Did the new version of Red Hill Mining Town leak out yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In all fairness, the band never came out and said that they re recorded the chorus. So technically the "put their money where their mouth is".

Do you need a band statement saying "yes we will re-record the entire song, not just the verses?" ?

It's obvious what we all expected. Full song vocal rerecording as had happened with SweetestThing in 1998, or Blow your house down in 2011. We had no reason to assume the chorus would be untouched. It's well put together but it still sticks out, and will have the unknowing Average Joe on JT30 letdown when 2017 Bono is...adjusting the chorus.

Good to see the 2:0 strike the band hit with the naysayers. The Lamar collabo and now this.

Do you need a band statement saying "yes we will re-record the entire song, not just the verses?" ?

It's obvious what we all expected. Full song vocal rerecording as had happened with SweetestThing in 1998, or Blow your house down in 2011. We had no reason to assume the chorus would be untouched. It's well put together but it still sticks out, and will have the unknowing Average Joe on JT30 letdown when 2017 Bono is...adjusting the chorus.

Good to see the 2:0 strike the band hit with the naysayers. The Lamar collabo and now this.

Obvious what we all expected? Lillywhite tweeted months ago that it was only the verses. If you expected anything else you ignored the evidence and lied to yourself

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

...the fuck?

That's exactly what he was speaking to in the tweet. Did you even read it?

Seriously. That has to be one of the most illiterate replies I've ever seen on this forum. Saying that "he could get a better feel to the verses" by extension means Bono thought the chorus is fine as it is and didn't need a re-do.

It's well put together but it still sticks out, and will have the unknowing Average Joe on JT30 letdown when 2017 Bono is...adjusting the chorus.

Oh, because Bono definitely hasn't "adjusted" the chorus of Pride, SBS, ISHFWILF, WOWY, etc. for years. There isn't exactly a tidal wave of let-down complaints from unknowing Average Joes about that.

And the chorus isn't 'untouched' - they've removed a lot of the space and echoey effects around the vocal - it's more raw now, and accentuates certain characteristics in his voice that are now more prominent.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Make it a three-way disagreement including BVS and it likely would never end.

Needs a fourth person spouting random billboard boxscore stats from the 80s that everyone's ignoring.

The new mix is not terrible mostly because the song itself is so great.

It's always fun to hear different takes on a song, but this version doesn't really add much worthwhile; mostly some unneeded horns and other small touches.

Overall, I think it's 'fine' but doubt I'll revisit very often.

Man, Edge's guitar in the second verse is brought out quite a bit. Kind of cool.

The new mix is not bad at all. I like what they did with the ending, but obviously the original is so much better. Will be interesting to see how they perform this in a few weeks.

I never bought the assumption that the reason they never played this song live was b/c Bono couldn't hit the notes. I mean, maybe he couldn't, but has this ever been confirmed by the band, or anyone close to them?

Maybe they just soured on the song. Maybe they were embarrassed by the video (and rightly so). Maybe it didn't fit in the setlist. Maybe Larry wasn't on board with playing it, who knows?

Last edited:
They've said that the arrangement was too complicated to play live. The vocals weren't the problem, it was the music.

Not bad. Not better than the original by a long shot. I just listened to it once, and probably won't listen to it ever again. Same as the Best Of versions of Gone, Discotheque, Numb, I just don't acknowledge them.

Still a great song and the new mix is a fun alternate, but I have to say, comparing this to the original really makes it evident all the ways that U2 is so much of a lesser group now than they were 30 years ago. Which maybe isn't so much a knock on how they are now and more a reminder of how out of this world amazing they were back in the 80s.

Interested to hear the other new mixes.

I like it. It's much better than I thought it would be when I heard they were re-jiggering it.

The horns are kind of pointless - that's my only nitpick. Bono sounds great.

Still a great song and the new mix is a fun alternate, but I have to say, comparing this to the original really makes it evident all the ways that U2 is so much of a lesser group now than they were 30 years ago. Which maybe isn't so much a knock on how they are now and more a reminder of how out of this world amazing they were back in the 80s.

Interested to hear the other new mixes.
Best new mix in ages. Bono sounds great. Looking forward to the new tour and new album. U2 sounds still big and doesn't seem aged. Welcome back boys! Best work's still ahead of us!

Love the new remix! No need to compare it to the original; it's a nice new take that's very enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom