Double Album Speculation :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2FanPeter said:

What was the direct reference to the Bush administration in 2005 that was in no previous version? I also thought that other countries were involved in torture like the UK?

Remember in the Conan TV interview Bono admitted that even members of U2 were severly pissed off at some of the politians he was seen cavorting beside?

Also keep in mind that all tickets for the Us Vertigo tour were pre-sold before they played a single note. It didn't matter to them if thousands don't show up like in Vegas(bought by hotels as a promotion to guests) What if Bono/U2 made overt anti-torture comments in the 2004 promo tour?

Can you not see the difference between subversive political messages and going the Neil Young route of declaring "Let's Impeach the President"?

u2fp

Of course other countries were involved, it's just that the US got the most flack in the media. Do you think he skipped the routine in, say, UK shows ?

Yes, I imagine he's probably pissed off at some people he meets too. Doesn't mean he still can't work with them for the greater good.

Tickets may be sold pre-show, but in the time of the internet it's not hard to find out what the show is about, or that the War trilogy is featured. I don't think it would matter much if any over comments would happen, he had overt comments in 1987 and that didn't stop them. It's not necessary to scream "Down with Bush!" from stage to get a point across.

the tourist said:
U2 will do what U2 wants. If U2 wants to have a song with swearing in the chorus, they will. I work in retail and am an avid cd buyer and I don't know of anywhere I've bought cds that keeps the Parental Advisory stickered albums behind the counter. A thread that I started is pissing me off. All the bickering. Two people who think if they come up with the cleverer or wittier or smarter respond that they'll convince the other of their side. It's not going to happen.

M.I.A. got censored on her first single/video, Letterman and MTV recently. That is a prime example why u2 would be careful of not swearing in a chorus like Trent did in "Closer".

PEACHES cds are not stocked in some US retailers because of the content.

Sheryl Crow got her album yanked from some US retailers after some lyrics about kids buying guns at a walmart to kill.

I've seen covers like Nirvana Nevermind(naked swimming baby) and a White Zombie Remix(Naked chick in a hammock) censored when featured in print advertisements. U2 even had the original BOY cover BANNED in the US nearly 30 years ago.

I too have never seen music only availble under the counter, but many websites(check Parental Advisory on Wikipedia or their official site) confirm it. I imagine this would only happen in more rural areas rather than big cities.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

I too have never seen music only availble under the counter, but many websites(check Parental Advisory on Wikipedia or their official site) confirm it. I imagine this would only happen in more rural areas rather than big cities.

u2fp

In which case people can just buy it on itunes and fuck the retailers.

U2FanPeter said:

Can you not see the difference between subversive political messages and going the Neil Young route of declaring "Let's Impeach the President"?

yeah, one gets things done the other just sounds good...

Back
Top Bottom