Double Album Speculation :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMelon said:

Binary Code? No wonder I skimmed over that. Sounds like a Radiohead b-side. :wink:

Hahaha, what can I say? I love Radiohead, too. And I've never liked the name "Mercy."

Zoomerang96 said:

i've worked as a journalist, and i currently find myself teaching english.

i might remind you of a 13 year old girl, but you'd probably be wrong to think my vocabulary is small.

I wasn't calling you a 13-year-old girl. I'm just saying the word "uber" rings a certain smack of adolescent females.

much like my girly wrists?

you'd have a really good point if you were talking about my wrists. 13-year-old girlish indeed. at BEST.

i've never won a fight i didn't win, guys.

has everybody forgotten that Rattle & Hum was a double album upon vinyl release?

yes portions are live, I know.. that fact certainly doesn't help its flow

Dorian Gray said:
has everybody forgotten that Rattle & Hum was a double album upon vinyl release?

I never considered it a true double album. 2 of the tracks U2 don't even appear on it . Many albums have been released w/ that many tracks. I think it was a company thing to charge more.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I never considered it a true double album. 2 of the tracks U2 don't even appear on it . Many albums have been released w/ that many tracks. I think it was a company thing to charge more.

Yeah. I think it still costs more than the rest of the 80s albums now, even though it's just one cd. I'll be excited if and when U2 remasters/reworks it. I'm hoping for disc one being the Rattle & Hum studio songs (including b-sides) and the other being the live stuff from the dvd (especially Sunday Bloody Sunday, With Or Without You, and Exit).

the tourist said:

Yeah. I think it still costs more than the rest of the 80s albums now, even though it's just one cd. I'll be excited if and when U2 remasters/reworks it. I'm hoping for disc one being the Rattle & Hum studio songs (including b-sides) and the other being the live stuff from the dvd (especially Sunday Bloody Sunday, With Or Without You, and Exit).

Hmmm. That would be weird to split up the record after all this time. As much hate as R&H has generated, I still think it was a worthy project. I especially like the idea of the studio tracks mixed with the live tracks - it reminds me of a travelogue of sorts.

When you split up the individual tracks, everybody sort of loses: as a whole, the studio songs are just so-so. That studio album would've been a bit dodgy. The collection of live tracks are not nearly as strong as a complete concert from the same era.

But mixed together, I think R&H is kinda cool - a neat mixtape from that era.

ahittle said:

Hmmm. That would be weird to split up the record after all this time. As much hate as R&H has generated, I still think it was a worthy project. I especially like the idea of the studio tracks mixed with the live tracks - it reminds me of a travelogue of sorts.

When you split up the individual tracks, everybody sort of loses: as a whole, the studio songs are just so-so. That studio album would've been a bit dodgy. The collection of live tracks are not nearly as strong as a complete concert from the same era.

But mixed together, I think R&H is kinda cool - a neat mixtape from that era.

Couldn't disagree with you more. I've always hated albums that mixed live and studio, the flow is just terrible.

R&H studio songs so so? Heartland:drool: Hawkmoon:drool: AIWIY:drool: God Part II:drool:Desire, Love Rescue Me... it could have easily been a great studio album if you added Halleluiah Here She Comes and Room at the Heartbreak Hotel.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

R&H studio songs so so? Heartland:drool: Hawkmoon:drool: AIWIY:drool: God Part II:drool:Desire, Love Rescue Me... it could have easily been a great studio album if you added Halleluiah Here She Comes and Room at the Heartbreak Hotel.

:combust:

Disc 1 of R&H remaster:

1. Hawkmoon 269
2. Van Diemen's Land
3. Desire
4. Hallelujah Here She Comes
5. Love Rescue Me
6. When Love Comes To Town
7. Angel of Harlem
8. A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
9. Dancing Barefoot
10. Unchained Melody
11. Everlasting Love
12. She's A Mystery To Me
13. Heartland
14. God Part II
15. All I Want is You

the tourist said:
Disc 1 of R&H remaster:

1. Hawkmoon 269
2. Van Diemen's Land
3. Desire
5. Love Rescue Me
7. Angel of Harlem
9. Dancing Barefoot
10. Unchained Melody
11. Everlasting Love
13. Heartland
14. God Part II
15. All I Want is You

Actually looking at this...

If you took the covers out so 9, 10, 11 and just had a 12 song album, this may have been one of U2's best albums ever.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Actually looking at this...

If you took the covers out so 9, 10, 11 and just had a 12 song album, this may have been one of U2's best albums ever.

Yeah. I was thinking that. But then I decided that since it was a fictional remaster, I had to put the covers onto the studio disc. Hahaha.

the tourist said:
Disc 1 of R&H remaster:

1. Hawkmoon 269
2. Van Diemen's Land
3. Desire
5. Love Rescue Me
7. Angel of Harlem
9. Dancing Barefoot
10. Unchained Melody
11. Everlasting Love
13. Heartland
14. God Part II
15. All I Want is You

Why not add Silver and Gold to this? Sure it was part of the Joshua Tree sessions, but was not officially released until R&H right? It would be simiar to another issue as was discussed in another current forum, where 'Original of the Species' was originally worked on during ATYCLB but was official on the Bomb. I have to include Silver and Gold on R&H and as BonoVoxSupastar said, take out the covers and you definitely have possibly their best album. What could've been :wink:

mofo82 said:
Why not add Silver and Gold to this? Sure it was part of the Joshua Tree sessions, but was not officially released until R&H right? It would be simiar to another issue as was discussed in another current forum, where 'Original of the Species' was originally worked on during ATYCLB but was official on the Bomb.

Actually, it's not comparable at all. Silver And Gold was released as a b-side to Streets in 1987 along with Race Against Time and Sweetest Thing.

Axver said:

Actually, it's not comparable at all. Silver And Gold was released as a b-side to Streets in 1987 along with Race Against Time and Sweetest Thing.

it's not comparable at ALL?

sorry

it would still sound good in the setlist

You know, you shoot down just about any suggestion i make on here, whether it's factual or opinion based and it gets pretty old. I did leave my suggestion this time somewhat open and you come around again and just shoot me out of the water as if there's absolutely no point to what I've contributed. You like to go that extra mile, as I've italicized in your quote and it's basically flat out rude. Headhunting is what you do. Search for any little thing and attack it. I feel we could really get along cus I love this band so much, but this kind of style gets in the way.

I've been a member of this forum for 5 years and I used to have great conversations with people on this forum that were constructive, even if I was wrong. . Now, it almost always 'you're wrong' or 'this is the way it is and it's gotta be this way'. Honestly, it's pretty lame. I didn't know I had to be a U2 history major to pass the exams on this forum. There are others on this forum that are kill joys too. I'm not one of those who blatantly goes out and says highly controversial things or insults other forum members. letting things get to my head. I just like to talk. Used to be fun around here.:|

Last edited:
I agree with Axver about Silver and Gold. Since it'd already been released as a b-side at the time when Rattle & Hum was recorded, it'd be silly to put it on an album. That would be sorta like if Summer Rain ended up on How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Or if Lady With The Spinning Head had would up on Zooropa.

mofo82 said:

No, it's not.

OOTS, at the time of ATYCLB, was an entirely unreleased song that was unfinished. It went through further development before being included on HTDAAB.

Silver And Gold was a song originally recorded in 1985 as a project involving Bono outside of U2 for the Sun City project. It was later recorded by U2 and released as Streets' b-side. Completely different to OOTS, and thus any hypothetical re-use of it on RAH is not comparable.

You know, you shoot down just about any suggestion i make on here, whether it's factual or opinion based and it gets pretty old. I did leave my suggestion this time somewhat open and you come around again and just shoot me out of the water as if there's absolutely no point to what I've contributed. You like to go that extra mile, as I've italicized in your quote and it's basically flat out rude. Headhunting is what you do. Search for any little thing and attack it.

I ... do? I by no means intend to do that, and I'm sorry if you feel that way. Though to be frank, if you think I'm paying special attention to you, you may need to get over yourself. I barely know you! Sure, I recognise your screen name; odds are that I'd recognise the screen name of any regular EYKIW poster. But besides that? If somebody asked me "what does mofo82 like?", I couldn't tell them. I have no solid idea what your opinions are on U2's stuff. I sincerely don't recall the last time I responded to a post of yours outside this thread. I certainly don't headhunt your posts or aim to shoot you down, and I find the baseless accusation to be a little insulting.

Also, no need to fuss about "at all". I didn't come out with guns blazing or with fiery statements along the lines of "that's not fucking comparable, you moron". I just said it's not comparable and your response strikes me as a wee bit pedantic. It was not an attack, believe me.

I mean no animosity. I don't dislike you one bit, nor do I hold any negative views or feelings towards you. You type coherently and don't bait people or post stupid shit, thus I see no reason to not think positively towards you. I realise this post might not reflect that and I apologise for that - but you have put me on the defensive and that probably shows. In any case, I don't mean to discredit or attack you and I apologise for evidently producing that impression by accident.

:)

mofo82 said:

No, absolutely not. The tune "Silver And Gold" dates back to 1985, when officially released in a bluesy version. Legend says, that Bono felt ashamed U2 and/or himself not being able to play tunes on an acoustic guitar and/or knowing about their own musical traditions. Axver might correct me that it was the result of a conversation with Keith Richards or someone in that league...
Then the tune was released in a re-recorded version to be an official TJT B-side. So it has nothing to do at all with R&H and its sessions, that took place after during and after the TJT Tour and ended on its own album in '88. By the way: Happy New Year to y'all!!!!

the tourist said:
6. A Summer in the Garden of Evil [8:02]
[begins with a droning guitar line--a song about Bono going to Africa and watching countless deaths of AIDS--builds and builds and builds; first song in which Bono uses the word "fuck" in the chorus, a song where he calls out corporations and individuals by name for not doing more to help--builds even more and features Bono growling like a rabid madness has taken him over before fading at the 7 minute mark and Bono crying in a whispering voice (which is because he's lost his voice due to rabid yelling at the song's climax) to "help the children" over a lonely piano--quickly becomes a favourite album track by devoted fans]

Doesn't Bono say "fuck" in Chorus of AIWIY from the Slane DVD?

