Don't believe the hype? - NLOTH General Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ideally, it won't leak it all. Although, ideally, it would be released at the exact same moment everywhere in the world.

And, ideally, I could have heard Boots and maybe one other song before I open up my box set on the third and listen to the CD, while paging through the book. Then I'd listen again. Then watch the film. Then repeat a hundred or so times.

Ideally, I'd be listening to NLOTH right now instead of talking to you. :wink:

Really? The Stones sure have been on the cutting edge huh?

Yes, point taken, but to compare U2 with the Stones is completely unwarranted.

I have no respect for a touring band coasting on what they did in the 1960s and 70s(which was not all that great or unique) that charges $350 for tickets or whatever the f it was last time out. They dont even try to release good work now. As for U2? ATYCLB and Bomb, despite what we over critical types here say, and I count myself among these at some times, are 2 of U2's most succesful, commercially and critically. They contain BD, Kite, Walk On, Vertigo, OOTS, Sometimes, COBL, Crumbs, well liked songs even by our ridiculous standards.

U2 still cares about quality output, the Stones just care about touring and making money. They dont want to innovate. U2 is alone in history in terms of still seeking to change their sound and set the standard in their work. Yes, old generally does not innovate as far as rock goes, but what I am saying is U2 can not be placed in the "old band" category, despite their ages. They share nothing in common with other old acts.

Despite what people might think of Boots, I am sure we could all picture Coldplay sitting around going "oh, shit, how are we going to copy this?"

actually, ideally it will leak tomorrow.

Bugger the book and the DVD (although they will be nice in late feb/march) I just want the album now

actually, ideally it will leak tomorrow.

Bugger the book and the DVD (although they will be nice in late feb/march) I just want the album now

Same here. 4+ years is enough, thank you.

And yes, I did my part and pre-ordered the digipack edition of NLOTH yesterday. Here's to Linear being worth the extra $15.

With all due respect for your opinions, I do feel GOYB is unique and U2 are continuing to alter the mainstream.

Look at the top downloads on iTunes. Look at the top songs on Billboard. I hear nothing like GOYB on them. New bands like Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Fall Out Boy, The Killers, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, etc., are heavily - HEAVILY - influenced by U2. At times, I've often felt U2 could have written some of the songs these bands have produce and in fact, there have been times when I've heard people comment about a "new U2 song" only to later realize it's from Coldplay or another band!

When U2 comes up with a "Mysterious Ways" or "Vertigo" or "Beautiful Day", they are making a stamp on what can succeed in the rock world. Bands then use that general sound, but with their own style. It's thanks, in part, to U2 that the bands I mentioned above had had success. Coldplay, Snow Patrol and The Killers (amongst other bands) have often mentioned U2 in their interviews and comments. They know what U2 is - they are the leaders in innovative yet commercially successful rock sounds. These bands are trying to overtake U2, but just as they think they can, U2 changes their sound and the process starts all over.

When I listen to radio, I don't hear songs like GOYB. I didn't hear songs like "Vertigo". I didn't hear songs like "Discotheque" or "Beautiful Day" either. U2 has always found a way to create a catchy song that stands out amongst the other music. The song becomes a hit, partly because it sounds like nothing else out there. When Culture Club and similar bands dominated in '83/'84, U2 came along with songs like "New Year's Day" and "Pride" - completely different in sound, yet hit songs. When Bon Jovi, Debbie Gibson and Michael Jackson ruled in '86/'87, U2 came out with JT, songs that were completely different, yet big hits. When grunge dominate the early 90's, U2 had AB and "Zooropa", where they stood out. When the Spice Girls and Hanson had cute pop songs in '97 (and I like Hanson - talented young men who are sadly known for one song), U2's "Pop" showed a wide array of style. "Beautiful Day" dominated in an era of Britney Spears and boy bands. "Vertigo" ruled in an era of R&B/rap duets. U2 have always found a niche, something that shows they are different, that their sound can find a place on the charts. And as a result, new rock bands notice and create their own version of that sound.

I recall an interview where Edge's daughter commented that nothing on HTDAAB sounded like anything on the radio. She feared the album would flop. We all know the result. U2 push the mainstream by not sounding like it.

