flow as well as any album i've ever heard.

:ohmy:

Stuck--->Elevation--->Walk On?

Worst flow ever. It sounds like 3 crappy singles that have nothing in common back-to-back-to-back.

I wondered why Eno would work with Coldplay.

I like how few mention how Eno got top billing and full instrument credit on Passengers and then back to "producer" on ATYCLB.

It could also be noted that since Pop, edge has been given extra cedit in the liner notes for his lyrical contributions.

u2fp

LemonMelon said:

:ohmy:

Stuck--->Elevation--->Walk On?

Worst flow ever. It sounds like 3 crappy singles that have nothing in common back-to-back-to-back.

no way.
it's all personal preference obviously.
but if you think stuck and walk on are just crappy singles and have nothing in common with each other, then i can't say your opinion really makes any sense to me.

cg said:

no way.
it's all personal preference obviously.
but if you think stuck and walk on are just crappy singles and have nothing in common with each other, then i can't say your opinion really makes any sense to me.

Stuck = plastic soul/gospel
Elevation = weird, fuzzed out pop/rock
Walk On = earnest, piano-driven ballad (with guitars)

Not sure what they have in common. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom