Eno Hated Boots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At first I really liked Boots then I quickly got really bored of it to the point I thought it was lame. Though over time it regrew on me and now I really like it alot. It's a fun sing-a-long song for sure. Though I think it sucks live. At least so far.

I love Boots but when listening to the album it is pretty obvious that it is a unique entity in the tracklisting.

It's kind of like Steve Lillywhite walked in and took a dump in the middle of Brian Eno's playlist. :lol:

Boots is better than Vertigo, but still the worst song on the album. They've had an annoying tendancy from Pop onward of releasing the worst song, and the one least representative of the album as a whole, as the first single (Though Beautiful Day was only second worst song on ATYCLB, Elevation being the worst)

Vertigo, Beautiful Day, and Discotheque the worst or 2nd worst songs on their respective albums? :rolleyes:

Vertigo, Beautiful Day, and Discotheque the worst or 2nd worst songs on their respective albums? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, yes.

I always program Vertigo and Elevation out when listening to those albums. I like Beautiful Day, but it is still the second weakest track on the album (which says a lot for the album, btw!)

As for Pop, Discotheque is rivalled only by the atrocious Miami for worst song on the album. Other than those two, I think Pop is a brilliant album - despite the mind-numbing consensus among critics, and some fans, that it was supposedly a flop. Forget the album title - it's far from "pop," and contains some of Bono's best, and darkest, most haunting, lyrical work. Mofo, If God Would Send His Angels, Staring at the Sun, Gone, Velvet Dress, Please, and Wake Up Dead Man easily deserve to be ranked among in the top tier of U2's overall catalogue. Sad to see so many lazy reviewers still taking the same tired stand regarding the songs on Pop as they briefly skim the back catalogue as part of their NLOTH reviews.

If Boots had been written by some new band that no one had ever heard of before, everyone would be fawning over it: "oh my God! this sounds amazing!" etc. But since it's U2, but sounds unlike any other U2 song (it's. SO. FAST!!), people had a hard time getting into it, methinks.

It's a fun little ditty that will be awesome in concert. Probably shouldn't have been the lead-off single, but hindsight is 20/20. Honestly, if I had been in the meeting room with U2 trying to figure out the first single, I can see myself thinking it would have been a hit.

It works as a lead single it makes people talk. talking people means interest in the album. I am sure Lanois was behind it.

On a side note where can i buy a fez and stuffed cockatoo from

On a side note where can i buy a fez and stuffed cockatoo from

TheStar.com | World | Woman trades kids for $175 and cockatoo

Woman trades kids for $175 and cockatoo

Feb 27, 2009 04:30 AM

NEW ORLEANS–A Louisiana woman is accused of trading two young children in her care for a pet cockatoo and $175 in cash.

Donna Greenwell, 53, is charged with aggravated kidnapping. Also charged are Paul Romero, 46, and Brandy Lynn Romero, 27.

Greenwell allegedly called the Romeros about a cockatoo they were selling for $1,500. After hearing the Romeros were unable to have a child, she allegedly offered the five-year-old boy and four-year-old girl for money. The Romeros couldn't afford it, so she agreed to trade the kids for the bird, plus $175.

But she had no authority to put the children up for adoption. She's not their mother.

Associated Press

This had to be a U2 fan, right? The cockatoo because...you know, and the $175 for concert tickets.

:shifty:

I like the verses they have great rhythm and lyrics, but I detest the chorus and the 'sexy boots' interjections, make me cringe every time.

Overtime things will settle down because the track order is golden.

True. When I first got the tracks I moved everything ahead of boots, UC and
Crazy Tonight. As I got to know these tracks better they have come full circle back to the original line up.

Don't agree with this.. but you are entitled to your opinion :wink:

Unfortunately, yes.

I think Pop is a brilliant album - despite the mind-numbing consensus among critics, and some fans, that it was supposedly a flop. Forget the album title - it's far from "pop," and contains some of Bono's best, and darkest, most haunting, lyrical work. Mofo, If God Would Send His Angels, Staring at the Sun, Gone, Velvet Dress, Please, and Wake Up Dead Man easily deserve to be ranked among in the top tier of U2's overall catalogue. Sad to see so many lazy reviewers still taking the same tired stand regarding the songs on Pop as they briefly skim the back catalogue as part of their NLOTH reviews.

This is spot on.. :up:
I just hate to read how dismal, awful, a bumbling disaster, :blahblah: Pop is when it sold millions of albums. U2 has a devoted fan base but it wasn't just the fans loving that album. Oh well, they have to write about something. Guess it would be too much to ask to just write an opinion of this album.

Vertigo and BD are definitely not the worst songs (or 2nd worst) on their albums.

BD is still their greatest (and most successful) post 2000s single.

It works as a lead single it makes people talk. talking people means interest in the album. I am sure Lanois was behind it.
Well then why are they moving over so quickly to Breathe now? The album is in stores for what, a few days or so?
People talking is good, negative talk is not.

Unfortunately, yes.

I always program Vertigo and Elevation out when listening to those albums. I like Beautiful Day, but it is still the second weakest track on the album (which says a lot for the album, btw!)

As for Pop, Discotheque is rivalled only by the atrocious Miami for worst song on the album. Other than those two, I think Pop is a brilliant album - despite the mind-numbing consensus among critics, and some fans, that it was supposedly a flop. Forget the album title - it's far from "pop," and contains some of Bono's best, and darkest, most haunting, lyrical work. Mofo, If God Would Send His Angels, Staring at the Sun, Gone, Velvet Dress, Please, and Wake Up Dead Man easily deserve to be ranked among in the top tier of U2's overall catalogue. Sad to see so many lazy reviewers still taking the same tired stand regarding the songs on Pop as they briefly skim the back catalogue as part of their NLOTH reviews.

