Did I miss the "I really hate this album" thread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still too early to really "rank" it among their other works.

That said, I find I am listening to SOI far more than I listened to NLOTH or HTDAAB during their first few months of release.

Not a huge NLOTH fan, but I will say that Breathe is one of my favorite songs of theirs since 2000. Also a big fan of the title track, and Fez-Being Born is a great listen as well.

Other than that, the rest of the album doesn't interest me much.

I do find it interesting how drastically people's opinions of NLOTH have changed since its release. That's why I hold off giving a final opinion on SOI at this point. SOI needs a few years before it can truly be put into proper perspective.

I love No Line, Fez and Breathe.
I don't like Magnificent (I can tolerate it moving it almost to the end of the album).
Boots and Stand Up could've been great songs, I don't dislike them that much, but I feel myself very stupid singing "get on your boots! sexy boots!" or "stand up for your love!" (that sounds like the Pointer Sisters).

I don't think is that bad, but it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't think SOI will be like that, I don't feel stupid for any song. SOI best songs are not as good as No Line's best, but SOI doesn't have a "controversial" song as two or three in NLOTH.

So I think it's safe to say that SOI won't be considered as the worst U2 album or anything like that, I don't think the overall feeling about this album will change that much; if anything, in a few years it'll probably be considered a "bland" album (depending of the tour and whatever happens in the next year), but I don't believe it'll get such passionate critics as NLOTH or even POP have had.

Album is light beer....coors lights. Seems the boys can still write /make great ballads. Full on rock is becoming a tad tedious. Miracle & Wolves just grind the ears. Lovin' Troubles & Reach though. After 5 yrs working on this I was disappointed but seems to have more standouts than nloth

Sent from my GT-I9500 using U2 Interference mobile app

:lol: We couldn't disagree more on both accounts. Magnificent is one of the weakest songs on NLOTH to me, and I love the album. :wink:

Same here. I find Magnificent to be my usual skip track. I never understood the hype about it and why it came out as a single.
The single release strategy hurt the album commercially. Breathe could have been a real solid first single.

I appreciate NLOTH and giving me Breathe, White As Snow, Fez, MOS, Unknown Caller (less the lyrical catastrophe of the chorus) and the title track. I like SOI more as a whole but I won't shit on NLOTH because of that fact. On a side note I was in Morocco and walked the streets listening to NLOTH so it will always have a special place for me

Sent from down the rabbit hole

Get On Your Boots was a terrible first single. But they couldn't have picked a better single than Magnificent for NLOTH. It is not their fault if it failed or whatever.

Sent from my GT-I9060 using U2 Interference mobile app

For me, comparing NLOTH and SOI is a little ridiculous, because I like NLOTH so much more. It's in a completely different league than SOI. NLOTH is definitely in my top tier of U2 albums, while SOI is in my bottom tier.

But yes, as has been said over and over here, Boots was a horrific choice for lead single.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

sloth-with-glasses.jpg

NLOTH

I'm trying, I really am. I am forcing myself to listen to this album once a day, every day, no skips! (Okay, I keep skipping the latter half of EBW because it annoys the hell out of me by that point).

I still don't get it.

I am not looking for an "instant classic" or even anything that has a comparable sound to anything else U2 has done. I rather prefer them to not sound the same album to album. I started with U2 back in 1983, and have been a "satisfied customer" with every new "product" they've put out, despite (or because of) the differences from their previous work. Though I have dropped a few songs here and there from my collection (Pride - the album version, Miami, and a few others come to mind), I have always rocked out to every U2 release. This one? I just don't get it. Nothing sticks. I've even gone through what acoustic versions I can find. I am so sad.

Okay, I'm done. I tried. I really did. I AM glad that they still have fans of this new record - it will hopefully encourage them to keep recording new music. Guess I'll see when the new album comes out. Hope it's not a rehash of the same sound as this one.

Why would you force yourself to listen to an album every day? Just say you don't like it and leave it at that, I don't see why a big song and dance needs to be made about it.

