Did the new version of Red Hill Mining Town leak out yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe the threads today. I can't close my browser and make the trolls go away. How long, how long must we whine about this song?

Well, here we are, the posters of Interference. U2 fans have been coming to Interference for years going back to the great Dot-com bubble of the late 90s/early 2000s, some of them starving for information when other media outlets couldn't care less. Right up to today, you know, there are more posters who care about what U2 are doing than ever and want to hear new music, illegal and legal. A lot of them are just killing time like today, on a Tuesday morning.

Yeah, let's keep the political bickering to FYM, please.

fair enough. but it's pretty hard in my view to discuss the re-released RHMT without acknowledging the obvious disconnect between the song's original message and the present reality (both our political reality and the lame pretense behind the JT30 Tour).

unfortunately, some people here don't like that, so they start throwing the term troll out there. That is weak and lazy. But not really surprising.

Well, here we are, the posters of Interference. U2 fans have been coming to Interference for years going back to the great Dot-com bubble of the late 90s/early 2000s, some of them starving for information when other media outlets couldn't care less. Right up to today, you know, there are more posters who care about what U2 are doing than ever and want to hear new music, illegal and legal. A lot of them are just killing time like today, on a Tuesday morning.

This is the best post in this thread

I'm glad this thread now has a positive claim to Interference immortality, as well as its many less salubrious moments.

Woah, careful now, don't say something you might regret until you have THE FACTS.

So the song automatically downloaded to my iPhone last week cause I preordered the album.

I was outraged that it showed up!!!! Actually, I was pleasantly surprised and thought it was a cool idea of theirs I guess to coincide with the "single release".

Anyway, first listen I didn't like it at all. Bono speaks too slowly during the "we reach so high" part and I feel the timing is off in the delivery as there is too long of a pause but perhaps that's me comparing it to the original.

After repeated listens, it's a decent remix and I'm glad they did it. It doesn't tarnish anything or improve on anything, it's a new take on an old song.

Highlight for me is the outro, which is catchy as heck with the horns and the back up singing.

My rating on this remix: 5/10

Oh, and I still LOVE SOI!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

No one is saying it is exactly like it was 30 years ago. But if you are saying TJT has no relevance today, I will strongly disagree. RHMT and other songs on the record are great because they can be interpreted widely and the words applied to different situations. Beyond the immediate interpretation of the small mining community, it is about disenchantment in the wider sense.

To me, Trump's America is a red hill mining town right now. It was desperation among the masses that brought him to power, and they are very unlikely to be rewarded (see healthcare fuck-up) for their hail mary vote.

As an aside, Trump's promise to coal miners is laughable and should never be used as an example of how inappropriate this song is in this context. Even if he does give them work or put them back to work, it will never last. It was a short term political ploy to win key states that will be reversed by the next guy. So they have pretty much been left hanging on to be cut down in the future.

Again, maybe U2 did not consider all this and maybe it is just a naked cash grab. And delaying SOE for Trump is something I cannot agree with. My argument, however, is a separate one. I believe RHMT is the song for the times, now that there is going to be a TJT tour.

Exactly!

It is the absurd, unrealistic promises that are certain to be broken that Trump made to these communities. Thatcher taking away your job versus Trump promising to bring it back only to not deliver isn't all that different to a guy/gal struggling to support themselves and their family.

Coal employs 77,000 people total in the U.S. Advanced manufacturing employs 95,000 just in the Pittsburgh region.

If Trump cared, he'd be pushing that and infrastructure. And he wouldn't be taking miners' black lung care away.

Also, as BVS mentioned, the similarity with Reagan and the 1980s is very clear. It was the same celebrity asshole chest beating no nothing personality. The right wing alternative facts noise machine cut its teeth rewriting history on Reagan. He should get credit for becoming a little. more sane his 2nd term with arms control but that was offset by Iran Contra. I guess you could say he would be genuinely shocked and upset by Trump's Immigration policies, too. While he will and should come out ahead of Trump in history, he was a poor president, not a nice person like people seem to think and is responsible for a lot of what we face today. (Best example: while the old welfare system certainly encouraged dependency and had to be changed, Reagan is responsible for the myth of the rampant welfare queens that continues to this day. He also said all poor people were dieting. In front of a crowd of rich people. Talk like that ended Romney.)

Last edited:
Well, this release undeniably proves something else is on the way...

Acrobat (2021 Mix)

It's just U2 recording in a stadium with a wind tunnel plug in. Limited to 20 copies.

Heard it on the radio while drivign today... it was confusing. I immediately recognised the music, but the voice really threw me off. Then I remembered that there was a new version out. It's not as good as the original for me, but it's acceptable. You do hear quite the difference between the new and old vocal parts tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom