Did I miss the "I really hate this album" thread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rivergoat

War Child
I browsed back a few pages, didn't see one. I am wondering if I somehow got a joke copy of SOI, because I don't hear one original or even interesting tune on SOI. What gives? This will be the first U2 album I will not have in my collection in over 30 years of being a fan. No wonder they gave it away for free. Damn. :(

It's an excellent album, shame you don't like it. Each to their own - you don't have to like anything, it's a matter of choice.

I hope you at least try to let it grow on you. I think it's a grower, and the tracks are so different there should be at least one or two songs on there that you could come to like...

I browsed back a few pages, didn't see one. I am wondering if I somehow got a joke copy of SOI, because I don't hear one original or even interesting tune on SOI. What gives? This will be the first U2 album I will not have in my collection in over 30 years of being a fan. No wonder they gave it away for free. Damn.

I'm not really a huge SOI fan either, but I don't hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I hate the album! It just showed up in my iTunes! It sucks and I hate it!

(Typical hipster view, not making fun of OP)

Actually find almost every song very interesting and still can't stop listening to it as a whole.

And don't use the "No wonder they gave it away for free" line, it's very lazy and it really weakens any point you are trying to make. By that logic, every album ever released that cost money was good and that is just ridiculous.

And don't use the "No wonder they gave it away for free" line, it's very lazy and it really weakens any point you are trying to make. By that logic, every album ever released that cost money was good and that is just ridiculous.

:up:

There's a reason why there's not "I hate SOI" thread here. I mean, really, what's to hate here?

Or, to say it with Bono's words: They're the haters, we're the lovers :)

A couple of songs where they ventured out of their comfort zone are actually pretty great (SLABT, TT). The rest can go disappear down a black hole with Mathew McConaughey.

A couple of songs where they ventured out of their comfort zone are actually pretty great (SLABT, TT). The rest can go disappear down a black hole with Mathew McConaughey.

giphy.gif

I don't see any reason not to have a dislike thread. But I'm pretty pleased there wasn't one til now :sexywink:

I browsed back a few pages, didn't see one. I am wondering if I somehow got a joke copy of SOI, because I don't hear one original or even interesting tune on SOI. What gives? This will be the first U2 album I will not have in my collection in over 30 years of being a fan. No wonder they gave it away for free. Damn. :(

Glad I'm not the only one feeling this way, I was really starting to lose touch with this place cause I just don't feel it. The only feeling I have with this new record is that of boredom. I like volcano and miracle, but the rest? Just can't connect to the songs at all. Total snoozefest.

I still have to buy it, am planning on it for the collection but haven't had the time.

I'm pretty unhappy that I don't like it, was looking forward to finally having some new U2 material. But ah well, can't force myself. Hope the tour is better and that perhaps I'll 'get' some of the songs live.

The rest can go disappear down a black hole with Mathew McConaughey.

Is it just me or did that movie lose the plot when that happened. It was proper mind bending,had me scratching my head anyway.i need to watch it again and probaly again!?

The only feeling I have with this new record is that of boredom. I like volcano and miracle, but the rest? Just can't connect to the songs at all. Total snoozefest.

Those are the two songs that are, for me, the weakest ones on the album. Miracle, while a fun song, is mostly a "dull" rock song by the numbers, Volcano has potential, but also not really original. But I don't hate anything on the album, it's just that other songs appeal to me more. I enjoy the acoustic versions, too.

If you are waiting for the tour to make the album better I think you might be in for a disappointment, because so far it looks like U2 really love these acoustic versions and are going for a more stripped-down show.

I still love and enjoy the album, it's a work of beauty. Just a shame that promotional activity was brought to an end now so rapidly. I was really excited for more new songs being played live.

I'm going to try why I'm not a huge fan of this album.

First of all, it really is lacking a strong song. The Trouble is probably my favorite song on the album, but I like it less than my favorite song on every other U2 album, except possibly Boy. I know, consistency is good and all, but this fact deprives me of something to really get excited over. Bomb is a far more mediocre album on the whole, but COBL blows everything on SOI to pieces, so that gives me something to be excited about.

Second, there are a lot of songs that just aren't that interesting to me. Like, they're fine, but just not that exciting. To go down the list:

- The Miracle: I like this song. Silly, but fun.
- Every Breaking Wave: waaaayyyyyy too overdone on the album. Feels like cotton candy. I much prefer the acoustic version and the 2010 live version.
- California: Okay, I really like this, but mainly for sentimental reasons. I spent the best three months of my life in San Diego this summer.
- Song for Someone: Fine, but not that interesting. Good ending.
- Iris: Great.
- Volcano: Fine, but not that interesting.
- Raised By Wolves: Doesn't really work as a song.
- Cedarwood Road: Great.
- Songs 9 and 10: really don't do much for me.
- The Troubles: Great.

Except for the chorus of California (the rest is bllleeeuuuhgghhhhh), I don't start really enjoying the album until Volcano. Iris and EBW (which is a great song that got buried in 21st century U2 bullshit) are OK sometimes. From then on, it's pretty good.

But I agree with Digitize. Not a lot of magic here, nothing gives me the heart-in-throat feeling that the best U2 music does. It's competent. In some ways more competent than NLOTH. But there are 4-5 songs on NLOTH I love, whereas I think the count stands at 0 for SOI. It makes me really sad.

Back
Top Bottom