~Double Album Debate~

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But don't you think that appropriately adding instrumentals to an album can help give it that album atmosphere that was missing on HTDAAB (and arguably since the early 1990s)?

I agree with your first sentence, but I just don't think that each track on a U2 album has to represent that. As you have argued eloquently many times, it's precisely that type of thinking that led to the lack of album cohesion on HTDAAB.

I think U2's instrumentals from the UF era are pretty much great (although the one that ended up on the album is easily the weakest). Bass Trap effortlessly creates an incredible atmosphere. If they had something like that that came out of a Fez jam session, or from Danny messing around on the lap or pedal steel, I'd love to see it worked into an album (if it fits).

Or even a pseudo-instrumental that is bizarre and off-the-cuff like J. Swallo could work. I'd love U2 to put a track on there that doesn't sound so complete and single-worthy, but works only to create or continue a mood/atmosphere. A spacey instrumental that segues into Magnificent (with that monstrous drum-fill and soon-to-be legendary Edge riff)? Count me in.

Damn you! you are making great points here, which are making me have to respond!!! I was looking to pop in for a couple of minutes than go off and celebrate the new year!!! :D

Yeah, I guess you could be onto something...though I think the lack of cohesion on the last album was more about the songs that were included as opposed to those that weren't. I believe that some of the songs could have been replace with others...but in the end would it have saved the album? don't know....maybe. Would an instrumental have worked on it too...not sure.

If they did throw a minute or two long instrumental on this next album and it worked then I'd be all for it. I just haven't liked any of their previous ones. For example...I felt that 4th of July was just Meh for me.

If I had to guess I'm thinking that this next album is going to have two or three obvious singles...while most of it will be stuff that won't work on the radio but will make your ears orgasm when listening to it as a whole in your living room or car or whatever. Personally, those are the types of songs I like the most.

But I'm talking purely length and why it was considered a double album at the time...

You can argue the merits of content in another thread. If someone released a double album of all covers it's still a double album.

No, you can go argue in another thread. I stated my opinion and if you didn't like it, too bad. Opinions are like assholes we all have one!!!

If they did throw a minute or two long instrumental on this next album and it worked then I'd be all for it. I just haven't liked any of their previous ones. For example...I felt that 4th of July was just Meh for me.

U2 instrumentals and semi-instrumentals (if there's such thing) that I think work very well:

- Boomerang I
- Let's Go Native
- Race Against Time
- J Swallow
- Endless Deep
- Always Forever Now
- Beach Sequence

I wouldn't mind some of this kind of stuff finding it's way onto the album. But I'm actually hoping the DVD is full of this type of material (especially darker/moody tunes)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom