Did the new version of Red Hill Mining Town leak out yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow.

Not a huge fan of the Kendrick Lamar song... but this?

I can get behind this - hell, even the new vocal take is quite something.

How cool would it be to see Bono sing a duet with a Bono '87 hologram on TJT30

Just heard it. While the original is still the original. This is a nice alternative. Captures the spirit of JT and time capsule for the shows this summer.

I will say this. U2 fans are damn lucky to have a singer who turns 57 soon and sound like that. Bono sounds really good & will probably be more tour ready than IE Tour.

Lillywhite confirmed in a tweet the he recorded Bono's voice this year.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That is obviously just verses - if you are taking about the chorus, then yes - it has been confirmed they are original vocal takes

Chorus is 87?

Yes. That was strongly alluded to by Lillywhite in the original tweet, and confirmed not long ago. It's clear that all but the final run through the chorus are slightly differently mixed versions of the album vocal take. The final chorus/outro sounds like an alternate ending take in 87 voice but it is possible it is from 2017 (though unlikely).

Yes. That was strongly alluded to by Lillywhite in the original tweet, and confirmed not long ago. It's clear that all but the final run through the chorus are slightly differently mixed versions of the album vocal take. The final chorus/outro sounds like an alternate ending take in 87 voice but it is possible it is from 2017 (though unlikely).

Wait, so you think the outro is 87 as well? I admit I've only given it one listen, so I'm genuinely curious.

I think it might be an alternate take. He nails the sound of it if it is new - as in the tone of the 87 voice, to a level I think he is just incapable of now. Not saying he can't hit the note, but he can't sound like he did when he was 26. It sounds a bit less polished, which makes it sound to me like a scrapped vocal from the time. Could be wrong though.

I think it might be an alternate take. He nails the sound of it if it is new - as in the tone of the 87 voice, to a level I think he is just incapable of now. Not saying he can't hit the note, but he can't sound like he did when he was 26. It sounds a bit less polished, which makes it sound to me like a scrapped vocal from the time. Could be wrong though.

I think you're right :up:

is it streaming anywhere? want to avoid downloading if i can...

the outro sounds like it's from 87 too. I like how they applied echo to the last few lines of the verse vocals to smooth the transition into the chorus voice. that chorus is huge in the original version but hearing 1987 Bono explode out of 2017 Bono is staggering.

I like the increased focus on guitars in the new version. I doubt I'll listen to it many times but it's interesting. I don't think it was wise of them to provide an A/B comparison of Bono's voice though. It's not all that impressive anymore, at least not in that register. He's got to go low.

I don't know if anyone noticed this or has mentioned it...

I got the Vinyl rip from one of the MU links, and listened to track. Clearly a vinyl rip with hiss and clicks.

I added it to my iTunes library (I have iTunes Match and Apple Music). Then, when I played the song on my phone I noticed the hiss and clicks were gone. At first, I thought it was just the earpods and me being on the street. But when I came home I deleted the song from my laptop (the song stays in the cloud) and to my surprise, IT IS a different file with no hiss or clicks! It's a clean mp3 file straight from the master.

I recommend anyone with iTunes Match try it.

Sorry if it had been mentioned before.

The outro is definitely 87 Bono as well, albeit a different take than the album version as Dan said. No matter how well he can still sing, Bono's voice is just much thinner now, so there's zero chance of the outro being present day Bono.

On the one hand, the music is a lot less subdued than the original. Way more going on here in terms of background vocals, loudness, and of course, the horns.

On the other hand, Bono's vocal is more somber but doesn't lose anything in its emotional appeal. It's just...different. Restraint being used as a powerful weapon. Ultimately, it sounds great and is a wonderful mirror image of the original and I'm sure Bono will do a great job live with this number. :up:

Love the new remix! No need to compare it to the original; it's a nice new take that's very enjoyable.

Agreed. I like it also, and I normally have no use for remixes. But I've already listened to this one twice, which is twice as many times as I've listened to their other remixes.

Really nice arrangement. It can't touch the original of course, but it's got something going.

I really enjoyed it. To me the transition between the two Bonos was obvious but I doubt the average person would know. That is if the average person even knew Red Hill Mining Town at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom