"Eno and Lanois producing again"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:

Nigel Godrich, was it ? I remember reading he forced him to fire
his previous studio band in making the album...

Yes thats right. Apparently Godrich was very adamant that he was only interested in producing an album of high quality songs and that he wouldn't allow Paul to get away with anything he believed to be sub-standard.

Although there seemed to be a degree of creative tension between the two, McCartney did in fact raise his game and, much to his credit, the tracks on the Chaos album are some of the most unusual and interesting of his solo career, Riding To Vanity Fair in particular is a real highlight.

Back to U2, I still find ATYCLB to be a pretty cohesive album overall, the band knew that they wanted to pull back from the myriad melodies and complexities of Pop and produce something far more defined which allowed the music to breathe again. The whole effort is very taut and economical, it's uncomplicated and feels much fresher to me. Its a collection of straight ahead songs that try to speak directly to the heart and it doesn't pretend to be anything else. I still really enjoy BD, Walk On, Kite, IALW and New York.

To me HTDAAB feels less focused and, to a degree, more forced. Unlike ATYCLB, I'm not sure that the bands ideas and intentions for this album were quite as well defined, the direction just wasn't as clear. The wish to do something that was a complete contrast to Pop in 99 wasn't as strong in 2003. IMO parts of the album seem a bit half-baked and when I heard that multiple producers had a hand in proceedings I did begin to think that the finished product might suffer from too many cooks. Late on in the process there seemed to be some doubts about how strong some of the material was and so more songs were developed to bolster the thing. Maybe this is why HTDAAB doesn't quite mesh into a satisfactory whole for me.

I think U2 were treading water slightly here, which is always dangerous for a band so intent on remaining relevant. What was originally potent and resonant becomes duller and less vibrant when its repeated too many times, making a fresh departure down unfamiliar paths is the way forward.

Last edited:
ATYCLB was a reaction to the 'failure' of POP, so the band wanted to become the biggest band in the world.

After they made their 'comeback', they just weren't sure enough of themselves and wanted to proof again they WERE the biggest the band in the world. So they made HTDAAB.

Now we're at the moment they know they've reached their goal. They are more relaxed and seem to be able again to make some more innovative music.

BANZAI said:
Now we're at the moment they know they've reached their goal.

The goal is soul (look for Aretha Franklin samples in next U2 album).

The goal is to mix the Rock with the Soul....stir in some Electronica sounds and some Hip-Hop beats...all the while not straying too far into parody...:yes:

Add some introspective/topical lyrics and with that you've got you're next masterpiece...:pray:

BANZAI said:
ATYCLB was a reaction to the 'failure' of POP, so the band wanted to become the biggest band in the world.
I do believe ATYCLB was indeed a reaction to the failure of POP

not so much the commercial failure (though it wasn't really that bad either, I guess) but the failure to release an album that feels like an album

that's why I think the new album will be quite a change in direction again since How to dismantle ... suffers from about the same problems as POP

All of the last 3 albums had their own problems and I don't think ATYCLB was a calculated "we got burned by Pop, let's make more accessible music now", the experimentation just got out of their collective system.

shart1780 said:
POP is way better than Atomic Bomb.

Another deep and enlightened post by Shart. It really gets to the matter at hand doesn't it? It really just defines "Eno and Lanois producing again" and the future of U2.

:applaud:

It's really interesting how some people use every possible topic coming their way to spread their usual amount of negativity, sounding like a broken record, even if it has nothing or very little to do with the original topic itself.

Let's please not have this thread deteriorate. It would be great if we could stay on topic and get along.

Bonochick said:
Let's please not have this thread deteriorate. It would be great if we could stay on topic and get along.

Perhaps you should name who you are referring to? That way people who constantly bring threads 'off-topic' might stop. :shrug:

Continuously making hopeful 'lets all get along' comments are surely destined not to work, I would have thought?

ludvic said:

Perhaps you should name who you are referring to? That way people who constantly bring threads 'off-topic' might stop. :shrug:

Continuously making hopeful 'lets all get along' comments are surely destined not to work, I would have thought?

Truthfully? I'd rather not thoroughly go through this entire thread to make sure that I fairly address everyone. I don't want it to be a case of, "If you called me out for that, why didn't you say anything to so-and-so?" I figured it was probably simpler to just make a general comment as a way of letting people see that I'm aware of the type of discussion going on...so please try to keep the thread on track and be considerate of the opinions of others.

last unicorn said:
It's really interesting how some people use every possible topic coming their way to spread their usual amount of negativity, sounding like a broken record, even if it has nothing or very little to do with the original topic itself.

i think we need to copy paste this post and put it in every single area of interference....it should become the background of the entire website actually...yeah.....

after listening to Lanois' newest record, Here Is What Is, I'm all the more convinced we're in for something special on the next record. First off, the production is amazing, otherworldly, and secondly, his songwriting is at its strongest. There little in the way of a "Morocco sound" (if there is such a thing), but rhythm certainly plays a huge part in his songs. Even the instrumental numbers, where Lanois' pedal steel reigns supreme, are backed by driving percussion. This creative mindset + U2 + Eno is going to make for a great album.

Lanois in general seems to be on a recent creative resurgence lately, and I am very interested to see what he brings to the new record, for sure.

Where's a good place to start listening to Lanois? The most recent album?

LemonMacPhisto said:
Where's a good place to start listening to Lanois? The most recent album?

I'd say either his Shine album, or Acadie, his debut.

the newest is available download only, cd is not out until march.

I second the vote for Acadie. :yes: Great stuff.

My brother-in-law tried to buy me the new Lanois download, but something got messed up with the links, so I'm still waiting....:waiting: I'm glad to hear the good reviews!

Utoo said:
I second the vote for Acadie. :yes: Great stuff.

My brother-in-law tried to buy me the new Lanois download, but something got messed up with the links, so I'm still waiting....:waiting: I'm glad to hear the good reviews!

I still have the download link... good for one more download. you interested? it's in wav format

Dorian Gray said:

I still have the download link... good for one more download. you interested? it's in wav format

Sure--thanks! utooguy @ gmail . com

I don't see this posted, it's from
Spinner.com:

Spinner.com
January 2, 2008
By Steve Baltin

Lanois Promises 'Innovative' Songs on New U2 Album

Twenty years ago, producer Daniel Lanois teamed with U2 on the band's
landmark album, 'The Joshua Tree.' Two decades later, Lanois is back
in the studio with the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers, working on their
forthcoming album, due this year.

"I'm doing some writing with [Brian] Eno and U2," Lanois tells Spinner