Did the new version of Red Hill Mining Town leak out yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah you guys are right, those chorus vocals are from the original...

Definitely a strange decision, I wonder how it'll sound in full. Hard to complain too much, though – it's a remix for a Limited Edition bundle with a bunch of other remixes + an RSD release.

Edit: "Terrible"?? lol

wow if they really did just leave the chorus vocals (and presumably that would mean the "love slowly stripped away" portion is original as well) as the original then i would say this is a disappointment regardless of how the rest sounds. that misses the entire point of even redoing this in the first place.

i really hope we're wrong about this. :slant:

It's obvious why they abruptly cut it off at the chorus; it's neutered and their media team isn't on board.

I take comfort knowing they're at least having apprehensions on this

It's obvious why they abruptly cut it off at the chorus; it's neutered and their media team isn't on board.

I take comfort knowing they're at least having apprehensions on this
If they were apprehensive then why put out a clip at all? :doh:

I genuinely like it a lot, and I don't think that's the original al chorus vocal that we hear for .5 seconds on the fade out. Certainly not enough to be sure, but definatley not enough for anyone on here to "know"'it's the opposite

It's just a sample, but my first impression is this is a pretty terrible remix / update.

Vocal sounds awful.

I genuinely like it a lot, and I don't think that's the original al chorus vocal that we hear for .5 seconds on the fade out. Certainly not enough to be sure, but definatley not enough for anyone on here to "know"'it's the opposite

Who said know? I said sounds like, and we have quotes in articles of Bono saying they only did the vocals for the verse again.

Do your research ;)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Hard to judge without hearing the whole thing but they should have just left the song alone or made a new acoustic version. There's something about Bono's singing here that brings out the image of his old man/annoying political speak here. Can't point my finger on it but I'm sure some of you know what I mean. That like weird lisp he's developed in interviews. Made me mad listening to it.

Hard to judge without hearing the whole thing but they should have just left the song alone or made a new acoustic version. There's something about Bono's singing here that brings out the image of his old man/annoying political speak here. Can't point my finger on it but I'm sure some of you know what I mean. That like weird lisp he's developed in interviews. Made me mad listening to it.

Can't tell if joking or not. If serious, I think that acoustic would have been interesting, but this place would have gone into meltdown mode.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

i heard it and it sounds great! i wish we could hear the "i'm hanging on" part that was cut off in the video.

wow if they really did just leave the chorus vocals (and presumably that would mean the "love slowly stripped away" portion is original as well) as the original then i would say this is a disappointment regardless of how the rest sounds. that misses the entire point of even redoing this in the first place.

i really hope we're wrong about this. :slant:

Agreed. I don't get it.

Who said know? I said sounds like, and we have quotes in articles of Bono saying they only did the vocals for the verse again.

Care to provide that source?

That mix sounds horrible though. I listened through headphones and it's so muddy. I can't wait to hear the final version in higher quality audio.

The horns are unnecessary and detract from the fact Bono's actually delivering an unexpectedly good vocal. I definitely thought he'd sound much worse than this. Now I'm actually curious to hear the full thing, when beforehand my expectation was of forgettable rubbish.

I'm trying to hear what part of the vocal people are saying is from the original....the chorus (what chorus, how can you even tell??)..or the pre-chorus (and you leave me holding on)??

Because of what is discernible in that audio, there is no original lead vocal. That's all modern Bono, sorry.

And where is redhill now anyways? :lol:

I think they'll go pre-recorded chorus on the tour. 2017 Bono singing with 87 Bono.

IMO, production-wise, that is a perfect 1m15s realisation of where U2 have been going wrong in the studio of late. All the atmosphere of the original gone. Too obvious and too forced.

Last edited:
I'm trying to hear what part of the vocal people are saying is from the original....the chorus (what chorus, how can you even tell??)..or the pre-chorus (and you leave me holding on)??

"Hangin' on..." That's the chorus. And the clip fades right as it starts, so we're unable to tell if it's old or new.

I think they'll go pre-recorded chorus on the tour. 2017 Bono singing with 87 Bono.

That would sure be disheartening.

Couldn't they just tune it down a step for Bono to sing more easily on the tour? They've done it with a few songs, including the Miracle and Every Breaking Wave. If they can do it for their most recent album, I'm sure they can be forgiven for doing it with a 30-year old song.

The horns are unnecessary and detract from the fact Bono's actually delivering an unexpectedly good vocal. I definitely thought he'd sound much worse than this. Now I'm actually curious to hear the full thing, when beforehand my expectation was of forgettable rubbish.

I agree, it's actually a lot better than I had expected, Red Hill Mining Town is one of my all time U2 faves and I was a bit concerned at how this version would be, but I like what I've heard so far.

However I do fear there maybe a cacophony of horns near the end!

Bono's vocal is pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom