Edge talks about a new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
From atu2.com:

Shortly before Saturday's Music Rising auction in New York, Edge sat down with Rob Simmelkjaer of ABCNews.com for a lengthy interview that focused mainly on Music Rising and the auction. But Simmelkjaer is a U2 fan, and didn't let you and me down. He asked Edge about progress toward a new album, and here's Edge's reply:

"We are working on a lot of material at the moment, but I have to say, it's without any particular ambition, without having to think about where it's going to go, and we're really enjoying that. It's very liberating. We're making music just for the sake of making it, and some wonderful things are happening as a result. I'm really resisting the temptation to start thinking in terms of making a record, of finishing anything and putting a record out -- I want to keep this spirit going for as long as possible. Who knows -- we may end up with two or three albums at the end of it. But for the moment, we're just loving getting lost in the music."

That sounds like no album for awhile. Sounds like they may be getting sme creative juices flowing though, which could be very good.

Didn't we hear this very comment before both ATYCLB and HTDAAB?

Guys, get some new talking points.

Yeah. I imagine in Edge's mind, they are always working on a new album. I'm sure he's robotically cataloguing ideas and sounds in his head at this very moment.

And what about that 2-3 records comment? I am going to stay optimistic and stand behind my double album theory. I have really nothing to base it on but a gut feeling.

You think? I think Rattle and Hum experience talked them out of doing double albums, and that they have enough problems getting 11 songs down.

U2girl said:
I want to keep this spirit going for as long as possible. Who knows -- we may end up with two or three albums at the end of it. But for the moment, we're just loving getting lost in the music."
Classic U2 between-album BS :lol:

:heart: Edge

^^ And? All i see on this site is how boring U2 have become,and if they take longer this time but produce an amazing album i cant see the problem.

that would be so sweet if they put out a triple album :drool:

each side with its own distinct sound

im saying 2008 for any album. it cant take that long to make songs. theyre gonna be so damned old by the time they get this thing out, theyve got to realize that. I hope whatever it is and whenever it comes out that its fucking out there (in space) :ohmy:

I think the correct title of the thread is Edge talks about how they are not working towards an album currently. How pessimistic of Edge! :wink:

Didn't Rubin "kick them out" of Abbey Road and told them not to return before the songs were 99% finished?

If I remember correctly he didn't like U2's normal "songwriting-by-accident" approach.

U2girl said:
You think? I think Rattle and Hum experience talked them out of doing double albums, and that they have enough problems getting 11 songs down.

Well, I like to think that R&H taught them a lesson about appropriating blues and coming off as overly-earnest, pious, and just too damn ubiquitous. And making a movie of the whole thing. I don't think the problem was the length.

And I like R&H.

I do agree that they have trouble throwing together 11 qual songs every cycle, but I think they will need a sellable "gimmick" for this record. In the current climate, it may not be enough to come out with a merely brilliant disc.

DOUBLE
DOUBLE
DOUBLE

The_Edge89 said:
Didn't Rubin "kick them out" of Abbey Road and told them not to return before the songs were 99% finished?

If I remember correctly he didn't like U2's normal "songwriting-by-accident" approach.

I don't think it was confrontational. I think Rubin just doesn't want to sit around waiting for God to enter the room.

Rock that shit out like Boy. They didn't have the luxury to hole up in a studio with no ideas in the bank.

It seems from the Rubin info and Edge's comments, the band is approaching things differently this time around. If they end up with "three albums" worth of songs by the end of the summer, it shouldn't take much time to record at least one album...Early December 2007?

It took them all of a few weeks in dublin to get Window in the Skies recorded with Rubin...because the song was already there...well, 99% maybe.

All I'm saying is, its possible that we aren't that far off from a new album, but who knows...you never know what'll happen when they get in studio, record the songs and then attempt to pass them through the rhythm test (aka, Adam and Larry give their final assessment ala the Atomic Bomb sessions with Chris Thomas).

I'd say at this point in their career that whenever they put out an album, so be it. They are 11+ albums deep and I think this is where (as a band) that you need to take the restraints off. Be it 2007 or 2012, I dont think it matters at this point when a new album comes out.

I dunno...a friend of mine kind of put it in perspective when Atomic Bomb came out. I asked what he thought of the new album and such, and he basically said...

"Well, in the 80's they stretched their sonic landscape and explorered the political as well as the visceral. In the 90's they went rock star over top. Now...well...they are kinda just there."

I guess that's why I'm in no rush for a new album. I dont want them to put something out because, "well, its been 4 years, I guess we better put out another album to remain "relevant"."

Anyways, there's my two cents.

I don't like the idea of a double album. U2 has troubles about reuniting in an album 12 five-star songs (although almost all of them are always great), there is always a filler or an average or two songs.
Imagine that situation in a double album of 22-25 songs... We'll have a Stadium Arcadium full of great songs but full of fillers too.

If it is a double album, I prefer it to be a double EP (7+8, for instance). Or even, make a "normal" EP of 12 songs and the leftovers, rework it, re-produce it and release another album.

Given their career lately, it seems that they are doing anything they can to be noticed. From the Super Bowl to the Brooklyn Bridge to the 3D movie, it seems like they are constantly looking for unique moves. That's why I continue to irrationally plug the DOUBLE. (Or the quick two-fer)

There's a great band called Appleseed Cast out of the Pacific northwest. They have an amazing double set called Low Level Owl I, II. It's great because it has some cool rock songs, but there is all this neat incidental, experimetnal music between the tracks that links the songs together. Actually, I don't think there is a single break between any songs.

That is a model that I would love U2 to take. Real songs (even singles) joined up with neat-o sonic landscapes and loopy what-nots. I mean, it's not 20 four minute songs (is that what Stadium Arcadium is?)

Even the White Album allowed for some breathers in between the brilliance.

Seriously, that Appleseed Cast might interest some of you guys. Chiming guitars, big BIG drums. Excellent stuff.

gmplace0401 said:
It seems from the Rubin info and Edge's comments, the band is approaching things differently this time around. If they end up with "three albums" worth of songs by the end of the summer, it shouldn't take much time to record at least one album...Early December 2007?

It took them all of a few weeks in dublin to get Window in the Skies recorded with Rubin...because the song was already there...well, 99% maybe.

All I'm saying is, its possible that we aren't that far off from a new album, but who knows...you never know what'll happen when they get in studio, record the songs and then attempt to pass them through the rhythm test (aka, Adam and Larry give their final assessment ala the Atomic Bomb sessions with Chris Thomas).

They arent approaching much of anything any differently this time. Maybe taking their time a bit more than normal. What is being said are the same talking points the band puts out in between most albums. "We have "several" albums worth of material at this point." "Its amazing stuff." "We are going in new directions." etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. They are not doing a double album. No way. As others have pointed out, its hard enough for them to put 11 to 12 songs together they think are suitable for release. The new album wont be out until fall of 2008 at the earliest. I actually think it will happen though at that time. Simply because I think they will want to hit the road again in 2009. So they will start to plan out the album and put it together. Most likely they will really go into full gear late this year and next spring.

I say this again though, people keep bringing up Rubin. It has never been officially announced he is producing the next album. Its been mentioned as a possibility only.

Re: Re: Edge talks about a new album

Canadiens1160 said:
Classic U2 between-album BS :lol:

:heart: Edge

It does seem that way doesn't it?!
So, probably the usual wait between albums, plus a little more for all the side projects of various sorts...

But playing around has got to be necessary to ultimately putting something out, right? And you know, like they were saying for the press when HTDAAB was released, they just don't need to prove much anymore...they don't need to put something out for the sake of getting something out, as much as we get on here and beg or bitch.

Love your avatar and siggie pic Canadiens1160!
According to "Win's scrapbook" on their site he and Regine (who looks so cute in that photo!) have been writing new songs anyway!

Cheers all...

Blue Room said:

I say this again though, people keep bringing up Rubin. It has never been officially announced he is producing the next album. Its been mentioned as a possibility only.

willie.jpg

He [The Edge] calls the material the group’s been working on with producer Rick Rubin “fascinating stuff.” When asked whether the band will team up again with longtime collaborators Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno, he merely laughs: “You might be surprised how quickly that happens.”

Rolling Stone website:
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...ate-the-edge-talks-rock-auction-new-u2-album/

The news that Rick Rubin is onboard to oversee the recording of the 12th U2 studio album makes for a tantalising prospect: the world's biggest producer working with the world's biggest band.

Q Magazine March 2007:
http://www.bonoonline.com/gallery/albums/q_march_2007/q_march_2007_27.jpg

I know it's not directly from their own mouths but since these two magazines are well-known I think we can trust them if they print an article that says U2 and Rick Rubin are working together and it's not April Fool's day or something.
I think the bandmembers would have reacted by now if this wasn't true.

And I hope I don't sound like an a-hole, because that's not what I intended to be, just brought up some actual facts.

Last edited:
I don't know. After Bomb I find myself not too anxiously awaiting this album. Bomb is just so boring to me now. There are other bands releasing new albums that I'm looking forward to more (blasphemy, I know).

I don't want them to just pump out an album for the heck of it, because we'll most likely get more cookie cutter music. I want them to take their time creating something fresh. I do, however, not want them to procrastinate making the thing.

The_Edge89 said:

Not exactly kicked them out, but yes, that was reportedly his initial reaction. Get back to me when you have finished great material/songs.

Unlike their usual "let's jam and see what happens" way of doing things.

Ahittle: by all means, if they have enough quality songs, bring on a double album. But I don't think they can do it. Only I wonder what having twice the amount of new songs would do to the setlists.

Back
Top Bottom