Did I miss the "I really hate this album" thread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh this is fun. :wink: And nobody will see this coming at all.

NLOTH >> Miracle
Though I actually like Miracle, it has nothing compared to NLOTH.

Magnificent > EBW
Tough one, both songs are meh.. but I loved the acoustic EBW and hate how they ruined it into a poppy happy track like Magnificent. :wink: At least the latter was intended so.

MOS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> California
Need moar >>>>>. Best song of the decade.

UC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SFS

Yawn, at least UC is beautifully haunting and has great vocals and solo from Edge.

CT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Iris
Probably one of the few that loved CT from the start. Iris makes me fall asleep.

Volcano >>> GOYB

While I don't hate Boots, Volcano makes me really happy. This and Miracle saved SoI for me, a little..

SUC > RBW

I don't mind SUC's awkward lyrics, the guitar is fun and the bass great. And it does not have the awkward huffs and puffs of the big bad wolf that annoy the fuck out of me. :crack:

Fez-BB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cedarwood

Fez is fucking awesome. That's all. And it should've opened 360.

WAS > SLABT
Love WAS's simplicity and it changes so often it doesn't make me fall asleep. Unlike the other... like a baby indeed.

Breathe >>>>>>>>>>>>> TIWYCRMN
Breathe is of the many brilliant tracks on NLOTH that make me happy every time I hear it. Kinda has the same effect Volcano has on me. Just instant joy.

Cedars ~ Troubles
Both boring me to tears, I really can't pick which one's worse.

NLOTH:8
SOI: 1
Tied: 1

:wink: Shocking. Absolutely shocking results.

There aren't enough >s in the world to describe how much better NLOTH and MOS are than The Miracle and California.

SOI's opening four is probably the worst they've ever done. HTDAAB is close.

Oh this is fun. :wink: And nobody will see this coming at all.

NLOTH >> Miracle
Though I actually like Miracle, it has nothing compared to NLOTH.

Magnificent > EBW
Tough one, both songs are meh.. but I loved the acoustic EBW and hate how they ruined it into a poppy happy track like Magnificent. :wink: At least the latter was intended so.

MOS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> California
Need moar >>>>>. Best song of the decade.

UC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SFS

Yawn, at least UC is beautifully haunting and has great vocals and solo from Edge.

CT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Iris
Probably one of the few that loved CT from the start. Iris makes me fall asleep.

Volcano >>> GOYB

While I don't hate Boots, Volcano makes me really happy. This and Miracle saved SoI for me, a little..

SUC > RBW

I don't mind SUC's awkward lyrics, the guitar is fun and the bass great. And it does not have the awkward huffs and puffs of the big bad wolf that annoy the fuck out of me. :crack:

Fez-BB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cedarwood

Fez is fucking awesome. That's all. And it should've opened 360.

WAS > SLABT
Love WAS's simplicity and it changes so often it doesn't make me fall asleep. Unlike the other... like a baby indeed.

Breathe >>>>>>>>>>>>> TIWYCRMN
Breathe is of the many brilliant tracks on NLOTH that make me happy every time I hear it. Kinda has the same effect Volcano has on me. Just instant joy.

Cedars ~ Troubles
Both boring me to tears, I really can't pick which one's worse.

NLOTH:8
SOI: 1
Tied: 1

:wink: Shocking. Absolutely shocking results.

:up: I would do one of these but you just about took the words right out of my mouth. We're pretty closely matched here, with a few exceptions.
NLOTH is by far the better album for me. Though nothing is super offensive to me or anything on SOI (except for maybe Raised By Wolves which I disliked from the first listen :wink: )

NLOTH v. Miracle: by a huge margin.
Magnificent v. EBW: by a huge margin.
MOS v. California: Duh.
UC v. SFS: by a fair amount.
CT v. Iris: pretty obvious.
GOYB v. Volcano: GOYB has interesting lyrics and fantastic production. Volcano has neither.
SUC v. RBW: SUC is mediocre. I've disliked RBW since first listen.
F-BB v. Cedarwood: this is a very slight victory. Cedarwood is still a great song.
WAS v. SLABT: by a huge margin.
Breathe v. TIWYCRM: by a huge margin.
Cedars v. Troubles: Cedars is an interesting concept that ends up boring me. The Troubles is a very solid song.

That's a whopping NLOTH 8, SOI 2. Fez versus Cedarwood is close to a tie, but a bunch of NLOTH's victories are landslides.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Miracle >>>>>>>>> NLOTH (dull as fuck)
Magnificent >>> EBW
MOS = California
SFS >>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UC (worst U2 song ever)
Iris >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CT
Volcano >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GOYB
RBW >>>>>>> SUC
Cedarwood >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> F-BB (snore fest/over-rated)
SLABT >>>>>>>>>>>>> WAS
Breathe = TIWYCRM
Troubles >>>>> Cedars

SOI blows NLOTH out of the water and I still really like NLOTH

Mr poop knows his shit!

Miracle
Magnificent (this is getting close)
MOS
SFS(UC is just bad)
Iris
Volcano
RBW
Ceaderwood
Sleep like a Baby
Breath
Troubles(Ceaders is one of the most awful songs I have heard from them).

8-3 SOI wins!

NLOTH >>>>> The Miracle
EBW > Magnificent
California > MOS
UC > SFS
Iris >>>>> Crazy Tonight
Volcano >>> GOYB
SUC >>>>> RBW
Cedarwood >>>>>>>> Fez-BB
SLABT >>>>>>>>> White as Snow
TIWYCRMN > Breathe
The Troubles >>>>>>>>>> Cedars

I'd say SOI's opening seven is the worst they've ever done.

I can get behind this. At least HTDAAB has City of Blinding Lights tucked in there. SOI's first half has:

-Tryhard lead single rocker #3
-Tryhard U2 anthem #466789938
-Tryhard pop hit
-Filler on debut album of a future American Idol winner
-7th best song about Bono's mother

I can get behind this. At least HTDAAB has City of Blinding Lights tucked in there. SOI's first half has:

-Tryhard pop hit

lol. You're not far off the mark, even though I enjoy a fair amount of the opening seven.

NLOTH > The Miracle

EBW > Magnificent

MOS > California

UC > SFS

Iris > Crazy Tonight

Volcano > GOYB

RBW > SUC

Cedarwood > Fez-BB

SLABT > White as Snow

TIWYCRMN > Breathe (only just)

The Troubles > Cedars

SOI - 8
NLOTH - 3

:up: I would do one of these but you just about took the words right out of my mouth. We're pretty closely matched here, with a few exceptions.
NLOTH is by far the better album for me. Though nothing is super offensive to me or anything on SOI (except for maybe Raised By Wolves which I disliked from the first listen :wink: )
:flirt: How you doin'! Always known you had good taste!

I think I would've liked Raised By Wolves a LOT more if it didn't have those annoying huffing noises.... why? Just WHY? :crack: I hated that instantly, while the rest of the song wasn't bad at all.

-Tryhard pop hit

And it has Miracle Drug! Epic guitar work and solo and vocals by Edge! :D

:uhoh: Yeah I know, I'm one of the few people who like that track. But still!

:flirt: How you doin'! Always known you had good taste!

I think I would've liked Raised By Wolves a LOT more if it didn't have those annoying huffing noises.... why? Just WHY? :crack: I hated that instantly, while the rest of the song wasn't bad at all.

And it has Miracle Drug! Epic guitar work and solo and vocals by Edge! :D

:uhoh: Yeah I know, I'm one of the few people who like that track. But still!

YES, exactly on the RBW thing. Same here, those sniffing sounds, wtf.

I really dislike the RBW chorus, specifically when Bono sings "RAISED BY WOLVES, we were raised by wolves".

