Daniel Lanois weighs in on SOI/Apple

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha, Daniel Lanois doesn't say anything immensely positive about SOI in his latest statements TRANSLATE into: It's time to turn this thread into a new "SOI Autopsy thread" because one is not enough.

Haha, Daniel Lanois doesn't say anything immensely positive about SOI in his latest statements TRANSLATE into: It's time to turn this thread into a new "SOI Autopsy thread" because one is not enough.

He didn't say anything positive at all, "immensely" or otherwise. And how unusual to talk about Daniel Lanois comments in a thread about Daniel Lanois comments.

Of course, people are free to interpret his comments in whatever way they wish. I'm sure saying that it would have been better if they'd not released the record at all and went straight to the tour was just his way of just saying he loved it. ☺

If you think SOI is a brazenly creative album and a record with NLOTH, MOS, Unknown Caller, Fez, White As Snow and Cedars is lacking moments where the band went out on a limb, I don't think we're going to agree.

I think they started out very creatively in morocco, but then they got scared if they haven´t gone too far and rushed back into their comfort zone while finishing the record in Dublin. I wonder if Lanois and Eno were also involved in the Dublin sessions.

Of course, people are free to interpret his comments that it would have been better had they not released the record at all and went straight to the tour in whatever way they wish. I'm sure that was just his way of just saying he loved it. ☺

“It’s harder and harder making a record and being somebody that’s breaking ground."

^speaking in general and not about a specific album.

But continue trying too hard...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

No, you're not wrong. Every U2 + Eno + Lanois album is more creative and rewarding than SOI. Tellingly, Eno/Lanois didn't receive writing credits for the Trilogy of Terror on NLOTH, but they did for NLOTH, MOS, Fez and basically every track people enjoy from the album.

That being said, I think trying to divine anything conclusive about Lanois' stand on SOI from a few offhand comments (or lack thereof) is ridiculous. Downplaying his legacy over it, even more so. Lanois may very well love the album (or hate it) and that says nothing about his skill as a producer.

Maybe not writing but they sure helped producing two of the most reviled songs on NLOTH and arguably two worst U2 songs with them producing -- Boots and SUC.

Also, at this point, having heard 00's albums, I'm not convinced we can get a great U2 album with Eno and Lanois (+ Lillywhite). SOI makes me think their hope is on new pastures, producer-wise.

Hold on for a second... Boots are amazing and lately I realized Comedy is not as bad as many here state. It has drive, energy and many good hooks, but it is also a bit messy and forced. Anyway, better than couple of other boring, lost songs on that record, or many songs on ATYCLB, Pop or War album for example

Maybe not writing but they sure helped producing two of the most reviled songs on NLOTH and arguably two worst U2 songs with them producing -- Boots and SUC.

Also, at this point, having heard 00's albums, I'm not convinced we can get a great U2 album with Eno and Lanois (+ Lillywhite). SOI makes me think their hope is on new pastures, producer-wise.

Even Eno and Lanois couldn't polish the turd that is SUC.

You're thinking of Larry. I didn't save Danny's life...on the contrary, he might have saved mine with Acadie.

Danny, along with Brian, has influenced everyone's life on this site because without Danny and Brian there is no U2 as we know them today. That's indisputable. U2 are a different, lesser band without them. Take away SOI, Pop, and Bomb and U2's stature is essentially untouched. Take away the records that Eno and Lanois are on and you have the Simple Minds...i.e. U2 as an interesting 80's band that generally only gets heard on Sirius channel 08 and various 80's nostalgia stations.

i dunno, Boy/October/War are pretty amazing for a bunch of teenagers, and War has 2 of their most iconic, legacy-building songs. Zooropa has no Lanois. and it's not like NLOTH did anything for their stature other than justify a gargantuan world tour.

it all falls on U2, at the end of the day. either they bring it or they don't.

Absolutely. I give U2 a lot of credit for being smart enough to reach out to Eno for TUF, and for listening to him when he suggested they bring in Lanois.

Best decision they ever made.

You know what we need? Records made by the Edge and Brian Eno, no Danny Lanois. I just want to hear some nutty music produced by hat duo; it worked in Zooropa, so....

You know what we need? Records made by the Edge and Brian Eno, no Danny Lanois. I just want to hear some nutty music produced by hat duo; it worked in Zooropa, so....

Eno's not on it, but you might want to check out the Captive soundtrack.

Also there's this...

220px-Passengersost1.jpg

Eno's not on it, but you might want to check out the Captive soundtrack.

Also there's this...

220px-Passengersost1.jpg

Do you guys consider Passengers to be part of U2's catalog?

Okay, I was just kidding.....

I personally can´t imagine his part was major for this record. I remember Edge saying, that he came to the studio one day in Berlin and he heard Lanois playing a song that sounded like from JT, Edge was so disgusted he immediately left the studio...

