Does the album meet or exceed your expectations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Does the new album meet, not meet, or exceed your expectations?

• Total voters

rantor49

The Fly
There should be a poll whether the new album meets, exceeds or fails to meet your expectations of NLOTH. I know it exceeds mine. Fantastic stuff. I don't know how to make a poll though :doh:

exceeded, without a doubt, i joined up after years of lurking to rip boots a new asshole, now i've warmed even to that song. I just posted this thought in another thread but i think it fits here as well...

one of the coolest things about this album is that there are sounds and would be hooks on it that aren't memorable, unlike bomb, where you got the impression every nuance was scrutinized without end. I really think the guys just told to eno and lan. to do whatever the fuck they want to it, as i'm sure they've been begging to do for years now. Now that I've said that, I'm looking forward to the times in the future where i hear something new, or appreciate something because it's not too perfect.

I need more time to listen to this GOD DAMN ALBUM!

I CAN'T DECIDE IN A DAY!

So far no. But I bet listening to the album in non-compressed format over a month will change my mind.

It not only exceeds my expectations, but blows them out of the water. All I wanted was something a bit better than the last two albums. This slays them. I truly didn't think U2 still had this in them - or more to the point, I didn't think they had the mindset to find this in themselves.

I cracked under all the pressure, and listened... I'd say it exceeded my expectations. I really thought this would be the "3rd" in a trilogy, but it doesn't remind me of ATYCLB or HTDAAB. I'm looking forward to getting the physical copy even more now. :up:

It meeted my incredibly high expectations of being in my U2 top 3. For now, at least.

Exceeded.

The songs, as individual packages, I'm not sure, too soon to tell.
The album as a novel, absolutely, this is an artist's album.
U2 haven't done this for a very long time. They've seemed to have been focused on coming up with singles. This is not an album of singles.
It's an album of U2.

So far it's what I had pretty much expected based on the samples and reviews. Which is to say I'm happy with it. It will take time for this to sink in. I know it took me maybe 10 years to "get" Zooropa, which is now one of my favorites.

Exceeded.

The songs, as individual packages, I'm not sure, too soon to tell.
The album as a novel, absolutely, this is an artist's album.
U2 haven't done this for a very long time. They've seemed to have been focused on coming up with singles. This is not an album of singles.
It's an album of U2.

Perfect. That's exactly what I'm feeling... This thing is epic. It take you to so many places...

Far exceeds my expectations....:applaud:

In general, it exceeded my expectations.
I didn't expect Magnificent to make me cry. I've heard the song 22 times now, it's still incredibly good, and probably top five U2 material. I didn't expect that. I didn't think U2 could make music on the level of Achtung Baby anymore.
I also thought that there had to be at least one song I didn't like on there. There isn't. Stand Up Comedy feels slightly forced, but each time the Bono sings "Come on ye people" I forget about that. This is the first album since Achtung Baby to not have a boring song on it. Big props.
No Line on the Horizon (the song itself) is also totally incredible.
"Time is irrelevant, it's not linear - then she put her tongue in my ear" - that lyric still gets me every time: It's the sort of spine-chilling joyous melancholy that only U2 can make me feel. I love it.
I still feel I like it more than Joshua Tree. Yes, I was blown away, actually. I can't believe that this is the same U2 that made Window in the Skies 2 years ago. I actually thought it was going downhill. But nooooo. This is why U2 is greatest band in the world. I don't care about personal taste: No band have challenged themselves like U2 have, whilst still maintain such a high quality. Joshua Tree is 22 years ago, and still, STILL, they're making timeless classics. No Line On The Horizon is a fucking miracle.
To summarize: It exceeded my expectations.

Back
Top Bottom