So to me, that's fucking up the mainstream. That's being a leader.

Some of you say that GOYB is "Vertigo - Part 2". I don't hear it. Yes, it's a faster song, but with far more layers and nowhere near the "catchiness" of "Vertigo". Keep in mind U2 will always have an inherent U2 song. It's why WOWY, "One" and "Stay" have similar sounds, yet still unique. GOYB is nothing like I've heard from U2 in the past. Similar sounds? Sure, but the same song? Never.

And as a result, I think we'll see a new wave of songs from other artists sounding a bit similar to GOYB and other tracks from NLOTH in the future.

Superb post!! Great, great analysis! THANK YOU for injecting some sense into this! :up::up:

When I go to the gym at school, I listen to what they have on the radio there. I dont do the whole I pod to work out thing, I cant keep the damn things in my ears for one, but more importantly, I always feel tuned out to the world around me and rude when I have headphones on in public. It gives off the whole "dont talk to me" vibe. So for those reasons and to semi keep up with the times, however bad they happen to be in terms of "hit music," I listen to the top 40 station they usually have on there. Of course, as we all know, top 40 now means rap crap with the occasional catchy and VERY rare decent song(full disclosure- I will admit to loving Chris Brown's 'forever'). Its all rap/r and b shit that all the people my age and in High School LOVE. We are talking white upper middle class/lower affluent suburban New England types at my school. I ask about new music/new albums, and my white roomate from New Hampshire starts talking about Kayne West. U2 sounds nothing like any of the crap that passes for popular music today, and that is what I have been trying to get the ATYCLB/Bomb haters to understand. They did not go all Britney Spears, they broke the Britney Spears mold of the times, and thats why they were heard on radio alongside it.

Great post, one of the best I have read in a while here!

how can you state that it is, like its fact.

Watch Dead poet's Society, a poem cannot be graphed dude.

I would rank Zoo Station, EBTTRT, One, UTEOTW, MW, So Cruel, Acrobat, Ultraviolet AND Love is Blindness higher than the Fly

Love is Blindness, UTEOTW and Ultraviolet at a minimum are better than the Fly. Believe me, I love the fly as much as anyone, the end of the Elevation Boston performance of it is my wallpaper and has been for quite some time, but lets look at all of AB objectively.

Yeah funny how Radioheads forum website are liking the new single (I'd say 75% posts positive) and Murmurs, REMs fans site are hating the single (probably 95% negative). So it seems based on that then U2's new single is obviously more alternative. Some saying that its more Pop era. On Murmurs theres posts saying its embarassing how U2 are trying to be hip and falling flat on their faces. Other posts saying yeah at least REM are trying to do something different (yeah whats that, create crap music). Have REM made a decent album in the last 10 years? Hard to think of any. Anyway thats another story.

Other posts saying yeah at least REM are trying to do something different (yeah whats that, create crap music). Have REM made a decent album in the last 10 years? Hard to think of any. Anyway thats another story.

:lol:

Yeah REM gets help from U2 to have Jacknife Lee to produce the album and it's just a hard rocking piece of egg fart smelling liquid evacuations.

REM fans and REM have always looked at U2 this way so it seems nothing has changed. I remember remarks like that with Discotheque and the whole POP album.

Yeah funny how Radioheads forum website are liking the new single (I'd say 75% posts positive) and Murmurs, REMs fans site are hating the single (probably 95% negative). So it seems based on that then U2's new single is obviously more alternative. Some saying that its more Pop era. On Murmurs theres posts saying its embarassing how U2 are trying to be hip and falling flat on their faces. Other posts saying yeah at least REM are trying to do something different (yeah whats that, create crap music). Have REM made a decent album in the last 10 years? Hard to think of any. Anyway thats another story.

This is why I have become a bigger fan of Radiohead than R.E.M.

Well in all fairness, that's just zealot REM fans that still think of REM as a band that plays in college student centers. REM itself is a great band.

Well in all fairness, that's just zealot REM fans that still think of REM as a band that plays in college student centers. REM itself is a great band.

:yes: :yes:

And Accelerate and Around the Sun are great, btw. :heart:

Oddly, "Hope" is my favorite song of theirs. I can admit that I have preferred most of their music from pre-Monster, but I love that song.

Oddly, "Hope" is my favorite song of theirs. I can admit that I have preferred most of their music from pre-Monster, but I love that song.

Up is one of the most underrated albums I've heard of. I don't get all the hate that it and Around the Sun get.

Yeah, I still really like REM, but their fans are kinda… lost. Just read the atease thread. The reaction seems great, without a doubt the most positive thread/comments section I’ve seen on the song.

One thing that seems to be common among all of these other sites - it really seems to be connecting with people who hate the Bomb. Great stuff and welcome back everyone. :wave:

One thing that seems to be common among all of these other sites - it really seems to be connecting with people who hate the Bomb. Great stuff and welcome back everyone. :wave:

Haha, yeah. The '80s zealots are crying in their beer, but most of the '90s fans are rejoicing right now, like me, for instance.

I like Bomb a bit but its still good to hear that people who hated it like Boots. Well some anyway.

I think thats whats positive about boots for me... it seems to be satisfying all types of fans (distinct from all actual fans).

People who are only fans of the 80's fell of the wagon a long time agi. 90's fans are hanging in, and look to be rewarded. 00's fans will find a lot to relate to on this record.

win-win

Haha, yeah. The '80s zealots are crying in their beer, but most of the '90s fans are rejoicing right now, like me, for instance.

See, the thing about this is that I never drew the connection between the last two albums and the 80s albums like UF or JT. If anything I've always thought they were more like the early 80s albums with the whole heart-on-the-sleeve bit that I never really cared for. JT and certainly UF were pretty experimental or "open-ended" or whatever you want to call it in their own way. To me there's a pretty obvious strand of DNA running from UF -- Zooropa.

I think the transition from War to UF is nearly as shocking as R&H--->Achtung Baby. Well, Wire and Indian Summer Sky feel a bit like War to me, but it was otherwise pretty foreign for the band.

I guess the way I'd phrase it is that in the 90s they were more comfortable or accepting about experimentation. So it became more obvious. The whole run from UF - Passengers accounts for 99% of the U2 I listen to. I used to listen to Boy and October a lot when I was in college, but I've never really liked War. I don't have it on my iPod and I don't really miss it. The songs that I like on Pop I like a lot, but something about that one makes me get the idea that they were uncomfortable making that album or something. It's inconsistent.

I think the transition from War to UF is nearly as shocking as R&H--->Achtung Baby. Well, Wire and Indian Summer Sky feel a bit like War to me, but it was otherwise pretty foreign for the band.

Man, War - UF is like two different bands to me. The whole production and vibe are black and white.

I think thats whats positive about boots for me... it seems to be satisfying all types of fans (distinct from all actual fans).

People who are only fans of the 80's fell of the wagon a long time agi. 90's fans are hanging in, and look to be rewarded. 00's fans will find a lot to relate to on this record.

win-win

I am part of those "90s fans" although I like basically anything by them (U2), who cares about the 80s fans. :wink:

Man, War - UF is like two different bands to me. The whole production and vibe are black and white.

I agree. I think there's a few different U2s out there in terms of sound:

Boy-War
UF-R&H (and some AB)
AB (the parts that stuck out from the 80s)-Passengers
Pop-HTDAAB (I've put pop here largely because of production - sounds completely different from AB in my books)
(hopefully)NLOTH-

I'm going to say 4-6 days before the Japan release.

If its the same as HTDAAB, which was over 2 full weeks prior to the official date, we are looking at the 15th/16th of Feb.

Granted security will be tighter because of that, but unlike the single, these things need to actually be pressed and packaged, so the chances of a leak are huge.

Might not happen that early, but I think itll be close to then.

Lets say it happens on the tuesday (18th)

That means we have 27 days (HOLY SHIT!)

the other things that makes it easier is that once you get to that day, your thinking chages from "i hope it leaks :hyper:" to "only a week elft, if it leaks I hear it now, but if not, only a week :hyper:"

Any time it drops will just be out of the blue.
very excited

Back
Top Bottom