Eno Hated Boots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batfink27

Acrobat
Why didnt they listen to him??.....

U2's guitarist The Edge has said that he is not sure if the band's producer Brian Eno is actually a fan of their music.

Eno has worked with U2 on a number of their albums, including The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, as well as upcoming LP No Line On The Horizon.

Speaking to The Sun, The Edge revealed that Eno did not initially like the band's current single.

He said: "He hated 'Get On Your Boots' at first but eventually got into it.

"He constantly challenged us and took us out of our comfort zone. He's not really a fan of rock music and I'm not sure he's a fan of U2's music."

The Edge added that U2 "love a good argument" and are not afraid of criticism as it means that they can refine their music before it gets heard.

i'm glad Eno came around and that U2 put it on the album. it's a great song that is guilty of being the lead off single.

Eno also thought Winter should have made it on the album so he's not all that he's cracked up to be. :wink:

Am I the only one that still really likes Boots??

No.
I love this damn song. My poor neighbours have to deal with the "let me in the sound" bridge several times a day. :D

And now that I finally have memorized all the words, its a really fun song to sing along to.

It's a good song with a great riff but people probably listened to it 100 times and got bored. When the album came out they wanted to hear other things. Overtime things will settle down because the track order is golden.

And now that I finally have memorized all the words, its a really fun song to sing along to.

It is indeed. :lol:
Btw, you like Boots, you opened the Breathe appreciation thread; I guess you prefer the faster songs, right? :wink:

Boots, like Vertigo before it, won't be able to get a reasonable appraisal from fans for quite a while yet. Even for many of those who like it (like me), it isn't as appealing right now because of the dozens of listens that it has racked up over every single other song. At some point it will be as fresh as the rest, and then it will rightfully be viewed as very fresh indeed (at least that's my prediction :wink:).

Am I the only one that still really likes Boots??

Nope, still love it here, too. :)

From the time of the beach clips, it's the one that most caught my attention. I don't get what people dislike about it so much. It's fun, sonically adventurous, etc. Maybe that it veers off in several directions throughout the song? I'm a big Queen fan too, and they were always doing that in songs. :shrug:

vertigo= sux.

boots= sux.

winter= could've been great.

eno= win.

I don't know what to make of boots. When it first came out i thought it was crap. Some time after that i started to like a little bit more, and in the album it's listenable. But between all those strongs and big songs like UC, Mag or Breathe is somewhat pointless. Even Stand up comedy is much more intersting.

They made three considerable mistakes:

They choose Boots as a first single.
They choose to put that boring version of No line instead the groovy one of the single.
Winter stayed out and Cedars was the finish song.

I think Cedars is a good finisher.

But I think more time should've gone into Winter and then been on the album.

Apart from "Let me in the SOUND", which is great, Boots is a poor song. Eno should have stuck with gut instinct as he has good taste. Like he said, MOS should have been the opening song.

Apart from "Let me in the SOUND", which is great, Boots is a poor song. Eno should have stuck with gut instinct as he has good taste. Like he said, MOS should have been the opening song.

yeah, the more I think about it, i might agree.

it's kind of long though....

I still don't understand why U2 took their worst song ever as their single to promote the album. I think they noticed the negative comments and thats probably why they now start to play Breathe.

Boots is better than Vertigo, but still the worst song on the album. They've had an annoying tendancy from Pop onward of releasing the worst song, and the one least representative of the album as a whole, as the first single (Though Beautiful Day was only second worst song on ATYCLB, Elevation being the worst).

Eno was right. Ditch boots (and SUC too, I'd say) and finish Winter. Make it just a 10 song album, if need be. (Would be interesting to hear Every Breaking Wave too, which Adam has said would have "made the album too long")

I wish U2 would have the courage to not feel they have to have a couple radio-friendly singles for the masses ready to go on each album. The days of the 45 are over anyway, and the concept of singles is really meaningless these days. They're much better and interesting when they stretch themselves and get more experimental, unconventional, and darker - like on Fez-Being Born and Cedars of Lebanon, to mention just the two standouts from this album.

Perhaps I'm just weird. Like Eno, Elvis Presley and America is one of my fave tracks on The Unforgettable Fire! Even as is, I like the unfinished, raw, ad-lib/demo-like quality of Winter. No surprise, I guess, that among my fave U2 "albums" are the 1979 Boy demos and the leaked Achtung Baby demos! :drool:

Boots is a song that grows on you. The problem is as releasing it before the album people think that it is a song that defines the album and that is far from the truth. It is the song that is different from the rest of the album. Truly it is the "Line' on the horizon. It splits the album into two parts the top part being punchier and more commercial, the part after being more experimental

my :twocents:

Back
Top Bottom