Did the new version of Red Hill Mining Town leak out yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zootvsydney2.jpg

Such a great thread full of snarky comments. I love it.

They wanted it to be a single.

And it wasn't.

They rehearsed it for inclusion in Rattle and Hum and again...no go.

U2 Murfreesboro, 1987-11-28, Charles M. Murphy Athletic Center, Joshua Tree Tour - U2 on tour

:shrug: Every other JT song was done live on that tour.

maybe adam's stubby fingers couldn't play it right? maybe there's a brown note hidden in the song that made edge shit his pants every time they tried it?

all are as feasible as your assumption that bono couldn't sing a song that is easier to sing than the song they did choose to sing instead.

I'd be curious what these remixes will be like.

Will "Streets" be re-arranged to mirror the live arrangement (e.g. replace last chorus with the 2nd one, have "ohhh, ohhh" middle portion)?

I believe it was mentioned that "Running to Stand Still" will have some lap steel courtesy of Lanois.

We've already gotten an idea about "Red Hill Mining Town".

Anyone have predictions for the others?

I predict the remixes will sound like late-2016 U2, be overproduced and inferior to the original album versions. :lol:

I predict the remixes will sound like late-2016 U2, be overproduced and inferior to the original album versions. :lol:

JT, probably more than any other in their cannon, is a landscape album. Change the sonics and you risk losing that. I don't see how they could be improved upon but you never know I guess.

i don't think that putting out alternate versions means that they are trying to compete with the originals.

i don't think that putting out alternate versions means that they are trying to compete with the originals.

So what is, then? Tarnishing their legacy? Grabbing cash? I don't mean to be combative but I seriously am having a hard time seeing much artistic upside or merit otherwise.

considering the fat cash grab this box set is, these new mixes are just about the only artistic upside.

Assuming these will be [like RHMT apart from the new vocal] "alternative" mixes made with just what's on the original tapes, these could be really great! The fact that most of them have been done by people who worked on the album makes me hopeful that that's the case.

For all my whining about the fact the box set is so expensive yet the remix disc has only 6 songs on it, it could be a lot worse. At least they got long time collaborators to (lets hope) give us a chance to hear songs we know inside out a little differently.
Imagine an 80 minute disc full to bursting with "With Or Without You (Chainsmokers Mix)" and other such delights. THAT would be tarnishing their legacy.

considering the fat cash grab this box set is, these new mixes are just about the only artistic upside.

Assuming these will be [like RHMT apart from the new vocal] "alternative" mixes made with just what's on the original tapes, these could be really great! The fact that most of them have been done by people who worked on the album makes me hopeful that that's the case.

For all my whining about the fact the box set is so expensive yet the remix disc has only 6 songs on it, it could be a lot worse. At least they got long time collaborators to (lets hope) give us a chance to hear songs we know inside out a little differently.
Imagine an 80 minute disc full to bursting with "With Or Without You (Chainsmokers Mix)" and other such delights. THAT would be tarnishing their legacy.

Alright, I'll give them a chance. Just please tell me the chorus in the new RHMT mix isn't from the original vocal.

Very well. The chorus in the new RHMT mix isn't from the original vocal.

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with the band, haven't heard the new mix, and didn't attend the recording session for the new vocal. I accept no responsibility for any disappointment or flat out despair felt during your first listen of the new mix.

Very well. The chorus in the new RHMT mix isn't from the original vocal.

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with the band, haven't heard the new mix, and didn't attend the recording session for the new vocal. I accept no responsibility for any disappointment or flat out despair felt during your first listen of the new mix.

:applaud:

So what is, then? Tarnishing their legacy? Grabbing cash? I don't mean to be combative but I seriously am having a hard time seeing much artistic upside or merit otherwise.

When have alternate versions ever been about competing with the original? They don't magically go and change your copy of JT.

When has an alternate version ever tarnished a legacy? This is a silly fear.

If you don't buy it, it can't be a cash grab. Pretty simple.

Artists release alternate versions all the time, they don't have to be ANY of these things.

When have alternate versions ever been about competing with the original? They don't magically go and change your copy of JT.

When has an alternate version ever tarnished a legacy? This is a silly fear.

If you don't buy it, it can't be a cash grab. Pretty simple.

Artists release alternate versions all the time, they don't have to be ANY of these things.

Your logic is so flawed in so many areas that I'm not even going to waste my time.

Maybe U2 just felt like revisiting the material for fun and thought they'd share it with fans. Don't get why it needs to be anything more than that.

Complaining about U2 trying to make money off a re-release is laughable. They've never been shy about being commercial, but hey at least they keep GA tickets affordable.

If you think it's too much, don't buy it. If you're interested to hear the new mixes and think it'd look great in your collection, go nuts. I don't see the big deal.

Complaining about U2 trying to make money off a re-release is laughable. They've never been shy about being commercial, but hey at least they keep GA tickets affordable.

If you think it's too much, don't buy it. If you're interested to hear the new mixes and think it'd look great in your collection, go nuts. I don't see the big deal.
This sort of rational thinking is simply unacceptable.
I need something U2 related to froth at the mouth over and you are just not helping.
:down:

I must have missed where I suggested that the songs weren't for sale.

Originally Posted by mikal
Maybe U2 just felt like revisiting the material for fun and thought they'd share it with fans. Don't get why it needs to be anything more than that.

It's clear you're just being combative for the sake of it as you're contradicting yourself between consecutive posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom