Did the new version of Red Hill Mining Town leak out yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The irony of this RHMT re-release and the whole JT30 Tour is just too much...

The claim that our current political environment is just like it was 30 years ago is such BS. Clearly this is about capitalizing on no$talgia and distracting from what appears to be another failure-to-launch with SOE. (maybe I'll be proven wrong on that)

With respect to RHMT in particular: the song, as everyone here knows, was about the prospect of the mine workers losing their jobs at the hand of big bad Maggie Thatcher. Contrast that situation with Trump being very vocal about wanting to save these jobs in the U.S. and the industry in general (forget for a moment whether that is a good idea or not).

The band will use whatever justifications they want to sell whatever is on their shelf at a given moment. Usually, I am buying. But not this time.

What a farce.

This is coming from the guy that claimed U2 are just NOW speaking out against Reagan and Thatcher. You'd have to be blind to not see the similarities, especially for an outsider looking in.

Is it spin? Sure, somewhat. Who cares? :shrug:

I can find your simple sense of irony in RHMT, but not sure how you're finding the tour ironic.

This is coming from the guy that claimed U2 are just NOW speaking out against Reagan and Thatcher. You'd have to be blind to not see the similarities, especially for an outsider looking in.

Is it spin? Sure, somewhat. Who cares? :shrug:

I can find your simple sense of irony in RHMT, but not sure how you're finding the tour ironic.

you really think that the political environment we are in now, is comparable to the 1980s? I'd love to hear your take on the similarities - specific not generics.

I don't see it myself. All I see is a band that have really struggled to get a new album out the door, who are terrified of becoming irrelevant, and using the Trump election as a convenient excuse to ditch or postpone the new material and go for the pay day.

Now do I think this is a crime? Of course not. In fact, the tour may in the end be a good thing - if it gives them the opportunity to recharge with these live shows, and come back to the SOE material with fresh ears.

But they should just call it what it is and drop the pretense. Adam calling the Reagan/Thatcher days 'scary'. Oh please.

you really think that the political environment we are in now, is comparable to the 1980s? I'd love to hear your take on the similarities - specific not generics.

I don't see it myself. All I see is a band that have really struggled to get a new album out the door, who are terrified of becoming irrelevant, and using the Trump election as a convenient excuse to ditch or postpone the new material and go for the pay day.

Now do I think this is a crime? Of course not. In fact, the tour may in the end be a good thing - if it gives them the opportunity to recharge with these live shows, and come back to the SOE material with fresh ears.

But they should just call it what it is and drop the pretense. Adam calling the Reagan/Thatcher days 'scary'. Oh please.

A celebrity becoming president who's considered extreme, grows military and government while trying to come off small government, ignores and demonizes science, and nationalistic leanings. No you're right, no similarities, not scary, nothing to see here.

Oh please.

A celebrity becoming president who's considered extreme, grows military and government while trying to come off small government, ignores and demonizes science, and nationalistic leanings. No you're right, no similarities, not scary, nothing to see here.

Oh please.

You will see what you want to see.

Yeah, I made this all up.

So, where is the irony of this tour?

The irony comment was more about RHMT, tbh.

My criticism of the tour has more to do with how they have repeatedly tried to justify it because 'the times today are so similar to 30 years ago.' No, they aren't.

The irony comment was more about RHMT, tbh.

My criticism of the tour has more to do with how they have repeatedly tried to justify it because 'the times today are so similar to 30 years ago.' No, they aren't.

Oh, ok...

It's settled then. I think it's funny that you think they're the only ones that have made these parallels.

Last edited:
Adam calling the Reagan/Thatcher days 'scary'. Oh please.

To liberals and progressives, they sure were.

Reagan for one did more damage to this country than any president likely ever will.

Thatcher has been so demonized (and rightfully so) I can't believe you're acting like she's some neutral figure.

Reagan for one did more damage to this country than any president likely ever will.

Thatcher has been so demonized (and rightfully so) I can't believe you're acting like she's some neutral figure.

I honestly believe that most of the problems that the US faces can be traced back to Reagan. Inequality, mass incarceration, the national debt, etc. all got worse after Reagan and his shitty ideas influenced a generation of American conservatives

where did I ever imply Thatcher was not controversial?

I'm a progressive BTW. You'll probably call me a liar now, and insufferable, or accuse me of being someone else...

I honestly believe that most of the problems that the US faces can be traced back to Reagan. Inequality, mass incarceration, the national debt, etc. all got worse after Reagan and his shitty ideas influenced a generation of American conservatives

interesting because much of the BLM movement puts a lot of this at Clinton's doorstep. And rightly so.

But hey, that's an inconvenient narrative, so... move on....

Oh, ok...

It's settled then. I think it's funny that you think they're the only ones that have made these parallels.

I am sure you will be happy to provide a list of people/institutions who have made similar comparisons to the 1980s. But you are missing my point because as usual you seem more interested in proving me wrong. So as a reminder, the point is simply that the band are ridiculous in their rationale for this tour.

Or are you seriously suggesting that if HRC were elected, we'd be talking about the newly released SOE and and the upcoming tour behind it? If you believe that, then all hope is lost my friend.

interesting because much of the BLM movement puts a lot of this at Clinton's doorstep. And rightly so.

But hey, that's an inconvenient narrative, so... move on....

We should take this to FYM, but notice how I said started? Clinton ramped it up dramatically, but Reagan is pretty much the person who instituted mass incarceration policies by ramping up the War on Drugs in 1982. The seeds for mass incarceration were laid earlier by Nixon, but they were greatly accelerated by Reagan when crack hit. The massive growth in prison population begins in the mid 1980s. Clinton ramped it up dramatically but that wasn't the point of my post.

The irony of this RHMT re-release and the whole JT30 Tour is just too much...

The claim that our current political environment is just like it was 30 years ago is such BS. Clearly this is about capitalizing on no$talgia and distracting from what appears to be another failure-to-launch with SOE. (maybe I'll be proven wrong on that)

What a farce.

Amen to that.

I don't even know what this thread is anymore.

It's the cedars of U2.

No one is saying it is exactly like it was 30 years ago. But if you are saying TJT has no relevance today, I will strongly disagree. RHMT and other songs on the record are great because they can be interpreted widely and the words applied to different situations. Beyond the immediate interpretation of the small mining community, it is about disenchantment in the wider sense.

To me, Trump's America is a red hill mining town right now. It was desperation among the masses that brought him to power, and they are very unlikely to be rewarded (see healthcare fuck-up) for their hail mary vote.

As an aside, Trump's promise to coal miners is laughable and should never be used as an example of how inappropriate this song is in this context. Even if he does give them work or put them back to work, it will never last. It was a short term political ploy to win key states that will be reversed by the next guy. So they have pretty much been left hanging on to be cut down in the future.

Again, maybe U2 did not consider all this and maybe it is just a naked cash grab. And delaying SOE for Trump is something I cannot agree with. My argument, however, is a separate one. I believe RHMT is the song for the times, now that there is going to be a TJT tour.

I am sure you will be happy to provide a list of people/institutions who have made similar comparisons to the 1980s. But you are missing my point because as usual you seem more interested in proving me wrong. So as a reminder, the point is simply that the band are ridiculous in their rationale for this tour.

Or are you seriously suggesting that if HRC were elected, we'd be talking about the newly released SOE and and the upcoming tour behind it? If you believe that, then all hope is lost my friend.

And you my friend are just as ridiculous in making this string of posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom