Eno Hated Boots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Edge added that U2 "love a good argument" and are not afraid of criticism as it means that they can refine their music before it gets heard.

too little too late, where was the invite for us fans to come and drop some criticism on stuff like Miracle Drug and One Step Closer...or even BOOTS for that matter

:wink:

As I keep reminding - Eno is not God - this is the man that had to be physically held back from deleting Where The Streets Have No Name.

Boots is a cracker - live will be mad - Eno was never a fan of U2 when he started working with them back in the UF days - I remember reading that somewhere.

It's not his style of music, not being a fan helped him work better with the band.

doesn't everyone hate the studio version of Streets anyway compared to live? he could have been doing everyone a favour :wink:

I don't think there can be any doubt that he makes U2 better.

No greater evidence than NLOTH, in my opinion.

That said, I like Boots, it sure as hell beats the fuck out of that generic faux-funk crap rocker called Stand Up Comedy, with Bono and his out-of-touch 'rock star' laments.

Yeah, I think that Eno's admiration of MOS is really based in his awe of how the song came about--the whole one-take thing---and less in the song itself.
I'm sure that the development of MOS astonished him.

Hear, hear this is the man behind Elvis Presley and America after all.
:applaud:

not trying to troll here, but i can't help but get the feeling that some people simply state that boots, vertigo, beautiful day, elevation were all the worst songs on their albums, are just pulling the immature move of not-conforming for the sake of being different. It kind of annoys me, and frankly beautiful day couldn't have been that bad if it's the first song all my friends think of when I talk about u2. They all say it's great.

Am I the only one that still really likes Boots??

i was getting tired of it because i was hearing it so many times a day, but the leak helped. i put it away for a little bit and now i'm back on it.

it's still a favorite of mine on the album...great song.

and you guys are right...great singalong song...finally got all the verses down. i think outside the "submarine" bit, really strong lyrics.

not trying to troll here, but i can't help but get the feeling that some people simply state that boots, vertigo, beautiful day, elevation were all the worst songs on their albums, are just pulling the immature move of not-conforming for the sake of being different. It kind of annoys me, and frankly beautiful day couldn't have been that bad if it's the first song all my friends think of when I talk about u2. They all say it's great.

Yes, how dare anyone fail to conform to your song preferences and not think the first single from every album is the greatest thing ever !

Sorry, I think Boots, Vertigo, Elevation, and Discotheque are the worst songs on those albums by a long way, and it's not an "immature move" to state that opinion. Beautiful Day was good, but still not as good as the other 9 songs on the album. The focus on singles at all, is I think outmoded, and distorts one's view of the total album. What's truly an "immature move," as you put it, is simply raving over the latest single because it's the latest single. And if Beautiful Day is the first song your friends think of when they think of U2, well, I can only say you and your friends must be very, very young. I think of several dozen different songs I'd prefer to hear rather than BD when I think of U2.

Okay, okay, granted Boots is a bit of a throwaway song, as Elevation was, and even Discotheque, but the rest of the album is all-out U2. I was miffed at first but Horizon can survive Boots. It's not entirely terrible, and should prove fun live. Nothing wrong with a silly, fun number.

... yes, and I like it. So what is the point? Mr. Eno is an exceptional music intellectual, that has a not to underestimate contribution to U2's oeuvre – but, remember, he also was the guy, who wanted to erase "Where The Streets Have No Name" from the 1987 album and said, that "Stuck" would be the most successful single for the band ever.:wink: Errare humanun est, friends ...

Yeah, it's all a roll of the dice, and I can't imagine how stressful it is when Eno and U2 butt heads in the studio for weeks upon weeks. It must be bloody awful. No one has the right answer, the prescient vision. But each one thinks they do! (from an outsider's perspective) Eventually, they all seem to come to a compromise. Although, maybe they just get worn down, lol. Overall, I'm so glad Eno came onboard to add a new dimenson, his vision, to the U2 sound. Well worth it, ya ask me. Best thing that ever happened to U2. There have been so many high points...

Back
Top Bottom