I disagree about Elevation, although the album version doesn't do it for me so much. I couldn't agree more about Pop, almost every reviewer makes some casual remark about it being a flop, misguided experiment etc. Pop has some seriously strong songs, songs which U2 didn't match on ATYCLB or HTDAAB.

And Boots is still working for me - Go Boots!!!

BTW, Boots was used as the intro to the Ireland v's England Six Nations rugby match today. It was a mixture of video of U2's rooftop Boots performance, combined with footage of rugby players knocking lumps out of each other! Then Bono and Edge appeared holding a black Guinness rugby ball, and said a few words, which unfortuantely I couldn't make out cos of the noise in the pub I was in. Wanted to see that again on the BBC iPlayer, but they start the coverage from the beginning of the match :sad:. U2 really have taken over the BBC this week, glad I'm a fan otherwise it would be really irritating!

Does the BBC still only have 2 tv channels?

:wink:

Winter sounds like bside material. People here are loving it because not everybody has heard it yet or may never hear it. Just like Mercy also sounded like bside material.

Boots isnt the greatest song in the world but it isnt the worst song in the world either. Brian Eno is a smart man but hes not right about everything.

Looking at his own personal catalogue hes made plenty of bad songs and bad albums. Hes a good producer for U2 because it makes U2 expand their limits but there is nothing wrong with a fun rock song, and that is something Eno is incapable of doing himself.

As he once said about the critics you should list your top 10 albums so you can find out what the critics predjustes are.

U2 is a cash cow for Eno. Hes also hinted of calling it a career soon.

As Bono said in the Popmart press conference "hes the art fag for U2"

Nothing wrong with that but hes not always right either.

Boots was made by analysis of the lyrics and by the video. :up:

But in comparison to the rest of the album.......meh.

Winter sounds like bside material. People here are loving it because not everybody has heard it yet or may never hear it. Just like Mercy also sounded like bside material.

Boots isnt the greatest song in the world but it isnt the worst song in the world either. Brian Eno is a smart man but hes not right about everything.

Looking at his own personal catalogue hes made plenty of bad songs and bad albums. Hes a good producer for U2 because it makes U2 expand their limits but there is nothing wrong with a fun rock song, and that is something Eno is incapable of doing himself.

As he once said about the critics you should list your top 10 albums so you can find out what the critics predjustes are.

U2 is a cash cow for Eno. Hes also hinted of calling it a career soon.

As Bono said in the Popmart press conference "hes the art fag for U2"

Nothing wrong with that but hes not always right either.

:up::up:

Hes a good producer for U2 because it makes U2 expand their limits but there is nothing wrong with a fun rock song, and that is something Eno is incapable of doing himself.
Ever heard of a little band called Roxy Music? Eno's own 'Baby's on Fire'?

Eno was once the king of trash. Something like Boots is not foreign to him. He just has good taste.

eno is pretty much right about everything. terrible song. i'm surprised he came around to it at all.

Eno predicted "Staring..." would be U2's next #1 single in the U.S. I couldn't wait to hear it. When I did, I was wildly disappointed. Fine song, but not #1.

Eno stated MOS was the best U2 song ever. Fine song, but hardly "best ever".

Eno is great at pushing the band and forcing them to think differently. :heart: Lanois is great at getting the best from the band. :love: Lillywhite is great at getting that raw sound from the band. Combined, they get some of U2's best music.

Individually, we can get great stuff too (see U2's first three albums). But a little too much of one can lead to OS1, which isn't for everyone (including some members within U2).

Eno stated MOS was the best U2 song ever. Fine song, but hardly "best ever".

Yeah, I think that Eno's admiration of MOS is really based in his awe of how the song came about--the whole one-take thing---and less in the song itself.

As Eno said in the Lanois "Here Is What Is" movie in relation to the creation of music: "What would be really interesting for people to see is how beautiful things grow out of shit." I'm sure that the development of MOS astonished him.

Boots is aiite but outside of the sound of the bridge (which makes me think of Miami a bit), it just sounds like Vertigo in terms of structure and idea. Sometimes I think of Boots as a retread of Vertigo. However, Winter isn't all that it's cracked up to be. They definitely need to work on that piece IMO alah Mercy.

Let me add, Brian Eno is not always correct or the be all of music.

I still don't understand why U2 took their worst song ever as their single to promote the album. I think they noticed the negative comments and thats probably why they now start to play Breathe.

Its hardly their worst song ever. It is innovative, sounds nothing like anything else they have done, and is a fun, catch song.

Why they started to play Breathe? You think that has any connection to how Boots has been perceived?

How about the fact that Breathe and Magnificent have appeared at shows where U2 had more than 1 song to do? Grammys, Brits, echo, they only had one song. They are just doing what they are supposed to do, promote the album when given a chance at their radio/interview gigs.

You would have a point if they dropped Boots, not supplemented it.

I dont think Boots is the best song U2 has ever done(I dont even know what that is BTW, its so difficult), but it certainly is not the worst. It is doing well on radio, though not on I-Tunes, but who cares. It was a reasonable choice for a 1st single.

That cant be denied. We all have our opinions, but we are not U2 or Eno or Lanois. No one is always right in their calculations, and we all have our own strange opinions on things- example, I still maintain that if Crazy Tonight goes out as a single, it will be a #1.

Back
Top Bottom