Wow, you must really be down on SoI. White as Snow is about as forgettable a track as they have ever recorded.

No, I just like White As Snow. Good story, pretty melody. The forced falsetto and clunky lyrics of SLABT ruin its intriguing production and atmosphere.

NLOTH > Miracle
Magnificent < EBW (both strong)
MOS > California
UC < SFS
CT < IRIS
Boots < Volcano (both weak)
SUC < RBW
Fez < Sleep
WAS < Cedarwood
Breathe = Reach
Cedars < Troubles (both strong)

No Line 5-2 Miracle
Magnificent 1-5 Every Breaking Wave
Moment of Surrender 4-2 California
Unknown Caller 3-2 Song for Someone
Crazy Tonight 3-3 Iris
Boots 1-3 Volcano
Stand Up 1-4 Raised by Wolves
Fez 5-5 Cedarwood Road
White as Snow 2-4 Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
Breathe 4-3 Reach me Now
Cedars of Lebanon 2-4 The Troubles

GAMES
NLOTH = 5
SOI = 6

SOI = 37

5. GREAT
NLOTH 2-2 SOI

4. VERY GOOD
NLOTH 2-3 SOI

3. GOOD
NLOTH 2-3 SOI

2. DECENT
NLOTH 2-3 SOI

1. MEDIOCRE
NLOTH 3-0 SOI

NLOTH vs. Miracle
Magnificent vs. Every Breaking Wave (close)
Moment of Surrender vs. California
Unknown Caller vs. Song for Someone
Crazy Tonight vs. Iris
Boots vs. Volcano
Stand UP vs. Raised By Wolves
Fez vs. Cedarwood Road
White as Snow vs. Sleep Like a Baby
Breathe vs. Reach Me Now
Cedars of Lebanon vs. Troubles

NLOTH: 4 SOI: 7

I'd probably flop on my EBW and SFS choices at any random point... so they end up being closer than my final score suggests. Again, the narrative seems consistent about these two albums... NLOTH hits "higher highs" and SOI is about as consistent as they've been in a while.

I'd take "Raised By Wolves" over "Stand Up Comedy" but that's it.

So 10-1 in favor of NLOTH.

"California" is the only legitimately good tune on the new album. There's a few other sort of interesting ones though. And I guess there's two good songs if I count "The Crystal Ballroom"

Wow, you must really be down on SoI. White as Snow is about as forgettable a track as they have ever recorded.

I with you! Its an "okay" song but there is nothing there, it's very meh. Now Sleep Like a Baby is very interesting, with layers of sounds that are wonderful compliance,mets to one another. Really enjoy this song....minus the falsetto.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

"California" is the only legitimately good tune on the new album. There's a few other sort of interesting ones though. And I guess there's two good songs if I count "The Crystal Ballroom"

Crystal Ballroom is better than 75% of the album, I'd say. Why anyone would want to listen to Song For Someone instead, I have no idea.

NLOTH
EBW
MOS
UC
Iris
Draw
RBW
Fez-BB
White As Snow just
Breathe just
The Troubles

Magnificent I just don't get enthused like others do. I like the Boots riff better but the lyrics bring it down.

Stand Up Comedy is a primary example of cringe worthy U2. I think RBW will go well live sample sounds and all. Both solid albums from men in their 50s so I've been appreciative of the output but it's a shame there hasn't been a bit more content.

Sent from down the rabbit hole

Ranking of tracks from NLOTH and SOI.
1 Invisible 2 WAS 3 Reach 4 Magnificent 5 Iris 6 MOS 7 RBW (acoustic) 8 EBW 9 TCB 10 NLOTH 11 Fez 12 Winter (Brothers) 13 I'll Go Crazy 14 California 15 Troubles 16 Cedarwood 17 Miracle 18 Volcano 19 Lucifer's Hands 20 SFS 21 Cedars 22 SLABT 23 GYOB 24 Breathe 25 UC

Go F**k Yourself SUC
So, as I originally predicted the sh*t house listening of a good portion of this album ended up derailing the whole thing.
Final average. SOI 12.5
NLOTH 15
Well this was a massive waste of time.

