Edge talks about a new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with Blue Room in regards to the time of release. 2008 followed by a 2009/10 World tour.

As far as interview quotes and the like, I have learnt from the past to not believe ANYTHING these guys say until I have heard the album with my own ears.

If I was a betting man.

Fall 2007=U2 3D Movie
Fall 2008=New U2 Album (4 Friggin years since HTDAAB!!!)

More Edgie goodness...

http://music.yahoo.com/read/interview/42710164
YAHOO! MUSIC: So, what is U2 doing musically nowadays?

THE EDGE: We're actually going through a very creative period, songwriting-wise. We're not really thinking in terms of what this material is going towards, but we're writing a lot, and really enjoying the process--and the fact that it's not destined for any particular release or project. We're just really getting lost in it, and it's great. There's no sense of responsibility, we're just doing it for the love of doing it. It's the best way to write--just for creative reasons.

YAHOO! MUSIC: So I have to ask you...have you heard about these "U2charist" church services, where they play U2 music instead of regular hymns? And how do you feel about that?

THE EDGE: I have heard about that...though I've not attended a service! You know, I think a lot of my favorite music has a spiritual side. Bob Marley, Prince...you know, just great rock 'n' roll. In that sense, I don't think it's unique to U2 that our music could be put into this context. I guess our stuff has dealt with a lot of spiritual issues, so maybe it is the contemporary music most suited to that use. But we never expected it! Who would have thought that our music would actually be in a church service? But I'm fine with it! It always surprises me when I hear what people do with our music, and the songs they choose. Like people telling me they played "One" as the first dance at their wedding! I think to myself, "Have you listened to the lyrics?" It's far from a wedding song. But people listen to music and get different things from it, and our best songs operate on so many different levels--I think that's a strength. It's got a duality to it, which means it connects in a more complex way.

And another interview with Edge...

http://www.spinner.com/2007/04/19/the-edge-rises-up-for-new-orleans/

Has the New Orleans sound infiltrated U2's songwriting at a result of your time there?

I'm starting to hear little hints of it coming through. And this is such an early phase for us that it's hard to say definitively, "Yes, it's going to be a very noticeable element within the next songs that we work on." But I have seen it coming through, and I have no doubt that there will be an influence there.

How has songwriting been going for the band?

I'd say really good. Of course, everything is great the day you write it. So it's only when you get back to it a couple of weeks later that you can actually see what is truly great and what is a case of just being too close to it at the time. But I do think a lot of what we're doing is good at the moment, so I'm very excited.

The_Edge89 said:

willie.jpg

I know it's not directly from their own mouths but since these two magazines are well-known I think we can trust them if they print an article that says U2 and Rick Rubin are working together and it's not April Fool's day or something.
I think the bandmembers would have reacted by now if this wasn't true.

And I hope I don't sound like an a-hole, because that's not what I intended to be, just brought up some actual facts.

I believe the first quote is referring to the Abbey Road sessions. We had a discussion about this before. I believe the Rolling Stone quote is pure speculation based on what has been said. The band, their management, no one with their organization and not even Rubin himself have confirmed that he is producing the next album. All thats been said is that its a possibility. In fact most of the quotes from the parties in involved have been very vague on the subject. It may very well happen. But I dont think there are definate plans in motion at this point for him to produce it.

U2girl said:
Ahittle: by all means, if they have enough quality songs, bring on a double album. But I don't think they can do it. Only I wonder what having twice the amount of new songs would do to the setlists.

Yeah, their track record is not great at amassing songs. I am not being rational.

I was looking back at those ZooTV setlists and how bold they were at opening with that long string of new material. I would love for them to be that confident in a new record. I wouldn't mind a lopsided setlist if the new stuff was killer.

For me, WITS bodes well. Some folks don't dig it.

Supposedly they wrote over 100 songs in 1999.

How many finished studio tracks came out of that?
Maybe 16 or so? Even a few of those had to be worked on during the HTDAAB sessions, that is counting OOTS and Tough etc.

Just not a prolific band in terms of finishing songs.

"it's only when you get back to it a couple of weeks later that you can actually see what is truly great and what is a case of just being too close to it at the time."

That's very true for me as well.
I've written songs and worked on them for weeks and left them alone for a while and came back and thought it wasn't any good.
Creatively, when you're just putting down what's in you at that very moment, you have no idea how good they are until you are able to step back from them.

My guess is this is similar to the ATYCLB period.
They are going to just write and write and write and it will probably be the catalyst for the next two albums.

Still waiting for them to hire a producer, until then it's nothing but useless anticipation, then again that's about all it's good for on forums like these. Waiting around to see what happens.

I think it ould be awesome if they got Peter Gabriel to produce their new album.

But then t wouldn't probably take 10 years to come out.

If Rubin is quick in the studio and their stuff is already written when they hire him, chances are we'll be close at that point. It would also explain the lack of a producer at this point, as they are writing the songs before recording any in stone. So even with them writing and coming up with ideas, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a while until we heard any news regarding Rubin officially being hired. It's all talk until he is on board.

I think the better news out of this is that, at least per Edge's quotes, they're nowhere near retiring. The older they get, a reminder like this that U2's still enjoying writing songs is welcome.

I'm glad U2 are just making music and working on songs. Direction should be geared on which songs they did well and that's all any band should do. If you force a quality onto songs too much, it'll show. There's probably lots of good ideas left over from other albums still hanging around.

Yeah. Maybe they are finally at a place where they are not hyper-career oriented. The last two records were pretty calculated and you could tell that they felt they were super cautious about their place in the music world.

Zoo_Fly said:
If Rubin is quick in the studio and their stuff is already written when they hire him, chances are we'll be close at that point. It would also explain the lack of a producer at this point, as they are writing the songs before recording any in stone. So even with them writing and coming up with ideas, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a while until we heard any news regarding Rubin officially being hired. It's all talk until he is on board.

rubin does like the people he works with to have songs written ahead of time... whereas u2 usually hires the producer and the producer sits with them for months and months and months trying to hatch something out.

the fact that they're sorta/kinda in the studio working on songs without a producer present makes me think that they have at the very least a verbal agreement with rubin to produce the album.

if only the wacky boner guy would go back to dublin and, oh i dunno, write some lyrics, they could have an album by the end of this year... but 2008 is much more likely.

what sucks is that we all know if they don't get it out in november of 2007 they'll wait until november of 2008 to release it, wanting to capitalize on the christmas rush and all. greedy corporate sell outs :madspit:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
what sucks is that we all know if they don't get it out in november of 2007 they'll wait until november of 2008 to release it, wanting to capitalize on the christmas rush and all. greedy corporate sell outs :madspit:

Yep. That would indeed suck if they just sat on the finished product until Halloween.

Numb1075 said:
Pop was a March release....

but we all know how well that went.:huh:

I loved that. I remember buying POP on a beautiful spring day and driving around with the windows down.

Summer releases are awesome - maybe not for the bottom line, but...

Numb1075 said:
Pop was a March release....

but we all know how well that went.:huh:

it was meant to be a fall release though and got delayed. the only reason they didn't wait until the next fall was because the tour dates were already booked and they HAD to finish/release it then.

and like you said, look how it turned out. that experience will only reinforce their desire to only release albums during the holiday season.

Edge is becoming a lot like Bono lately, saying the same things about a release, the same comments.

honestly, i believe adam "what cd?? we haven't started one"

that's where they are at...we're not getting a record until fall of 2008 at the earliest.

t8thgr8 said:
how awesome would it be if one day the new record just showed up in stores:drool:

Reminds me of back in the pre-internet days. As a young guy, I wasn't absolutely sure what was available. I always believed that there could have been obscure import U2 stuff swimming around out there. And sometimes records by people I really like just showed up on a Tuesday in the stores. That was actually pretty exciting and neat.

Well, I think it's good news if Adam says they are not working on anything and Edge says they are...this equals Edge experimenting by himself = best U2 music. Streets!!!

Memo to all U2 fans:

Just ask Adam or Larry about "when the new album is coming out". :wink:

P.S.
Just be sure to ask Larry how his day is going 1st.

Back
Top Bottom