Seriously, I think there would be some US retail issues(like walmart) if a U2 album uses the F-word more than once.

u2fp

Re: Re: Double Album Speculation :D

U2FanPeter said:

Doesn't Bono say "fuck" in Chorus of AIWIY from the Slane DVD?

Seriously, I think there would be some US retail issues(like walmart) if a U2 album uses the F-word more than once.

u2fp

1. No. It was during Edge's solo.

2. That's a live show.

3. That wasn't released as a regular LP.

Axver said:

No, it's not.

OOTS, at the time of ATYCLB, was an entirely unreleased song that was unfinished. It went through further development before being included on HTDAAB.

Silver And Gold was a song originally recorded in 1985 as a project involving Bono outside of U2 for the Sun City project. It was later recorded by U2 and released as Streets' b-side. Completely different to OOTS, and thus any hypothetical re-use of it on RAH is not comparable.

I ... do? I by no means intend to do that, and I'm sorry if you feel that way. Though to be frank, if you think I'm paying special attention to you, you may need to get over yourself. I barely know you! Sure, I recognise your screen name; odds are that I'd recognise the screen name of any regular EYKIW poster. But besides that? If somebody asked me "what does mofo82 like?", I couldn't tell them. I have no solid idea what your opinions are on U2's stuff. I sincerely don't recall the last time I responded to a post of yours outside this thread. I certainly don't headhunt your posts or aim to shoot you down, and I find the baseless accusation to be a little insulting.

Also, no need to fuss about "at all". I didn't come out with guns blazing or with fiery statements along the lines of "that's not fucking comparable, you moron". I just said it's not comparable and your response strikes me as a wee bit pedantic. It was not an attack, believe me.

I mean no animosity. I don't dislike you one bit, nor do I hold any negative views or feelings towards you. You type coherently and don't bait people or post stupid shit, thus I see no reason to not think positively towards you. I realise this post might not reflect that and I apologise for that - but you have put me on the defensive and that probably shows. In any case, I don't mean to discredit or attack you and I apologise for evidently producing that impression by accident.

:)

Even though I was really only thinking about major album releases like R&H and ATYCLB, I didn't realize Silver & Gold had so much history prior to R&H. I thought it was worked on during JT but saved until R&H. I rightfully stand corrected.

I didn't mean to disrespect you Axver regarding the headhunting comment. I think it's just that errors not just made by me regarding U2 factoids probably stand out like deer in headlights to you and I felt my idea got lost in the way, as it seems a few of my ideas have been disrespected lately by other posters. I got a little frustrated and I apologize for that. What's correct is correct and what's wrong is wrong. I guess I learned something from you again :wink:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Double Album Speculation :D

phillyfan26 said:

1. No. It was during Edge's solo.

2. That's a live show.

3. That wasn't released as a regular LP.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Re: Re: Double Album Speculation :D

U2FanPeter said:

u2fp

HAHAHA

oh wow.

my oh my.

that's gold. i too, also hope u2 never do anything to get in the way of walmart.

let's play it safe, guys.

fucking brilliant!

Re: Re: Re: Double Album Speculation :D

Zoomerang96 said:
HAHAHA

oh wow.

my oh my.

that's gold. i too, also hope u2 never do anything to get in the way of walmart.

let's play it safe, guys.

fucking brilliant!

I was once naive enough to think that as well.

Then there was the 7 EP and the Boston DVD 2 week exclusive.

Or Bono/U2 never trashing the Bush/Katrina until Vertigo on continental US was over and they wouldn't tour until that administration was out of office.

Or changing the Desire lyric to "when I'm BESIDE her" rather than how he sings it when played live.

u2fp

Re: Re: Re: Re: Double Album Speculation :D

U2FanPeter said:

Or Bono/U2 never trashing the Bush/Katrina until Vertigo on continental US was over and they wouldn't tour until that administration was out of office.

Or changing the Desire lyric to "when I'm BESIDE her" rather than how he sings it when played live.

u2fp

You do know why he doesn't say anything against the current (or future, for that matter) administration don't you ?
And as far as I can tell, he still hasn't trashed Bush re: Katrina (making a video does not equal Bono trashing the US president) and please show me a quote where the band and/or Bono said they'd never tour the US until Bush II administration was out of office.

And what does changing a lyric have to do with playing it safe ? There's plenty of changed or ad-lib lines live. If anything "when I'm INSIDE her" is far less "safe" than the official "beside her" line.

Back
Top Bottom