I recently decided to do a song for song comparison of NLOTH and SOI now that things have started to settle.
NLOTH vs. The Miracle
-I like both, but NLOTH has the slight edge.
Magnificent vs. EBW
-This is the toughest ranking as I really like both songs. I say Magnificent, but very close.
MOS vs. California
-I like California, but MOS wins easily.
SFS vs. UC
-SFS is a solid song. Nothing special. Always been a big fan of UC, though. UC wins this one.
Iris vs. I'll Go Crazy
-I like I'll Go Crazy pretty decently actually, but Iris is on another planet. Iris wins easily.
Volcano vs. GOYB
-Volcano. I don't mind the GOYB too bad on a shuffle once in a while. But Volcano is way better.
SUC vs RBW
-RBW not even remotely close.
Cedarwood vs. Fez
-Another tough one. I like Cedarwood quite a bit. But Fez is amazing. Fez wins.
WAS vs. Sleep Like A Baby
-I really like both. But WAS wins.
Reach vs. Breathe
-Reach easily. Best song between the 2 albums.
Troubles vs. Cedars
-I like Cedars. Troubles is better. Just kidding, Cedars wins.
Bonus tracks give SOI a huge bounce, though. CB and Invisible are phenomenal and LH is pretty good.

So SOI slightly wins 6-5 (just kidding, they lost 7-4) but the bonus tracks put it slightly over the top. NLOTH, though, isn't a great album ( by U2 standards). It feels like individual songs, not a classic U2 album feel. SOI is not a classic either.

SOI will hold up well in U2's catalogue in the future imo, but how good SOE is will impact it.

Edit: I've had a change of heart. Magnificent beats EBW. And Cedars beats Troubles. So NLOTH wins 7-4. I went back and listened to those two. Magnificent beats EBW slightly. I was too hard on NLOTH.
Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

NLOTH >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Miracle
Magnificent >>>>>>>>> EBW
MOS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> California
UC >>>> SFS
Iris >>> Crazy Tonight
Volcano >>>>>>>> Boots
Raised by Wolves >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SUC
Fez >>>>>>>>>>>> Cedarwood Road
White As Snow > SLABT
Breathe >>>>>>>>> Reach Around
Cedars > Troubles

NLOTH - 8
SOI - 3

The first 3 is embarrassingly one-sided. There are a couple of close ones though.

Last edited:
I want to play.

NLOTH vs. The Miracle
-I really like The Miracle a lot, but I batshit crazy love NLOTH (and think there could have been a very different outcome for the album if it had been a single).
Magnificent vs. EBW
-No contest for me - EBW.
MoS vs. California
-California is WAY ahead for me. I think I'm the only person on here who doesn't see MoS as anything special. It kind of annoys me.
SFS vs. UC
-UC wins, I've always liked it a lot. And being paired with one of SoI's weaker songs helps it.
Iris vs. I'll Go Crazy
-Iris - not that fond of I'll Go Crazy. Not even live. It was fun to see for the novelty of it, but otherwise, meh.
Volcano vs. GOYB
-Volcano. No contest.
SUC vs RBW
-RBW - not even remotely close (agree).
Cedarwood vs. Fez
-Cedarwood is weird for me. Intellectually, I know it's a good song, but it just hasn't clicked for me yet. So, this one goes to Fez.
WAS vs. Sleep Like A Baby
-Never really connected with WAS, and I love SLaB.
Reach vs. Breathe
-Reach. Breathe is just middling to me.
Troubles vs. Cedars
-This one is the hardest for me because I love them both, but probably I have to give an edge to Troubles. After the novelty wears off of SoI, I can see these two being interchangeable for me, depending on my mood.

NLOTH - 3
SoI - 8

My turn!

NLOTH Vs. Miracle - although I'm pretty indifferent towards both of these, NLOTH has a less grating sound to it, although Bono sings better in Miracle. Hmm..tough one. Let's call it a tie.

Magnificent Vs. EBW - Parts of Magnificent give me goosebumps. Can't say that for EBW.

MOS Vs. California - I really like California, but this is MOS. 'Nuff said.

UC Vs. SFS - Unknown Caller by a landslide. And I don't even really like it that much.

CT Vs. Iris - IiiiiiiRiiiiiiss. This wasn't hard.

GOYB Vs. Volcano - This is the one of the only times GOYB will ever ever win anything. Hey, it deserves it.

SUC Vs. RBW - Really?

F-BB Vs. Cedarwood - Fez, Definitely, Fez. Being Born on the other hand. Just kidding. The whole thing.

WAS Vs. Sleep Like A Baby - I love WAS, but SLAB is fucking sick.

Breathe Vs. Reach - Not crazy about either, but if pressed I'd say Reach.

Cedars Vs. Troubles - Troubles crushes.

NLOTH - 5
SOI - 5

And one tie!

Oh my God! This was illuminating.

NLOTH v. Miracle
Magnificent v. EBW
MOS v. California
UC v. SFS
CT v. Iris
GOYB v. Volcano
SUC v. RBW