Did Trump weaken SOE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how do you not see that Trump is "a corrupt con man with a history of severe sexual harassment and assault, who ran a campaign riddled with blatant racism and xenophobia?"

- he bragged about being a sexual predator
- there are several accusations of sexual assault and harassment, including against teenage girls
- his cons, such as running a fraudulent school for which he was fined $25 million, have been documented for decades
- if you don't see the racism and xenophobia in something like proposing that all Muslims be registered and the way he talks about violence committed by Muslims and black people compared to violence committed by white people...you know, I know a guy who thinks that the Nazis weren't anti-Jew.

I am not trying to insult trump supporters but for the life of me I can’t understand how anyone can support him. Really I can’t, that is the honest truth. How can one support someone who defends Moore yet rips on democrats doing the exactly same thing as Moore. And the list of things trump does and says is too big for me to discuss here. But alas this should be a conversation for the politics thread in FYM so I’ll just leave it at that. Sorry for being off topic.

Last edited:
I’m here to discuss music, and no I didn’t vote for Trump, but I also didn’t vote for Hillary or Bernie cause to me they are all worthless cons, but I would hope that personal attacks would be checked at the door on Interference, even if folks disagree on the big three”sex, politics, and religion “.

the disagreements with Trump go beyond ”sex, politics, and religion"and to racism, sexism, criminal activity, and possibly treason. He's a (given) reason the album was delayed, so he's going to be talked about.

Well that’s fine, but The first post in this thread requested that it not become a political debate, there’s another place for that. But again, my point was discussing Trump is one thing, but personally attacking someone because they have different political beliefs than you seems uncool to me

Haha!! I could certainly hold my own there, man! I read it, but I’m not here for that!:lol:

how do you not see that Trump is "a corrupt con man with a history of severe sexual harassment and assault, who ran a campaign riddled with blatant racism and xenophobia?"

- he bragged about being a sexual predator
- there are several accusations of sexual assault and harassment, including against teenage girls
- his cons, such as running a fraudulent school for which he was fined $25 million, have been documented for decades
- if you don't see the racism and xenophobia in something like proposing that all Muslims be registered and the way he talks about violence committed by Muslims and black people compared to violence committed by white people...you know, I know a guy who thinks that the Nazis weren't anti-Jew.

This my friend is the situation. This does not matter to a Trump voter. There is no rationalizing with them. The conversation always ends with “would you rather have crooked Hillary in office?”

"Overbloated" certainly could have an element of Trump influence to it. "Overthought," probably not.

one interesting way to look at it i think is that they're bashing someone with zero past experience in politics on an album that's titled SONGS OF EXPERIENCE :hmm:

The song that seems most to be a response to Trump, American Soul, is definitely the weakest link on an otherwise fantastic album. While I can see some lyrical references in Blackout, the song mostly seems to be about the band (IMO obviously).

Sooo... I guess, "yes"? :tsk:

I'd say the answer is clearly "yes"...they worked more on the record and overcooking tends to spoil the U2 broth lately. I also don't think the lyrics trying to deal with both the personal/political at the same time are anything but clunky.

I told my girlfriend the other day how it's kind of weird that there's a lot of art being created, such as this album, focusing on a Presidency that could be done for in months or perhaps three years from now. The world is ultimately going to make it out of this pretty unscathed (barring nuclear war) and the inevitable Democratic presidency that follows (hopefully a progressive one for a change) can undo most of what the ogre has done.

Hell, Trump isn't even as remotely bad as Bush because the incompetency of this administration prohibits it from being as effective at getting its policy wants completed while Trump himself is his own worst enemy when it comes to elections as the anger he incites comes back to bite him in the rear.

I told my girlfriend the other day how it's kind of weird that there's a lot of art being created, such as this album, focusing on a Presidency that could be done for in months or perhaps three years from now. The world is ultimately going to make it out of this pretty unscathed (barring nuclear war) and the inevitable Democratic presidency that follows (hopefully a progressive one for a change) can undo most of what the ogre has done.

And did she laugh at you?

Or did she just kindly pat you on the head and say, “ok honey you just keep telling yourself that”?

Um, she agreed with the sentiment that it could end up being an overreaction by these artists if the Trump Presidency barely lasts more than a year.

I'm not even sure just what exactly you disagree with about what I said in that paragraph. Do tell.

Um, she agreed with the sentiment that it could end up being an overreaction by these artists if the Trump Presidency barely lasts more than a year.

I'm not even sure just what exactly you disagree with about what I said in that paragraph. Do tell.

It hasn’t even been a year.

The future of healthcare is at risk.

White supremacy is being normalized.

The decorum held for the highest office is shattered.

We are now a post fact society.

International relationships have been strained.

That’s just the tip.

No matter an impeachment or a full term, there will be long term consequences.

You're basically just saying that the guy is a little crazier than most Republicans when it comes to upholding the standards of the Presidency. It's not like Mike Pence doesn't want to undo Obamacare either. And if Mike Pence were President, we'd basically be normalizing the sort of politician who is arguably more regressive than Donald Trump and more effective at getting his batshit policies passed.

It's really just business as usual except the CEO is a crazy person who says a lot of mean things. Everything you listed can be undone fairly quickly (healthcare would just require the Democrats to control the House again, eventually).

Seems like the far left can see the forest better from the trees compared to those in the political class who were always going to act like the world was ending when their candidate failed to get the job done last November.

Last edited:
There's specific lyrics that deal with Donald Trump, so there definitely is something there and they re-worked the lyrics in response to his election.

But I just wonder if, say, Mike Pence were President and doing all the same shit but not having Twitter tirades and ignoring reality if U2 would even really care to comment. They invited the corporate Clintons into their lives and it backfired tremendously when they went all in against Trump last fall. Millions of Africans getting aid couldn't outweigh Bono's ego.

Back
Top Bottom