Lanois was the sole producer on five songs. He was there for the making of the whole album. To suggest that his part wasn't major is a bit off. He was the primary producer on the album. The songs Eno worked on are Lanios WITH Eno, except for Real thing, which is Lillywhite WITH Eno + Lanois, and Wild Horses which is Lillywhite, Eno, AND Lanois. The "with" implies a secondary importance or level of involvement. Achtung is more Lanois record than Eno.

Absolutely. I give U2 a lot of credit for being smart enough to reach out to Eno for TUF, and for listening to him when he suggested they bring in Lanois.

Best decision they ever made.

They reached out to Colin Newman and Conny Plank first, so Eno was third on their list. U2 didn't make the decision as much as they were forced into it.

To infer that Lanois is saying he doesn't like SOI is a bit insane. You're ascribing feelings to him that he in no way professes to have. All he does is say that the most rebellious thing they could do is just play the songs live because they're a much better live act. There's no criticism of SOI at all there. If anything, he compliments SOI by saying that they want to do extraordinary things and that's why the record took so long.

Take away the records that Eno and Lanois are on and you have the Simple Minds...i.e. U2 as an interesting 80's band that generally only gets heard on Sirius channel 08 and various 80's nostalgia stations.

Sounds kinda like the airplay U2 are getting these days.

I say bring back Howie B and Flood and let them produce a record together again and challenge the status quo. POP could have been the best record U2 ever produced if it was finished properly and that didn't have Eno or Lanios involvement.

I say why not the Edge produces all the album instead of relying on collaboration? I might be extreme, but I think some recent producers like Danger Mouse just like to interfere with artists. Plus, having Dany and Brian isn't the solution either because I don't think they have fresh ideas (Brian Eno might have one, but definitely not Dany). In this era of producers making music (Danger Mouse, bunch of EDM guts like Avicii, Nile Rodgers, etc), it might sound fresh if artists produce themselves (sorry, Muse produced some of their albums, didnt they?).

I say why not the Edge produces all the album instead of relying on collaboration? I might be extreme, but I think some recent producers like Danger Mouse just like to interfere with artists. Plus, having Dany and Brian isn't the solution either because I don't think they have fresh ideas (Brian Eno might have one, but definitely not Dany). In this era of producers making music (Danger Mouse, bunch of EDM guts like Avicii, Nile Rodgers, etc), it might sound fresh if artists produce themselves (sorry, Muse produced some of their albums, didnt they?).

Get Muse to produce U2!

You realize that Edge is the one pushing for more acoustic guitar writing, right? I know most won't agree with this, but I think Bono is the only one left with some art rock in him.

Plus look at the credits for NLOTH, the most loathed song(probably) is credited to only U2.

If U2 produced themselves we would never get an album. What U2 needs to do is find a non-yesman/woman and have that person be their "grooveman" like Howie B and have Danger Mouse produce. OR just one single producer. I really like this album, and it's the most consistent they've had since the 90s. But I don't want that kind of wait again...

You realize that Edge is the one pushing for more acoustic guitar writing, right? I know most won't agree with this, but I think Bono is the only one left with some art rock in him.

Plus look at the credits for NLOTH, the most loathed song(probably) is credited to only U2.

If U2 produced themselves we would never get an album. What U2 needs to do is find a non-yesman/woman and have that person be their "grooveman" like Howie B and have Danger Mouse produce. OR just one single producer. I really like this album, and it's the most consistent they've had since the 90s. But I don't want that kind of wait again...

Wait, isn't Bono pushing the acoustic idea because he listened to Rick Rubin? where do you guys get those info. from? But it's true that acoustic playing is something they haven't done sonically. What I am saying is that we need someone lie Steve Albini who just focus on the production aspect.

And the reason I want Edge to do something is because he's almost the only one who can really do it. He can listen other parts, edit them, Doing sound treatments and all sort of stuff, while others haven't done that.

I don´t think so Edge would be a good choice. He is now into 70´s hard rock - art rock riffs and sounds that he tries to rip off anytime he has a chance. Moreover he is not as innovative/creative regarding sound as he once used to be.

I wouldn´t recommend Howie be either, because when he produced Pop it was a fail. He didn´t manage to put together dance electronic sounds with a rock band songs and the result was a mess.

Danger Mouse was perhaps the best decision the band has made in years.

Danger Mouse was perhaps the best decision the band has made in years.

I'm not sure this is saying much. Their other decisions the past few years have included ditching Magoo, the failed/aborted/abandoned Invisible Super Bowl non-starter, the misguided "have to be able to play it acoustically" songwriting process, and of course the Apple fiasco.

That said, DM is probably the only thing that saved this record and made it as good as it is.

Plus, having Dany and Brian isn't the solution either because I don't think they have fresh ideas (Brian Eno might have one, but definitely not Dany).

No way is that true - Lanois' most recent album is more creative than anything Eno or U2 have done since the 90s. It's a pretty original piece of work. I think that working with Lanois (or Flood) as the sole producer would be a great thing for U2 to do. They're both highly versatile producers. U2 were the ones who pulled NLOTH back from being an art rock record to the horrid mishmash it is, not Lanois. His instincts are to go far out; U2's are to stay in.

Back
Top Bottom