Edge's Solos......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I'll start by saying what a great album.
Bono's best vocals in at least 12 years.
Adam: awesome.
Larry's best album since AB.
Songs: awesome.

Edge's solos:

??

What's with his choice of notes? I don't expect (or would ever want) Van Halen solos from him, but his melodic lines in the guitar solos (at least 4) are really not doing it for me.

Does anyone else feel the guitar solos should've been more thought out/ more melodic?

If I wanted Eddie Van Halen, I would listen to Eddie Van Halen.

:combust: Magnificent
:cute: Unknown Caller
:rockon: Breathe

I agree with you here. Very underwhelmed by the solos. Love the songs but the solos could have been much better.

UC rocks.:up:

MOS, Breathe, etc... typical Edge melodic "solos" in my opinion that actually add to the song by putting the spotlight on the guitar rather than shamelessly demanding attention as rock's greatest soloists so often do.

But I've always preferred Edge's MO.:hug:

his solo on Unknown Caller is absolutely gorgeous. One of his best.

Could you give examples of the solos you don't like? I'd say in general, save UC, his guitarwork is very subtle and simple, which is typical Edge. But very catchy, like in Magnificent and Crazy Tonight.

I love his solos in Boots and Stand Up, they're very Achtung :drool:

UC rocks.:up:

MOS, Breathe, etc... typical Edge melodic "solos" in my opinion that actually add to the song by putting the spotlight on the guitar rather than shamelessly demanding attention as rock's greatest soloists so often do.

But I've always preferred Edge's MO.:hug:

True. As he said himself, he's not a gunslinger. He's a sideman who supports the singer and the band.

I think this is one of Larry's best albums. The rhythm section on this album is pretty strong and gives it a little more jazzy feel than most U2 albums.

A good guitar solo shouldn't have to impress you. It works within the context of the song and builds/emphasizes emotion.

To be honest, I'm not a big guitar solo fan so the only one I really noticed is Breathe which I thought was pretty nice.

For me that's a good sign it means it fit, the only reason I noticed Breathe is I thought to myself that it's a little longer than usual for Edge.

I can only think of maybe 5 Edge solos that really stand out to me.

I've given the album about 5 listens. The first time through I just listen and don't concentrate on any paticular thing, but just the overall feeling. The second time through it's usually vocals and lyrics. After that then guitar, structure, drums, etc... But this album has so many things going on, I haven't gotten to focusing on his solos...

Now that will be my focus on the next listen.

Loving the solos. Edge's notes are "expensive". Stand up comedy has a nice Hendrix slide solo. MOS and UC remind me of Pink Floyd and Television respectively. Edge is from punk rock so those solos are about as showboating as he gets.

You're all missing my sentiment; I don't want notey solos from Edge; I want him to hit those one or two notes that make you cry.

I'm not hearing those as much on this album.

Edge's guitar style is what drew me (and what keeps me coming back) to the band years ago. I can't stand guitar solos that go off on a tangent and so, U2 is the perfect band for me in that sense. I think the blues plays prominently in his guitar playing on this album, particularly in the solos.

I've been very happy with this album, but I do think that this may be the first time that Edge has been outperformed by every other member of the band and facet of production. So many of the songs share guitar tones and that arpeggiated delay that it's like he went from song to song without touching any knobs on his amp or pedals.

That being said, I think he sounds great in the first 4, SUC, and Fez.

I've been very happy with this album, but I do think that this may be the first time that Edge has been outperformed by every other member of the band and facet of production.

I agree 100%.

The first album Edge wasn't in top form.
Everyone else was.

Hi

After my 5th listening I really pay attention to Edge's solo on UC. It is quite nice. If it wasn't for the two (or maybe more) voices in the chorus and some other parts, it would be a very nice song.
All the guitar parts from Stand up sound very nice to me. It is very bluesy and remind me a bit to Love and Peace.

It's not even the solos, its his overall guitar work... just doesn't sound as exciting or even new. I think the Edge has completed a trilogy of work that is less than the Edge standard that I came to appreciate. And I love Beautiful Day and Window in the Skies which are considered Edge retread.

I'll start by saying what a great album.
Bono's best vocals in at least 12 years.
Adam: awesome.
Larry's best album since AB.
Songs: awesome.

Edge's solos:

??

What's with his choice of notes? I don't expect (or would ever want) Van Halen solos from him, but his melodic lines in the guitar solos (at least 4) are really not doing it for me.

Does anyone else feel the guitar solos should've been more thought out/ more melodic?

I posted this in my album review, but ill mention it here.

Edge has never been the guitarist with the fanciest licks, or the fastest fingers. Edge's power comes from his suitability to the purpose and feeling of the song. When I listen to an Edge solo, I am only thinking about how the notes, tone, cadence, tempo and any other aspects of the musicality are combining to convey emotion, ratehr than sound.

UC solo for me is perfect. It takes the emotion and feeling of the song that's been bubbling away and launches it off the edge (pun intended)

edge's solos are exactly what I expected. the perfect sound for each song. its like asking edge to rip it eddie van halen style on with out without you. come on people!:huh:

Edge is not the guy for big solos and never will be. He has his characteristic style and it's good that way. I like his more minimalistic approaches in most of the songs, the solo in UC is basically what saves the song for me, and MOS is simply beautiful. I like what he's doing on the album, he really is "on fire" and who knows how these songs will develop once they are played live. I think all band members are really in great form on this album.

what excites me about this is the live aspect.
On record the solo in Love is Blindness is so so. Live it is my fave guitar moment of all time, any band.

I think the solo in UC live will be breathtaking...:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom