Did U2 want it to leak? - Album to stream on My Space - ARTICLES REGARDING THE LEAK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whatever happened to MySpace?? Only GOYB is streaming. I think EW received some mis-information or got so excited they heard streaming online and immediately assumed MySpace when in fact it is U2.com? Oh well. The U2 stream does sound nice, definite quality difference vs. Leak #1 (@256)

The complete album is available for streaming on U2's myspace. I just listened to a few tracks.

Stand Up Comedy I think.

I think that one's closest. I think it should've been the lead single. I think leaking the album (if they did) had a bigger positive impact though then releasing SUC quickly would have. It's a fantastic song, but not on par with BD or Vertigo as far as mass appeal potential.

btw, Any other SUC fans that think there was a big edge solo edited out at approximately the 2:57 mark? The "Soul Rock.." sounds pro tooled in.. I hope there's an extended mix out there..

The Leak: Did Last.fm Just Hand Over User Listening Data To the RIAA?

Did Last.fm Just Hand Over User Listening Data To the RIAA?

Did Last.fm Just Hand Over User Listening Data To the RIAA?

That leaked U2 album is causing all sorts of trouble. The unreleased album, which is due out on March 3, found its way onto BitTorrent and was downloaded hundreds of thousands of times. That, apparently, sent music industry lawyers over at the Recording Industry Association of America into a fit. As a result, word is going around that the RIAA asked social music service Last.fm for data about its user’s listening habits to find people with unreleased tracks on their computers. And Last.fm, which is owned by CBS, actually handed the data over to the RIAA. According to a tip we received:

I heard from an irate friend who works at CBS that last.fm recently provided the RIAA with a giant dump of user data to track down people who are scrobbling unreleased tracks. As word spread numerous employees at last.fm were up in arms because the data collected (a) can be used to identify individuals and (b) will likely be shared with 3rd parties that have relationships with the RIAA.

i'm inherently suspicious of anyone with one post who turns up to post something like this.

after all, wasn't the leak pointed out by someone with one post who hasn't been heard from since?

Us quiet ones are not always the ones to worry about.

Here's the last part of the article:

"Update: Some more denials from Last.FMers, including one of the co-founders, Richard Jones, in comments, who says this story is “utter nonsense and totally untrue,” and another one from Russ Garrett, a systems architect."

I think that one's closest. I think it should've been the lead single. I think leaking the album (if they did) had a bigger positive impact though then releasing SUC quickly would have. It's a fantastic song, but not on par with BD or Vertigo as far as mass appeal potential.

btw, Any other SUC fans that think there was a big edge solo edited out at approximately the 2:57 mark? The "Soul Rock.." sounds pro tooled in.. I hope there's an extended mix out there..

Yeah. I could see Edge's solo being longer. It almost has a Bullet the Blue Sky feel to it. Hopefully he will extend it when they play it live. This song would have worked as a first single I think. It may not have the mass appeal like Beautiful Day had but it would have shown people that U2 were heading in a new direction on this album.

Plus if that happened, what's the point of a) releasing the album to radio or b) releasing it on MySpace ?

I assume the thinking is that if you make it easy for people to stream the album, they won't go to the trouble of tracking down a torrent and will ultimately be more likely to buy the album.

I'm not saying that I agree with this; just the only logic that seems to make any sense.

Hopefully, everyone understands that U2 doesn't make much money on the CDs. For a band like U2, the albums are just promotions for their tours.

So, let's say U2 makes $2.50 off of each CD, and they sell 5M this year, and 5M more for the rest of their lives... that $25M, not too shabby.

But how much more money do they make off of their tours? probably $150M, and putting out a good album just ensures a good tour. So, if they sell 1M less albums because of streaming the music on myspace, they'll make up for it in people that get turned on to U2's back catalog, and buy tickets to see their tour, and subscribe to their website.

Hopefully, everyone understands that U2 doesn't make much money on the CDs. For a band like U2, the albums are just promotions for their tours.

So, let's say U2 makes $2.50 off of each CD, and they sell 5M this year, and 5M more for the rest of their lives... that $25M, not too shabby.

But how much more money do they make off of their tours? probably $150M, and putting out a good album just ensures a good tour. So, if they sell 1M less albums because of streaming the music on myspace, they'll make up for it in people that get turned on to U2's back catalog, and buy tickets to see their tour, and subscribe to their website.

You're forgetting U2 probably get a 10 if not more million advance on each CD. So they do get a lot more than 2.50 from each CD. But yeah U2 will make a lot more from touring

I picture it this way. U2 figured the album would leak no matter what. It was just a matter of when. They put Larry in charge of monitoring the fansites so that they could be aware when the leak actually happened. By this last Tuesday, McGuinness gets a call from Larry saying,

"look this bloody thing has not leaked yet :angry: and I think the "leak" thread on Interference is about to start with the fucking Leak Puns again which I cannot take anymore :crack:. Please call one of your contacts at Universal and tell them to please give these people something else to obsess over. We need to help this leak along." :crazy:

McGuiness says "okay no problem. I think I even have a way for them to pay for it. :happy: "

:lol:

NLTOH a big hit on Pirate Bay!

According to El Pais, a Spanish news paper, NLTOH is a big hit at the moment on Pirate Bay, being number 4 on the top downloads, despite (or perhaps because of) not being released.

El ?ltimo disco de U2, ?xito en las redes P2P ? ELPA?S.com

I'm not very sure what can be done against this, although I hope it will translate into actual sales when the album comes out!

Santiago

Errr... I get a feeling my post was misinterpreted when it was moved here.

As there has been quite a lot of debate about whether the album would be commercially successful or not (chart positions of GOYB, etc...), I wanted to point out that according to El Pais it is quite successful already in P2P networks.

So I think this belongs more on "where the album has a name" than here, but oh well..

Back
Top Bottom