Very tempted to do this exercise, so here goes:

No Line On The Horizon vs. The Miracle

I really like both but chose No Line because it is both atmospheric and rocking at the same time and a great opener to the album, whereas The Miracle is more straightforward rock.

Magnificent vs. Every Breaking Wave

Magnificent! With its great intro, interesting chord changes and quintessential Edge guitar, the song gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it after a long gap.

Moment Of Surrender vs. California

Moment Of Surrender. No contest! Epic U2 song of the 2000s vs. Arcade Fire-wannabe track with a weird intro.

Unknown Caller vs. Song For Someone

Unknown Caller's chorus is so atrocious, I have to choose SFS here. The latter has got a great vocal delivery from Bono, hardly any weak lyrics and a lovely subtle ending.

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight vs. Iris

Iris. No fucking contest! Iris is a mammoth of a song! Whereas, the other one is a mammoth of a.. title.

Get On Your Boots vs. Volcano

Both are weak but Volcano slightly wins out for me. At least it sounds sexy, not whiny. And better lyrics too on Volcano.

Stand Up Comedy vs. Raised By Wolves

Um... lol. Yeah RBW.

Fez Being Born vs. Cedarwood Road

Ugh! This is a difficult one. Both are brilliant. Fez gives me goosebumps in parts. But it also rambles on a bit. Cedarwood Rd is perfect. I cannot find anything to complain about with this song.

White As Snow vs. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight

WAS is beautiful and all but Sleep is one of their best, most refreshing songs since 2000.

Breathe vs. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now

Both are good for different reasons. Breathe is an exhilarating rocker! Reach Me Now is a wonderful throwback to the early 80s. I give the edge to Reach. Breathe has got some clunky lyrics that don't quite fit.

Cedars Of Lebanon vs. The Troubles

Ugh! Another extremely difficult one! Cedars is fantastic! A great closer to No Line. Good lyrics. Perfect vocal delivery in the lower register, how I like it. The Troubles on the other hand is almost on the level of Love Is Blindness greatness! Amazing! .... Tie.

So that's...

NLOTH 3
SOI 7
Tie 1

Feels funny to me to compare tracks on an individual basis esp re fixed order... like picking a favorite child.

The thing I've always loved about u2 is they make complete albums. This one's stronger in that category for me than nloth. The miracle is only marginally skip-worthy compared to boots and a couple of others, but there are also songs I love on nloth.

I think SOI's on par with some of their classics in the "cohesive unit" category. I can deal with California and miracle somewhat because they seem to fit. Meanwhile, there are better songs I like less in track orders of other albums because of where they're placed. (Htdaab?)

Never really liked u2 on shuffle.

WAS has dynamics, various layers of the music, a nice lyrical story and epic french horns. Certainly not as dull as forgettable as things like Sleep like a baby or Troubles.

To be honest, I'm not really wild about The Troubles either, but it has a nice melody and a good (albeit overused) hook from Lykke Li. It's not a musical revelation and it fades out before it really lets loose, but it's one of the most subtle and measured tracks on the album. It would be my least favorite song on Achtung Baby, but it's definitely a highlight here.

I also really like that the title is a red herring. Some may have been disappointed, but I thought it was clever.

Last edited:
Unknown Caller vs. Song For Someone

Unknown Caller's chorus is so atrocious, I have to choose SFS here. The latter has got a great vocal delivery from Bono, hardly any weak lyrics and a lovely subtle ending.

This! All day long, well said.

I am a big fan of SFS. I really enjoy the song with its straight forward lyrics and beautiful melody. UC I always felt was forgettable and the chorus is absolutely terrible. It never took off with me.

Back
Top Bottom