Early physical single vinyl release of SOI? Photos inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just called to local record stores in Atlanta (Criminal Records and Wax n Facts). Neither had this in stock, nor had they heard of it. I asked Criminal Records about ordering it and they said it was not available to them. If anyone has any luck, please post here.

I tweeted Interscope yesterday with these pictures in the thread. Hoping to hear back from them regarding the release and more info. I like rare vinyl!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The Amoeba website is still showing unavailable. I'm off work today, but I still am hesitant to drive 70 miles one way for one record :( Plus I have bills due and a change in jobs this month. Argh!

The Amoeba website is still showing unavailable. I'm off work today, but I still am hesitant to drive 70 miles one way for one record :( Plus I have bills due and a change in jobs this month. Argh!

If you end up going and can secure me a record as well, I can paypal you $40 to cover mine and yours. Plus, I'll cover shipping for you to mail me mine. Just let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!

I just registered, lurked a bit over the years, to thank the OP for sharing this.

I called Amoeba last night and the salesman who answered told me SOI was not yet out. I agreed w/ him and explained. He then offered to go and check what I was talking about. When he came back he expressed wonder/confusion as to what it was. He didn't know how they got it or from where, but agreed that it had legitimate Universal markings and such - as shown in the pics on this thread.

He transferred me to John who rang it up for me and offered it shipped Media Mail for $5 or First Class for $7. They don't offer tracking, but he said to speak to Phil or Andrew in shipping if I had any ?s. It should be to me here on the East Coast by Friday.

If you want it, call. They don't even know they have it.

Thanks again for posting about your unique find OP. I am not sure what this is, as Amoeba is also not sure. But, it's cool and looks legit for whatever it is!

I'll still get the 180g white vinyl and the CD Deluxe, but I'm tickled to have this too. I've loved the look of this packaging since it dropped 3 weeks ago.

Again, many thanks!

I just registered, lurked a bit over the years, to thank the OP for sharing this.

I called Amoeba last night and the salesman who answered told me SOI was not yet out. I agreed w/ him and explained. He then offered to go and check what I was talking about. When he came back he expressed wonder/confusion as to what it was. He didn't know how they got it or from where, but agreed that it had legitimate Universal markings and such - as shown in the pics on this thread.

He transferred me to John who rang it up for me and offered it shipped Media Mail for $5 or First Class for $7. They don't offer tracking, but he said to speak to Phil or Andrew in shipping if I had any ?s. It should be to me here on the East Coast by Friday.

If you want it, call. They don't even know they have it.

Thanks again for posting about your unique find OP. I am not sure what this is, as Amoeba is also not sure. But, it's cool and looks legit for whatever it is!

I'll still get the 180g white vinyl and the CD Deluxe, but I'm tickled to have this too. I've loved the look of this packaging since it dropped 3 weeks ago.

Again, many thanks!

Thank for the info. I'll try this.

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not but it appears there's already a physical vinyl release of Songs of Innocence out. I picked this up at Amoeba Records earlier today and it appears to be an official Interscope/Universal release.

Lock if old/known. Pretty excited about it :D
Thanks for sharing! Interesting stuff.

Thanks again to the original poster. Finally managed to snag a copy after calling all 3 Amoeba stores. Berkley and Hollywood were out. Got one shipped from the San Francisco store.

Thanks again to the original poster. Finally managed to snag a copy after calling all 3 Amoeba stores. Berkley and Hollywood were out. Got one shipped from the San Francisco store.

Me too. I just scored a copy by phone from the San Francisco store. I'm in Colorado. The clerk was super helpful and awesome. Indie stores for the WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Someone in the Steve Hoffman forums claims that this is limited to 100 copies and that U2 quietly snuck it into Amoeba stores in order to qualify for a Grammy nomination. If true, it's another smart move from Guy Osseary.

I'm honestly thinking of trying this haha, would be such a cool thing to have. I'll maybe do some research here in Nashville.

Me too. I just scored a copy by phone from the San Francisco store. I'm in Colorado. The clerk was super helpful and awesome. Indie stores for the WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Someone in the Steve Hoffman forums claims that this is limited to 100 copies and that U2 quietly snuck it into Amoeba stores in order to qualify for a Grammy nomination. If true, it's another smart move from Guy Osseary.

Grammy eligibility requirements...

Recordings must be commercially released in general distribution in the United States, i.e. sales by label to a branch or recognized independent distributor, via the Internet, or mail order/retail sales for a nationally marketed product. Recordings must be available for sale from any date within the eligibility period through at least the date of the current year’s voting deadline (final ballot).

To me, sneaking 100 copies into Amoeba wouldn't satisfy this standard, but what do I know?

They don't have any more.

Take heart. You suggested that sneaking 100 copies into Amoeba in order to qualify for a Grammy is implausible--and I agree with you on that--then there's a chance this could pop up in other indie stores over the next few weeks.

Someone in the Steve Hoffman forums claims that this is limited to 100 copies and that U2 quietly snuck it into Amoeba stores in order to qualify for a Grammy nomination. If true, it's another smart move from Guy Oseary.
Interesting, if true.

There is one for sale now on eBay. Buyer says they got it at Looney Tunes in Long Island. Here is the Looney Tunes site with more info: Looney Tunes. Site says it is limited to 300. In store only. Maybe this can help somebody out.

Looney Tunes wants $49.99! :ohmy:

NOW THAT IS JUST LOONEY TUNES.....

I'm so excited I ordered one of these. I have a lot of rare (record store day) pressings of various (non U2) vinyls.

WAIE from U2 was 5000 pressings.

But if this is truly 300 pressings? wow.

I ordered one as well...I'm not really into vinyl, but what the hell. I won't open it.

I understand this is a "test pressing", but that notwithstanding, I wonder how much the resale/collector's value of these will really be in years to come. Some U2 titles, like ATYLCB and Bomb, and even WAIE can go for quite a bit on eBay, but those records are all OOP and aren't otherwise widely available in vinyl...this one will be readily available in a couple weeks to anyone who wants one.

I once picked up one of the Harry Potter hardcovers at B&N that I noticed had a cover misprint. Turns out it was a very rare misprint (I looked all over the internet and could not find another one) and I sold it for a very tidy sum on eBay.

Either way, no big deal, easy investment. I don't get sentimental about such things, and wouldn't hesitate to sell it in the future if there's a market.

I ordered one as well...I'm not really into vinyl, but what the hell. I won't open it.

I understand this is a "test pressing", but that notwithstanding, I wonder how much the resale/collector's value of these will really be in years to come. Some U2 titles, like ATYLCB and Bomb, and even WAIE can go for quite a bit on eBay, but those records are all OOP and aren't otherwise widely available in vinyl...this one will be readily available in a couple weeks to anyone who wants one.

I once picked up one of the Harry Potter hardcovers at B&N that I noticed had a cover misprint. Turns out it was a very rare misprint (I looked all over the internet and could not find another one) and I sold it for a very tidy sum on eBay.

Either way, no big deal, easy investment. I don't get sentimental about such things, and wouldn't hesitate to sell it in the future if there's a market.

Hi Nick, where we're you able to order yours from? You're in England aren't you?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom